Rangel & Pickering Fellowship

kbui

13 hours ago, GlobalUp said:

April 26 and 27. I'm on the 26th. Kind of annoying since I've had to request enrollment notification extensions from all the programs I'm accepted into, but totally worth it if it works out. 

You're getting a chance to win an incredible fellowship. I wouldn't exactly count emailing requests of enrollment notification extensions exactly... "annoying."

On 3/29/2016 at 11:21 PM, mrs12 said:

@chethedoctor We'll both be applying next year then, right? We can brainstorm! :D

@mrs12 You are right. We can brainstorm. First, I need to get the dissertation out of the way. Not to mention the GRE. It appears it's going to be a busy year. What schools will you be applying to?

On 4/9/2016 at 1:53 PM, chethedoctor said:

@mrs12 You are right. We can brainstorm. First, I need to get the dissertation out of the way. Not to mention the GRE. It appears it's going to be a busy year. What schools will you be applying to?

So... I don't actually know! Which is kind of a problem. I'm torn. I would love to continue my area studies, and do something like Middle Eastern Studies. Particularly the Harvard or Columbia programs which are interdisciplinary and have good language tie-ins, or Georgetown's CERES. (I like Harvard's program best because I could still do stats courses as my electives.) Or at a lower level, Indiana University-Bloomington and Washington University do pretty good Turkish Studies programs mixed into other departments. I also am considering Geography Masters, if I don't end up getting into any fellowships. And I've looked a lot at SIPA and SAIS, and I like them a lot.

Mainly the thing is... I don't know what degree would best help me in the future if I'm not able to win a fellowship connected to the FS. If given my druthers I'd do area studies and be happy about it, it's my passion, but it's not a good plan for employment if there's nothing following that. Geography is a good middle ground, and it would capitalize on my stats/programming background and I'd learn a lot of other useful skills. SIPA and SAIS are great, but probably only if I got into one of the fellowships, because of the costs. 

So really I don't know what to do. I'm trying to make lists of schools, but the bigger issue is deciding what degrees help me achieve my goals after school. 

The question of what precisely I want to do when I am done with school is unclear. I did an internship with the FS, so I know I would enjoy that and really get something out of it. I don't have experience with much else, but I dream of research and things like thinktanks, possibly. I want to keep learning no matter where I am or what I'm doing. There's the possibility of working in the field of geography in a technical position, especially if I got more experience with remote sensing and archeology background (paired with my Turkish it might be marketable). There's the incredibly slim possibility of making a living teaching Turkish, and thus excusing a Masters in area studies. I just don't know, I haven't had the chance to experience these sorts of jobs. 

I'm contemplating taking a year off after graduation to do research or more internships, especially if next year I'm not selected as a Pickering finalist.

Wow, sorry this turned into a really long post! What are your ideas/feelings on the topic of grad schools?

15 hours ago, mrs12 said:

So... I don't actually know! Which is kind of a problem. I'm torn. I would love to continue my area studies, and do something like Middle Eastern Studies. Particularly the Harvard or Columbia programs which are interdisciplinary and have good language tie-ins, or Georgetown's CERES. (I like Harvard's program best because I could still do stats courses as my electives.) Or at a lower level, Indiana University-Bloomington and Washington University do pretty good Turkish Studies programs mixed into other departments. I also am considering Geography Masters, if I don't end up getting into any fellowships. And I've looked a lot at SIPA and SAIS, and I like them a lot.

Mainly the thing is... I don't know what degree would best help me in the future if I'm not able to win a fellowship connected to the FS. If given my druthers I'd do area studies and be happy about it, it's my passion, but it's not a good plan for employment if there's nothing following that. Geography is a good middle ground, and it would capitalize on my stats/programming background and I'd learn a lot of other useful skills. SIPA and SAIS are great, but probably only if I got into one of the fellowships, because of the costs. 

So really I don't know what to do. I'm trying to make lists of schools, but the bigger issue is deciding what degrees help me achieve my goals after school. 

The question of what precisely I want to do when I am done with school is unclear. I did an internship with the FS, so I know I would enjoy that and really get something out of it. I don't have experience with much else, but I dream of research and things like thinktanks, possibly. I want to keep learning no matter where I am or what I'm doing. There's the possibility of working in the field of geography in a technical position, especially if I got more experience with remote sensing and archeology background (paired with my Turkish it might be marketable). There's the incredibly slim possibility of making a living teaching Turkish, and thus excusing a Masters in area studies. I just don't know, I haven't had the chance to experience these sorts of jobs. 

I'm contemplating taking a year off after graduation to do research or more internships, especially if next year I'm not selected as a Pickering finalist.

Wow, sorry this turned into a really long post! What are your ideas/feelings on the topic of grad schools?

Sorry to butt in, but I'm going to Georgetown CERES! The admitted students day was great... they offer a TON of courses on Turkey and the Turkish language. 

I did a geospatial intelligence certificate after undergrad and found it extremely helpful for grad school apps AND jobs. Honestly with a GIS/geography background, there's plenty of jobs especially if you have solid quant skills and knowledge of a foreign language. In my case, I was just 100% I wanted to be in the FS so I went for that.

16 hours ago, mrs12 said:

I completely understand where you are coming from. I am contending with the same dilemmas. My BA is in Political Science and my Masters (the one I am working on now here in the UK) will be in IR. Until a few weeks ago I was very interested in the FS but now it is only one of several areas that I am considering. Much, if not all, will depend on funding. If I manage to find other funding sources other than the three fellowships (Rangel, Pickering and Payne), then I will most certainly go the Public Policy/Affairs route. In which case I will apply to places like Kennedy and Wilson. I plan to apply for the Soros but I hear it's even more selective than Fulbright UK. Of the three, Payne is my favourite. If I do get it, then I will probably do ID or Global Development. Then SFS and SAIS come into play. There is even a chance that I may forget all this and go with the UN language program since I speak a few languages. Conflicted and crazy does not even begin to cover it! 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone here received an email on a required presentation? I've heard that previous finalist cohorts had to prepare a presentation for interview day, but I haven't received any information from TWC on that.

