Gender Studies- fall 2016

37 minutes ago, sillysocks said:

Hello fellow gender/sexuality/women's studies friends. I was just accepted into the University of Kentucky program! I am super excited considering I was part of the University of Washington rejection pile and was feeling pretty down last week. 

Congrats Sillysocks!!!! <3

On 1/25/2016 at 11:01 AM, everythingisfine said:

Where else did you apply?

I applied to American Studies at Minnesota and Film and Media Studies at UC Santa Barbara, in addition to Washington and UCLA. I haven't heard from any other programs yet besides Washington though

25 minutes ago, sunny_daze said:

I applied to American Studies at Minnesota and Film and Media Studies at UC Santa Barbara, in addition to Washington and UCLA. I haven't heard from any other programs yet besides Washington though

What an eclectic mix. I saw on the results page that someone got accepted to the UCLA program yesterday. Did your Washington rejection have a personalized piece of "advice" in it? I did not enjoy that.

1 hour ago, annukncite said:

@sillysocks. Congrats! I got accepted at University at Kentucky as well. Have you heard anything from them about funding?

Congrats to you too, Annukncite! I was told that I am nominated for an university-wide fellowship. But no word on department funding yet. I am kinda worried that the nomination is a "look for funding elsewhere since the GWS department can't fund you"  But who knows. I hope they tell us something soon!

22 hours ago, sillysocks said:

Congrats to you too, Annukncite! I was told that I am nominated for an university-wide fellowship. But no word on department funding yet. I am kinda worried that the nomination is a "look for funding elsewhere since the GWS department can't fund you"  But who knows. I hope they tell us something soon!

thanks sillysocks! I hope they are able to fund us some way . Fingers crossed!! Also, do you think they are covering for travel and accommodation for the Campus Day event in March?

I'm loving how excited everyone is in this thread! :) I'm the one who posted the UCLA admit (sorry for being quiet! I've just been lurking for a few months). If anyone has any questions about the UCLA process, I'd be more than happy to answer to the extent of my limited knowledge. Hopefully I'll know more after the campus visit in March. 

Everyone seems so sweet on here! I applied to 6 schools for chicano/latino/culture/ethnic studies (UCLA, UCR,UCD, UCB, Tulane, MIchigan State) and 4 schools for women/gender/feminist studies (U of AZ, U of Washington, UCSB, and UCSC). 

So far I've gotten a rejection from U of AZ (encouraging me to pursue an English PhD...) and a blanket one from Berkeley. 

I am pretty anxious because I have a BA in rhetoric, but I'll have my MFA in poetry by May. I didn't feel like U of AZ was the best fit so it didn't hurt as much, but I"m still pretty anxious. 

42 minutes ago, soydominique said:

Everyone seems so sweet on here! I applied to 6 schools for chicano/latino/culture/ethnic studies (UCLA, UCR,UCD, UCB, Tulane, MIchigan State) and 4 schools for women/gender/feminist studies (U of AZ, U of Washington, UCSB, and UCSC). 

So far I've gotten a rejection from U of AZ (encouraging me to pursue an English PhD...) and a blanket one from Berkeley. 

I am pretty anxious because I have a BA in rhetoric, but I'll have my MFA in poetry by May. I didn't feel like U of AZ was the best fit so it didn't hurt as much, but I"m still pretty anxious. 

I'm surprised you were encouraged for English given that Women's Studies is an interdisciplinary field! But like you said, sometimes research fit is what matters. Did you apply for cultural rhetoric at Michigan State?  And have you heard from UW? I also applied and saw some people have been rejected but my application still says "submitted." Good luck with the rest of your apps! This is a stressful time for all of us lol

Edited by queeraf

Yeah, my entire application is geared toward interdisciplinary research. Oh well. I wanted to apply to that one! My cultural rhetoric professor encouraged me to check it out. I did, but then something detracted me. I don't remember why now though. 

I haven't heard back from UW. I saw that some people were rejected so I checked my junk mail. I don't know if I'm more of less nervous not haven't heard from them yet!

Good luck! I'm glad there's a tiny space where it feels normal being this nervous :)

@soydominiqueOMG you should have applied! I wanted to apply for cultural rhetoric but my BA is in Women's Studies lol This page has definitely helped me with the stress, or at least knowing I'm not the only one who is anxious all the time lol And i feel you about UW! Guess we just have to wait and see. 

I applied to UW Madison, University of Cincinnati, University of Louisville, EMU, and Minnesota State for WGS. (I applied to ISU for rhet/comp). I was accepted at Cincinnati, but I'm on pins and needles to hear back from Madison. 

I'm sorry about rejection @soydominique, but hey congrats on Michigan State! I'm sure you could ask some professors in cultural rhetoric to be part of your committee if you go there :) I still haven't heard anything from UW and i wonder why they do rejections at different times.

@queeraf It didn't hurt too much. I like that Michigan has faculty I really like. I'm still waiting for UCSB and UCSC for feminist studies, but I know their programs are super competitive. 

I don't understand the process very much either. I know some places do rejections in waves. When I applied for my MFA I wasn't nearly as tuned into needing to know how many were admitted into schools I applied to. I was trying to do research, but then I figured doing that won't get me in anywhere. 

I'm crossing my fingers for you! If you haven't gotten a rejection yet, you must be in a smaller pool of great applicants!

@soydominique props to you for applying to UC schools! I was too scared of competition lol And if I get a rejection I also won't be too hurt, they only accept 2 students out of over 75 applicants, the numbers are already against us! But thank you, and glad somebody else on this forum is doing Chican@ studies!! It's probably why we both applied to similar programs :)