Advice on post tech-year moves for someone who is very passionate about biomedical sciences.

rwsjyiy

I am currently struggling with what I am going to do after finishing working as a tech. I really enjoy working in a lab setting and I want to continue that in some facet. Graduate school has always been an option for me, but with my 2.8 undergraduate GPA, I'm not even an option for any PhD programs, and I could maybe get into a Master's program (although, because of the cost, I would rather avoid this unless it were a necessity for further career development). I have an excellent technical background and that stems from my lab courses, undergraduate research (although it was mostly dry lab work and no papers or awards came out of it) and the lab tech position that I hold now. My current PI is very successful and has a large presence in his field, but is of the belief that med school and PhD programs are the only two options after working as a lab tech. I have been working in this lab for almost a year and will probably get on a paper, but I feel like I could do more. My PI agrees and wants me to stay another year, but I am not sure how beneficial it will be to me, if I will never be a competitive grad school candidate. I am additionally under a lot of external pressure to be somewhere else by next Fall (i.e. S.O. who lives in another state, and parents who I currently live with). I am also afraid of not being academically ready for graduate school. I am definitely more mature and focused than I was as an undergrad, and I am considering taking a few courses (undergrad or graduate) to try and prove that. If anyone has any advice about post tech year decisions or stories of their own please share. Thanks guys and sorry for the rambling post.

You could potentially find a job as a tech at a company that will pay for your masters. They aren't common, but they exist. That's how I have taken graduate courses. I had a lower GPA in undergrad (3.02) and have taken some master's courses now for free. Hoping that my 4.0 in that will boost me enough to get into some PhD programs. 

Thanks for writing, I had this same question last year.  After working for about 5 years in the cosmetic/formulation industry, I decided to go to back for a masters as a means to pursue a PhD in biomedical sciences.  My undergrad GPA was a 2.82 thus my initial hesitation to pursue grad school.  I decided to pursue a masters first and now have a 3.75 GPA to add to my CV.  I'll also be doing a thesis and TAing next semester too.  I'm hoping that the few patents that I'm on plus the graduate classes plus the time in between undergrad and grad school will help me get into a good PhD program.

Anyways, with a similar background, I can let you know how I fair with my applications next semester.  Best of luck!

• 4 weeks later...

I have to decided to apply for a Master's next cycle that way I can gain even more job skills and get my name on some papers. I am up in the air about getting a PhD, so I think a Masters is a great way to get my feet wet. If I decide not to pursue additional degrees than I could always work in the field. My science GPA is about the same mainly from the upper level Chem courses that brought me down and ate up my time. kez8718 it would be great to know how your applications go as well as how your Masters applications went. I know how to explain my past mistakes, but I am nervous about not even getting that chance. Let me know! I believe my tech experience could also help me get a job if things don't work out on the graduate school front. I plan on taking 1-2 upper level undergrad courses to show I am qualified. Thank you guys for you're advice and let me know if you have anymore!