Edited by AAAAAAAA

Oh gosh, between all the grad school/fellowship/marriage/visa stuff going on right now I completely forgot to update you guys! Yes, we heard from the Pickering team a while back, and I'm absolutely thrilled to say that I got the fellowship and will be attending Georgetown this fall! This is exactly the outcome I always hoped for but didn't think would ever happen, so I'm still in shock. To all the other Pickering finalists, it was incredible to meet you at selection. You all are amazing people, and I came back truly humbled by what you have accomplished already and will accomplish in the future. To my fellow ... Fellows, I can't wait to see you at orientation next month! I just booked my ticket to the States and am super excited to get to know you all! To any aspiring Pickering Fellows in the future, feel free to private message me with any questions. All the people I talked to while preparing for the interview were incredibly helpful, and I'm a big believer in paying it forward. And to @ZebraFinch@kbui, @mrs12, and the other regular posters in particular, thanks for all your constant encouragement, advice, and cheering on. I (and I'm sure all the other people on this board) really appreciate all of it so much. 

10 hours ago, GlobalUp said:

Oh gosh, between all the grad school/fellowship/marriage/visa stuff going on right now I completely forgot to update you guys! Yes, we heard from the Pickering team a while back, and I'm absolutely thrilled to say that I got the fellowship and will be attending Georgetown this fall! This is exactly the outcome I always hoped for but didn't think would ever happen, so I'm still in shock. To all the other Pickering finalists, it was incredible to meet you at selection. You all are amazing people, and I came back truly humbled by what you have accomplished already and will accomplish in the future. To my fellow ... Fellows, I can't wait to see you at orientation next month! I just booked my ticket to the States and am super excited to get to know you all! To any aspiring Pickering Fellows in the future, feel free to private message me with any questions. All the people I talked to while preparing for the interview were incredibly helpful, and I'm a big believer in paying it forward. And to @ZebraFinch@kbui, @mrs12, and the other regular posters in particular, thanks for all your constant encouragement, advice, and cheering on. I (and I'm sure all the other people on this board) really appreciate all of it so much. 

Yay! I was worried no one from grad cafe got it! I'll see you in Georgetown! Congrats!

• 1 month later...

So I received this today in my inbox. If you're planning to apply to Rangel this year...or whenever, please note the change in due date:

I am writing to request your assistance in communicating an important change in application deadline for the 2017 Rangel Fellowship program to students and young professionals interested in the program.  The application for the 2017 Rangel Fellowship is now open and the deadline will be September 19, 2016, about four months earlier than prior years when applications were due in January.  This changed timeline will likely continue in future years. 

In this transitional year, we really need your help spreading the word.  With school out of session and the applicants’ need to put together applications and letters of recommendation by mid-September, we want to reach as many young people as possible as early as possible.  So, we request your assistance in identifying outstanding candidates or groups, reaching out to them, and encouraging their application.  

The Rangel Fellows application is now open and available at www.rangelprogram.org.  Below is a brief description of this outstanding opportunity for young people interested in careers as Foreign Service Officers in the State Department.  I am also attaching a flyer and photos for your use.  

The 2017 Charles B. Rangel International Affairs Graduate Fellowship program is now open for applications and is seeking young people interested in making a difference in the world as Foreign Service Officers in the U.S. Department of State.  Applicants must be college seniors or graduates planning to start two-year graduate programs in fall 2017;  must have GPAs of at least 3.2; and must be U.S. citizens.  The Rangel Graduate Fellowship Program provides benefits of up to $95,000 over two years toward a master's degree, arranges internships on Capitol Hill and at U.S. embassies/consulates, provides mentorship and professional development support, and leads to a career in the State Department Foreign Service.  The application deadline is September 19, 2016, several months earlier than in prior years.

Fellows must use the fellowship to attend two-year master's programs at U.S.- based institutions to study an area of relevance to the Foreign Service, including international relations, public policy, public administration, economics, or business administration. Upon successful completion of the two-year fellowship and Foreign Service entry requirements, Fellows join the Foreign Service of the U.S. Department of State, embarking on a uniquely rewarding career of international service. There is a five-year service obligation.

The program welcomes any undergraduate major and encourages applications from members of minority groups historically underrepresented in the Foreign Service and those with financial need. Information and application materials can be found at www.rangelprogram.org. The application deadline is September 19, 2016. The Program is funded by the U.S. Department of State and administered by Howard University.

@Damis, Thank you so much for the heads up! I would have totally missed this deadline otherwise!

I'll be applying to the Rangel for the first time this year! It'll be tricky because I'm in an intensive language program right up until close to the deadline, but I'll try my best. I'd really appreciate it if any of you previous applicants/finalists could give me some advice once again! I know that last time with the Pickering I wasn't selected as a finalist, and I think it was probably because of the tone/focus of my essay, so I'd really love to get some advice from all of you on that subject. :3

On July 6, 2016 at 2:44 PM, mrs12 said:

@kbui @ZebraFinch Are you two still around these days? :333

I'm around, doing my domestic internship at State right now at the Russia desk! Having a great time and still happy to answer questions or provide as much advise as I can.

18 hours ago, ZebraFinch said:

I'm around, doing my domestic internship at State right now at the Russia desk! Having a great time and still happy to answer questions or provide as much advise as I can.

Hey ZebraFinch, were you at the Black Ambassador's event??? If you were, I totally missed you!

And yes, as the summer is winding down I would love to meet up!