EAPSI 2016

Samieru

Catching up with the topic. I got my tentative offer for Singapore first week of Feb. I am still waiting for an official offer... is there a deadline for that? 
FYI: I live in Washington and I used to live in Japan for several years; let me know if you have any questions :) 

On 3/17/2016 at 4:31 PM, helene said:

My understanding was that those were made when you registered.  One of the emails I got from Andrea said " Hotel accommodations will be made for you based on the dates indicated on your registration form."  I'm assuming that means we automatically have a room at the Marriott where the meeting is...although it doesn't specify if we are sharing rooms or not (I'd guess, based on how pricey that hotel is, that we'll each get a roommate).

Thanks for the reply! I just wasn't sure if I needed to contact anyone about the hotel accommodations aside from my registration form, but it makes sense that they would just automatically make those reservations. 

On 3/17/2016 at 4:31 PM, helene said:

My understanding was that those were made when you registered.  One of the emails I got from Andrea said " Hotel accommodations will be made for you based on the dates indicated on your registration form."  I'm assuming that means we automatically have a room at the Marriott where the meeting is...although it doesn't specify if we are sharing rooms or not (I'd guess, based on how pricey that hotel is, that we'll each get a roommate).

For the record, during last year's orientation we each had individual rooms (I forget which hotel we stayed in exactly, but I presume its the same one or nearby - Crystal City metro stop?). Due to the sheer number of people, everyone ended up with a different style room - some were in double doubles, some people had literal suites. Personally, I had a corner room (nice double window view) and king bed. Seems to me like it would be much more cost effective to *at least* double up, but who knows - they didn't!

19 hours ago, guttata said:

For the record, during last year's orientation we each had individual rooms (I forget which hotel we stayed in exactly, but I presume its the same one or nearby - Crystal City metro stop?). Due to the sheer number of people, everyone ended up with a different style room - some were in double doubles, some people had literal suites. Personally, I had a corner room (nice double window view) and king bed. Seems to me like it would be much more cost effective to *at least* double up, but who knows - they didn't!

That would be nice.  It's probably the same hotel if they give such a good group rate that they don't have to double us up...and from what I remember from my parents working there, Crystal City is more office buildings than hotels.

On 3/23/2016 at 11:34 AM, helene said:

That would be nice.  It's probably the same hotel if they give such a good group rate that they don't have to double us up...and from what I remember from my parents working there, Crystal City is more office buildings than hotels.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/waspy-renaissance-arlington-capital-view-hotel/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

For those of you who applied to EAPSI in previous years, would you be willing to provide some advice to those of us who are just getting started on our applications for the 2017 program? My specific concern is how to handle the initial contact with prospective host researchers. I can't decide which of the following options is more appropriate and likely to be well-received:

1. "I propose to research XYZ using methods XYZ. Would you be willing to host me and fund the proposed research?"
  2. "My general interests are XYZ. Do you have any ongoing projects in this research area that I could participate in during summer 2017?"

I feel like Option 2 is more polite, but Option 1 conveys a "go-getter" perspective that could be desirable in certain circumstances. Unfortunately, my field of study/research methodology (field-based environmental science) requires costly equipment and support personnel that would not be covered by EAPSI funding, so asking the host to provide these (boldface in Option 1) is an elephant in the room that cannot be ignored. How have other people handled this?