Rangel & Pickering Fellowship

kbui

@nsnotable, I've heard the same thing about timelines. I can't really imagine how difficult it would be having to commit to a school that you really want to go to but not knowing yet if you have the funding. I think, though, from this topic last year, that people often were able to convince schools to give them a little bit more time to hear the results. That being said, I too am really grateful that the Rangel, at least, is now doing things earlier. About the GRE, is quant a large factor for the programs you're looking at? For me the tricky thing will be the writing section because I need an almost perfect score to be competitive. If you do find a way to re-test I've heard that some people who only really need to retest for one section just put all of their effort into that on the test day because you can choose which scores you send to a school. 

I'm doing better at breathing today, haha. I'm taking this as an exercise in dealing with the unknown and personal expectations. Reframing it like that has helped so far. And I know from last year that the experience teaches you so much, even if you don't get chosen, so I'm trying to focus on what I've learned so far rather than what the future might or might not hold.  

Oh how I remember this time last year with applications, haha. You're going to look back on it and think to yourself, "What was all the worrying about?!"

How far is everyone in their applications for graduate schools and Pickering/Payne?

I have not yet started my graduate school applications. I'm taking the GRE tomorrow, so will wait to see my scores before making my final decisions on where to apply. I'm focusing on public policy programs - that much I know! As for Pickering, the application is still closed...

Where is everyone else planning to apply?

@Olgraves I'm applying to Georgetown, Indiana-Bloomington, University of Wisconsin-Madison, and probably Harvard. I'm going for Central Asian/Eurasian Studies but I want professional based programs which are rather hard to find in my area of focus (The Turkic speaking world). 

I hope the GRE went well for you today! Let us know!

Also, just in case you didn't see, the Pickering Fellowship application is now open! 

Thanks @mrs12! I didn't get the notification that Pickering was open. I had a feeling that the email sign up wouldn't work for me for some reason... haha. 

I am so happy to be done with the GRE! I was so brain dead afterward. I did well enough, I think. I'm planning to apply to the public policy programs at Carnegie Mellon, Georgetown, George Washington and American. That list is subject to change as I do more research, but I know that I really like the program at CMU.

I'm allowing myself a weekend of relaxation and then I'll start in on the Pickering application!

@Bandi, it will be over with soon! I know right now is really tough for all of us, but remember that you are amazing! The very fact that you put in such great effort as to apply to the Rangel, that you've searched your soul and your future and determined that you want the sort of career that the Foreign Service offers, these things guarantee that you are one hard working and fantastic person. Whether or not we get chosen as finalists, or even in the end as recipients, you've marked yourself. Even if we have to go about trying to get into the FS the conventional way, or where ever life leads us, you can always be sure that you reached for your dream and that you are wonderful. <3

@mrs12 You are amazing!!! Thank you for such encouraging words! I've been hesitant to reply to this thread while everything is still up in the air. But you all have such inspiring backgrounds and I honestly hope we become Rangel recipients together ?

@Olgraves they are supposed to be deciding today by the end of the day. So very slight chance that we know this evening, but most likely tomorrow. Also, everyone will be emailed, whether you were a finalist or not, so there won't be any ambiguity to worry about!

No go for me too. Alas!

I'm not surprised though; it's geared more toward people of color and I am not (only thing going for me as being a woman I think). Congrats to all that made it through or didn't. <3 Onward to Pickering! :)

(I'll reply to all the rest of the posts in a little bit.)

Edited by nsnotable

Shucks, checking in to report the same unfortunate news. I wonder how many applied because the email list I received only had 77 addresses listed. Add that to the 60 finalists and it's 137 total. ☹️️ wish we could meet up for ice cream lol 

Moving onto Pickering, I truly wish you all the best! 

Hey everyone,

I have also been secretly stalking this forum for some weeks now while I was applying to Rangel. I also received the unfortunate news that I was not selected. It has spoiled my whole day and I am still at work.

I will be applying to Pickering too as well and I hope we can all help each other out.

Hey everyone! 

I know we're all feeling pretty bruised today, but remember that there are people every year who get the Pickering who were not called as finalists for the Rangel. So do not lose hope! (The Payne as well!)

If anyone wants to get together to discuss the Pickering, share ideas, or just to have someone to talk to about what you're feeling right now, I will be around. I still remember how hard it was last year when I wasn't asked for the undergraduate Pickering Fellowship to be a finalist, but it's also an opportunity for growth too. We learn a lot through times when we have to second guess ourselves and keep reaching for something. 

That's terrible news about people not being selected for the Rangel interviews this year. And I'm shocked at how many people on the forum who did not get an interview. I wonder what went wrong.

Edited by kbui

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you sticking around for the Pickering... Are you considering redoing your essay completely after the Rangel or using bits or it or most of it? I'm not sure what to do about that dilemma. On the one hand I felt really strong about my essay, but then again I was passed over for the Rangel... Those aren't inherently related though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I've decided not to apply to the Pickering this year, and instead focus on taking a year off after undergraduate to go abroad and gain some more experience. 

That being said, I'll stick around in this thread to cheer you all on. I really hope you all do well and that we get the chance to follow our dreams. <3

Good luck with applications!

@mrs12 I know you said you're not applying to Pickering anymore but your previous dilemma regarding rewriting the essay was the exact same I had. I decided to rework it as I'm doing the SOPs for my grad applications. I guess you can say I've found better ways to say some things. 

And I'm glad to hear you'll be abroad for a year! It's definitely a rewarding experience. 

BTW, anybody know how big the fafsa EFC score factors into application screening?

Edited by Leeannuhw

@leeanneuh Thanks! I just realized that I wasn't feeling comfortable sending in grad school applications, and that if I wasn't comfortable with that, then there was really no reason to rush for the Pickering either. So it's a year off for me, which I'm feeling really good about right now -- of course who knows how I'll feel after I hear back from my top choices for where I'll go and what I'll be doing, etc. 

As far as EFC, I know anecdotally that the Rangel seems to care a lot more than the Pickering does about that 0 EFC. But I don't have any hard statistics on this, just people's comments from past attempts. 

14 hours ago, Leeannuhw said:

@mrs12 I know you said you're not applying to Pickering anymore but your previous dilemma regarding rewriting the essay was the exact same I had. I decided to rework it as I'm doing the SOPs for my grad applications. I guess you can say I've found better ways to say some things. 

And I'm glad to hear you'll be abroad for a year! It's definitely a rewarding experience. 

BTW, anybody know how big the fafsa EFC score factors into application screening?

For applicants who are reapplying, I recommend two things:

First, I've been reading applications for a smaller scholarship, and I found that students are very afraid to be vulnerable with the reader. I'm not advocating for a sob story per se, but students aren't fully showing how they've overcome obstacles in their lives in genuine ways. Some may have a cursory remark, but those don't really help the reader understand the challenges that the applicant has overcome. Many of the applicants are hyper focused on what they've accomplished or what they want to accomplish, which is great, but let the reader know who you are too.

Second, recommendation letters are usually neutral when compared to each other. However, I saw some that were very short (half a page) to very long (5 pages), and many of them really wrote little that tells us more about the applicants. Most used a lot of buzzwords, which is understandable, but it detracts from the application because the reader isn't sure if they're true observations or just generalities. To help the writers better bolster your application, tell them more stories of yourself and to tell them why you're applying, and what have you done in the past that showed the values the Rangel/Payne/Pickering are looking for.

Hope this helps.