Attending local/regional program - transferring to DC?

I was wondering if one attended a local/regional MPA (Public Administration) at UIC, what would be the possibility to move to DC and work in the government agencies and think tanks? East coast schools will no doubt dominate the applications pool, of course. I'm located in Chicago and I think I'm going to get some work experience in the city and then try my luck in DC a few years from now. From what I've read it isn't like getting an MBA at #40 ranked school and wanting to enter i-banking or consulting, yet I'm just worried that I'm limiting my chances to work in DC since I'm unaware of how extensive the program's alumni network is.

I suppose since it's politics it all depends on how I progress in my career here in Chicago and the networking that's available in the program; I've looked at the faculty, though small, seems pretty decent. Add to the fact that tuition for in-state is a downright cheap.

Edited by UrbanMidwest

I would suggest to contact your program's career office and get some data on career destination of alumni in DC area. Based on my impression of bios on LinkedIn and professionals I met at mixers, it is possible to get a good MPA education at a Midwest uni and land a job in DC. There are some catalysts: summer internships, networking, DC alumni chapter and incidentally bringing the right skills.

I think you are on the right track and in state tuition is a big selling point as you will minimize your student debt. I am sure Chicago with its many opportunities is a good place to get some work experience.

I really think questions like this come down to "your mileage may vary". If you have the educational background, relevant work experience, and practical skill set, I personally don't see what would prevent you from working in DC (other than finding open positions, of course!).

I graduated from UF in May 2014 and got job offers in NYC, Philadelphia and DC within 3 months. I took the DC offer and now work in social policy advocacy, my dream job out of undergrad. I've seen other posters really hone in on the prestige of degrees and being "outsiders" to DC... but it is totally possible to move here and work in the policy field so long as you advocate for yourself and why you can do the job well.

edit: Just wanted to add that my org has also hired out-of-staters with master's degrees + work experience, including Kansas and Michigan! 

Edited by RCtheSS

On 11/2/2015, 2:24:02, RCtheSS said:

I've seen other posters really hone in on the prestige of degrees and being "outsiders" to DC...

Can you expand on this, please?

OT: If you don't mind me asking, how's DC as a city? I heard it's rather expensive to live in the proper.

Edited by UrbanMidwest