NSF GRIP 2015-2016 (for current GRFP fellows)

farflung

Hello! I am curious if any current NSF graduate research fellows have experience applying for the NSF Graduate Research Internship Program (GRIP) or have plans to apply this winter or spring. I am eagerly awaiting the schedule for the informational webinar they have promised, since the December deadline is coming up quickly.

Here's my issue. I've scoured the new Dear Colleague letter and the GRIP website. However, I'm having trouble locating GRIP opportunities on the websites they link to. Is anyone having the same problem? For example, the EPA link they provide just brings you to the EPA website, with no information about specific projects that GRIP grantees could tack onto. I'm just really confused about how to find a GRIP internship opportunity when there are so few available and none of the agency websites are updated. Help please!

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently applying for GRIP. I encountered the same issues as you. For instance, U.S. Census Bureau (the agency I want to apply for) had conflicting information to the NSF GRIP info page about the involvement of the host researcher(s). I ended up contacting the contact and hashed out the issues.

I couldn't attend today's webinar, but I hope to attend tomorrows. Have you attended today's?

14 hours ago, littlemoondragon said:

I am currently applying for GRIP. I encountered the same issues as you. For instance, U.S. Census Bureau (the agency I want to apply for) had conflicting information to the NSF GRIP info page about the involvement of the host researcher(s). I ended up contacting the contact and hashed out the issues.

I couldn't attend today's webinar, but I hope to attend tomorrows. Have you attended today's?

Oh good, someone to commiserate with about GRIP! I attended the first webinar last week. During the webinar, I asked a few times in different ways about the host agencies, website issues, and general lack of clarity around what internships are actually available (especially for qualitative social scientists... hey NSF, we do exist and you do actually fund us!).

Here's a summary: Website issues will be fixed soon. Keep checking agency websites. Definitely contact a host researcher you're interested in working with, especially if the website info is vague or not there (sounds like you've done this!). Host agencies are still finalizing the opportunities they want to offer, but they REALLY want NSF interns and so researchers are knocking down the door trying to make those opportunities available. More new & different internship opportunities-- including partnerships with new agencies -- will be available after the new year, in time for the March deadline. The program will only be growing in the future. 

No idea how many of the above reassurances by NSF are actually true. They seem supremely disorganized this application cycle, which is unfortunate because it seems like a wonderful opportunity for those of us GRFPers pursuing a non-academic career path. I wanted to apply for the December deadline (with a summer 2015 start date) but will not be able to, because there are simply not enough info on opportunities relevant to my skills and interests. Fortunately the March deadline (with a fall 2016 start date) is workable for me, so I'll go for that instead. 

2 hours ago, farflung said:

Oh good, someone to commiserate with about GRIP! I attended the first webinar last week. During the webinar, I asked a few times in different ways about the host agencies, website issues, and general lack of clarity around what internships are actually available (especially for qualitative social scientists... hey NSF, we do exist and you do actually fund us!).

Here's a summary: Website issues will be fixed soon. Keep checking agency websites. Definitely contact a host researcher you're interested in working with, especially if the website info is vague or not there (sounds like you've done this!). Host agencies are still finalizing the opportunities they want to offer, but they REALLY want NSF interns and so researchers are knocking down the door trying to make those opportunities available. More new & different internship opportunities-- including partnerships with new agencies -- will be available after the new year, in time for the March deadline. The program will only be growing in the future. 

No idea how many of the above reassurances by NSF are actually true. They seem supremely disorganized this application cycle, which is unfortunate because it seems like a wonderful opportunity for those of us GRFPers pursuing a non-academic career path. I wanted to apply for the December deadline (with a summer 2015 start date) but will not be able to, because there are simply not enough info on opportunities relevant to my skills and interests. Fortunately the March deadline (with a fall 2016 start date) is workable for me, so I'll go for that instead. 

COMMISERATE!

NSF does seem disorganized. :( I was sadden by the lack of government labs since NSF states that they work with them, but none are listed as a host agency.

As for the webinar: one of the things I wanted to ask was what was allowed on the budget. Since DC area is so expensive, I wasn't sure if I could add rent to the list. My friend who applied to GROW the first year could, but it has different requirements for the budget. I know the budget cannot supplement/support our stipend, but I am not sure to what extent they mean.

In addition, I was told by the host agency contact to not contact anyone to be my potential host researcher(s). This caused some confusion, because NSF page says you need to work with your host researcher(s) on how you will interact for the professional development part of the application. I had to make some general statements in my application.

I plan to apply for the December 4th deadline and see how it works. I didn't think there was a March deadline for this application year. I saw the December and May one, but not March. I know last year there was a March. Is this a typo on the website?

I'll report my findings as well after today's webinar.

22 hours ago, littlemoondragon said:

I didn't think there was a March deadline for this application year. I saw the December and May one, but not March. I know last year there was a March. Is this a typo on the website?

Oops, I meant the May deadline! I'm getting mixed up. Yes, you're exactly right that there is no March deadline this year. 

