Chemical Biology Application - Help!

mrchemistry

Dear friends,
   My major is chemistry and I want to apply for chemical biology graduate program, and I don't know if I have a chance to go to a high rank school or not. My choices are: Scripps, Rockefeller, Cornell Weill, Sloan Kettering, Cold spring harbor. But, my advisor said I don’t have a chance because first these schools don’t accept international students (well) and second because of my GRE verbal score. (I deleted Berkeley and Harvard chemistry department from my list at first :(   )
I would be happy if you have any information about these schools or any other school and if I have chance for them. My CV is sth like this:

GPA: 3.9/4 Chemistry
GRE: v~150  q~165  W~3  chemistry=830(85%)
TOEFL: 100
Pubs: 2 papers (good impact ISI J.) and 1 international conference and 2 national conferences (all as main contributor)

What?  I don't get why your advisor would say that considering that you have good stats.  Why don't you ask your adviser which schools typically accept international students and start from there?

He has USC, UCSB in mind, and they are not even in top 30 ranking (for chemistry). I don't know what is his strategy about it.

I would press your adviser for his logical reasoning behind it, if it really comes down to it, you should just email the schools you are interested in and ask what fraction of international students they admit each year.

Thanks, It is a good idea. I start to email,..

On 10/31/2015, 9:06:33, eteshoe said:

Private schools tend to be more accepting of international applicants on average

I emailed to all universities  I had in mind. you're right, there private schools have higher international rate.

17 hours ago, doyouevenchop said:

I'm a current first-year in chemical biology at Scripps. Can't speak for the other schools, but Scripps definitely takes international students. I believe exam scores are looked at more rigorously, but it seems like you have decent scores.

Thanks for your answer, Scripps is my best choice. Hope they accept me!