Should I return to the campus paper for the sake of my resume?

kaiphi

Basically, I've been having some issues with the campus paper this semester.

Last semester, when I was only taking two classes, I was one of their best reporters. At the end of the semester, since the Assistant News Editor was studying abroad this fall, another writer and I were being considered as his replacement.

Fast forward to the fall.

I become significantly busier thanks to a journalism internship I got downtown and a heavier academic workload with four classes instead of two. Since the Assistant News Editor pretty much did all the work for the News Editor, the News Editor dropped the ball and consistently kept giving us assignments two days late, which gave me less time to work on them. Since I was a staff writer I had to submit an article every week in order to keep that position, so imagine my frustration when I'm given less time to complete the f*cking articles because the News Editor is just f*cking incompetent!!!

I digress. So, I had to leave the paper because it was becoming too much and kind of tedious because the topics we were being given were pretty much nothing. (Once I had to write about the campus pond. Hard to squeeze 500 words out of it but I did it.) Recently the News Editor and I had a falling out—not about his sending out topics too late—that's since been resolved, and I've been invited back to the paper since I was a good reporter.

I can't really return right now because I'm still busy, but I'm considering it for next semester. Thing is, I can't really stay on as a Staff Writer this late into my college career. (I'm a junior.) I was trying to get the assistant editorship but the News Editor made that increasingly difficult by not doing his job and then favoring another writer (a bro, if you will) who barely even shows up to the mandatory weekly meetings. And now it's a little late to do that because the actual editor returns next semester. Basically, if all of my outside spring internship applications are rejected, I need editorial experience within the campus paper if I'm going to invest any more time into it. But it's becoming unnecessarily difficult to get articles in on-time—let alone reach 500 words—due to the News Editor's half-assing his duties. I haven't told the EIC about this because I don't want to further strain our relationship; it's pretty strained right now.

Should I return next semester if I don't get an outside internship or just freelance? I'm also loosely working for a small local magazine that could be of help. Should I tell the EIC about this and ask what's going on? I dunno. This stuff is hard when you go to a school with an abysmal journalism program in a city that has, maybe, two major newspapers (and you've already worked at one!).

• 1 month later...