Chances of getting admitted to a PhD in BME

georgemk

I'm a Biomedical Engineer (2 years work exp as a Biomedical Engineer and QA Officer at a hospital).

I have a bachelor in electronics and a master in biomedical physics.

GPA: 3.33/4.00 Bachelor - 3.65/4.00 Master (According to WES, since my former school used the french grading system)

1 Publication ongoing and few research experience (within the master's curriculum)

GRE Scores:
V: 151
(50%)
Q: 165 (90%)
A: waiting

My letters of recommendation are good, 2 academic and 1 professional

I'm applying for a PhD in Biomedical Engineering - Fall 2016 to:

- University of Maine Graduate School of Biomedical Science and Engineering
- CCNY
- Northeastern University
- University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
- University of Maryland College Park
- Tufts University
- University of Cincinnati
- Ohio State University
- University of Akron
- Arizona State University
- Drexel University
- Temple University
- The University of Utah
- Illinois Institute of Technology
- Wayne State University

What are my chances?

• 2 weeks later...

Your GPA and publication number is kind of low. Are you writing any more publications between now and next fall? I think your GRE is competitive. Just make sure you are able to tie your research experiences and future directions together really well in your personal statement. How would you fit in with those programs? Send it to your letter writers before they write their letters so they can tailor it to your specific application. If you have a strong personal statement and all of your letters are strong, I think you'd be a good applicant to those programs. Also, that seems like a lot of places to apply, so unless you're not doing anything else other than working on these all day I would try to narrow it down to about 6-8 schools you think your interests fit really well with.

23 hours ago, madbiochemist said:

Your GPA and publication number is kind of low. Are you writing any more publications between now and next fall? I think your GRE is competitive. Just make sure you are able to tie your research experiences and future directions together really well in your personal statement. How would you fit in with those programs? Send it to your letter writers before they write their letters so they can tailor it to your specific application. If you have a strong personal statement and all of your letters are strong, I think you'd be a good applicant to those programs. Also, that seems like a lot of places to apply, so unless you're not doing anything else other than working on these all day I would try to narrow it down to about 6-8 schools you think your interests fit really well with.

It is totally possible to get into top programs with 0 publications. And if you're concerned about being competitive, 15 schools, while a lot, isn't crazy. If you can afford it and have the time to put together good applications, it only helps your chances of getting in somewhere you want to go. 

I think the thing for OP to do is to look at those schools and see if they publish average GRE/GPA ranges for admitted students so they can see if they're in the right ballpark.  I don't know anything about these programs in particular to say whether they're a good fit or off-base.