Are GRE scores weighted heavier than a completed M.S. degree?

GeoD

I recently completed an M.S. degree in geology, and I am in the process of applying to PhD programs.  I feel that my GRE scores are mediocre, but I have also been told that ability to do research is paramount when applying to PhD programs.  I recently won a student research award and have had very positive feedback on my thesis work.  Does anyone have any experience with this subject?  My scores are 156V 153Q 4AW total (combined 178 percentile).  If they aren't going to matter, I would rather focus my time before application due dates on publishing... but I definitely don't want to screw myself over.  Your input is greatly appreciated! 

My scores are 156V 153Q 4AW total (combined 178 percentile).

Percentiles don't tend to be represented by the  sum of all your "percentiles". 

Anyway, those are bad, but those are on the edge of what I think most cutoffs seem to be (around 310-315). If you have someone you've contacted at each palce your applying to, I'm sure someone will look at your application. Your SoP and letters will probably do more to determine where you do your PhD. There are certainly people with worse GRE scores than you doing PhD programs in Earth Sciences, with and without masters degrees. 

I would ask your MSc advisor what he/she thought, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Though, the GRE shouldn't be a big deal to take, with the exception that its a little expensive. 

Edited by GeoDUDE!