JD from 2002 but haven't practiced in 10 years - does MPP make any sense?

oldJD

Love to get anyone's thoughts on my situation....thinking about going back to school to get a MPP degree as I start a new chapter in my life. 

Went to law school at U of Chicago straight out of undergrad and then worked at a big NY law firm doing doing tax for a few years before leaving the profession entirely for a business opportunity. I spent the last 10 years running a small marketing business that I have recently sold, so now I'm back to square one. I have no interest in actually going back to the practice of law and I've been out of it so long, I doubt that degree is going to do much for me at this point for any kind of policy job as my experience is so long ago its pretty much useless. I'd like to get involved on the policy side of things (especially as it relates to tax policy issues) and maybe actually do something I find interesting and worthwhile for once (as opposed to my past focus on just trying to earn $). Does it make any sense for an almost 40 year old with no relevant work experience in the last decade to be looking at an MPP/MPA program? Probably not looking for a top school as I'd be limited geographically due to family considerations. 

Anyway, just starting to give this some serious consideration and looking to bounce ideas off others. thanks for your help.

There are lots of great 1-year programs out there for mid-career professionals such as yourself. Problem is, they're not designed for career changers, but for those looking to further establish themselves in their existing field. You sound like a go-getter and intelligent though, so with proper expectation management I'm guessing you could be quite successful in leveraging such a program to get into a new field. Next steps - look at all the top-ranked programs, do your research, and make a decision. If the international focus is interesting to you, don't neglect the top international affairs schools, such as SAIS and Fletcher - both have very good 1-year programs for established professionals, at least a few of whom are looking to make a change.