22 hours ago, littlemoondragon said:

As for the webinar: one of the things I wanted to ask was what was allowed on the budget. Since DC area is so expensive, I wasn't sure if I could add rent to the list. My friend who applied to GROW the first year could, but it has different requirements for the budget. I know the budget cannot supplement/support our stipend, but I am not sure to what extent they mean.

My impression from the webinar was that you can definitely use the GRIP to help with rent and living expenses. That's basically what the $5000 is for--cost of living. Is that your impression as well?

Here are my notes from the webinar:

GRIP NOTES

Program Director: Erick C. Jones

Division of Graduate Education National Science Foundation

Focus of GRIP: Engage and participate in the work being conducted in the federal agency, which may or may not involve dissertation. However, GRIP must contribute to your graduate research work.

Eligibility:

·         Active GRFP Fellow

·         Completed at least one year of graduate school by the time you applied for GRIP.

·         At least 12 months left of the GRFP active funds.

New Agencies This Year: US Census, US Geological, and NOAA

Current list is the only ones available for the December 4th deadline.

Can I apply to collaborate with a scientist from a country or agency not listed? No

Benefits:

·         $5,000 for just travel

·         Additional funds from agency

·         Funds can be used for living expenses

Can I still get GROW or GRIP support if I’m “on tenure”? Yes, but some GRIP agencies might not have additional support beyond GRFP.

Skills Gained:

·         Presentation

·         Project management

·         Networking

Other Benefits:

·         Resources Available – field sites, collaborations, etc.

·         “Step in the door”

Timeline:

·         4 to 6 months of review

Finding a Host Researcher(s): Really dependent on the agency.

·         Consult the agency webpages (sometimes not available)

·         Ask advisor, other faculty, postdocs, graduate students, etc.

·         Read the literature in your field

Application Components:

·         Coversheet

·         Project Summary

·         Project Description

·         References

·         Budget/Budget Justification

·         Biographical Sketch (Fellow)

·         Letter of Endorsement (Advisor) – progress toward degree

·         AOR Form (signed) Most important part to finish early!

Extra Answers

Slots Available:

December 4th is for summer allocation, but can be for others.

More than one intern can be selected, depending on host.

Edited by littlemoondragon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Any other GRFP-ers thinking of applying to the NSF GRIP for this coming May deadline? After the optimistic tone of the webinar, I really expected more opportunities to open up, especially in the social sciences. The webpage looks THE SAME... months later. They've added almost nothing. 

• 2 weeks later...

For posterity: I applied for GRIP in the December 2015 deadline and just found out yesterday (March 9, 2016) that I was approved via an email from grfp.nsf.gov. My internship will be with the Smithsonian this summer. woo!

On 2/27/2016 at 6:42 PM, farflung said:

Any other GRFP-ers thinking of applying to the NSF GRIP for this coming May deadline? After the optimistic tone of the webinar, I really expected more opportunities to open up, especially in the social sciences. The webpage looks THE SAME... months later. They've added almost nothing. 

Also, I just wanted to point out that my internship was my project (it wasn't a response to an open opportunity). So if you don't see any posted projects, you should definitely come up with what *you* want to do and email some potential hosts. I emailed a scientist at the Smithsonian, told her my idea, and asked if she would be willing to be my "host", even though my research isn't directly related to what she does. Good luck!

33 minutes ago, geobabe said:

For posterity: I applied for GRIP in the December 2015 deadline and just found out yesterday (March 9, 2016) that I was approved via an email from grfp.nsf.gov. My internship will be with the Smithsonian this summer. woo!

Congrats! I applied as well and found out yesterday too. I'm going to work at the US Census Bureau. :)

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2016 at 0:54 PM, littlemoondragon said:

Congrats! I applied as well and found out yesterday too. I'm going to work at the US Census Bureau. :)

Congrats on your award. I am going to start my PhD program this fall, and I am interested in applying tor the NSF GRIP, to work at the U.S. Census Bureau (other orgs interest me, but I think their data sets would be applicable to my proposed research topic). I'd love to stay in touch with you about your experience, if you're open to it. 

5 hours ago, littlemoondragon said:

@Songbird222 Sure. Send me a pm later. I won't be starting my internship with them till August.

Cool, I'll send you a message in August - I put it on my Google Calendar. Best of luck with your work!

52 minutes ago, Songbird222 said:

Cool, I'll send you a message in August - I put it on my Google Calendar. Best of luck with your work!

Thanks! I would definitely apply for the December deadline if you want to work for the Census, because they prefer people in the summer. I had to negotiate a August start, which was a bit difficult.

On 5/6/2016 at 3:07 PM, littlemoondragon said:

Thanks! I would definitely apply for the December deadline if you want to work for the Census, because they prefer people in the summer. I had to negotiate a August start, which was a bit difficult.

That's really good to know, thanks! I think that I'll actually be applying for something like Summer 2018, assuming that the NSF GRIP is still running the same way they are now. I know it's a new program, and things can change.