weight of scores with tons of work experience?

doctor-to-be

I graduated with my Master's in clinical social work in late 1990s, and am working on an application for a doctorate program. My GPAs were great (eg, 3.8 out of 4 in Master's). I have an outstanding current and historical employment track in clinical psychiatry. My essay & change of career statement will be excellent. My references are great. I've heard that doctorate psychology (Psy.D) admissions are extremely competitive. Because of my age (a lot older than most people here I bet :-P), I will apply only once and to just 1 school. Their cut off/qualifying score for math and verbal general GREs is combined 305. If I get a 305-310, would that be good enough to apply? Or, would it be better to give myself more time to prepare for the GREs in order to get a 315-320? I shooting low because despite preparing A LOT for a little over a month, I've been struggling much more than expected, and got only a 297 on the first real GRE. Second GRE is scheduled for next month.  

Dear doctor-to-be, I think this is probably common enough for people who've been out of school for long. I am having the same problem. I have excellent work experience, I am going to get great references and I thought, having given myself 3 months for the GRE, I will ace it (or at least do well enough in Quant), but it didn't exactly work out that way. If I were you, I would SERIOUSLY consider applying. Don't wait for better GRE scores. Even among the top universities, at least half of them would give more importance to - as Brown describes it - 'qualitative' aspects of the application. Don't get disheartened by the GRE scores. Try your best for the second GRE round and if you get the minimum of 305 - good for you. At least you made the cut-off. If not, still apply. I think given how great the rest of your application sounds, you have a good chance. REALLY! Apply. 

I think you will be a great applicant even with low GRE scores. The things graduate programs most look for in applicants is (a) good work ethic and (b) passion for the field. Your career experiences exemplify both perfectly. They will know you are hard working and can handle the work load. After all, the program is going to be research > grades, so they will care more about your ability to perform research than your ability to do well on a standardized exam.

Also - you really should consider applying to more than 1 program. There are a host of reasons why you might get denied, and it could very well have nothing to do with you, and everything to do with lack of resources/funding. Imagine getting turned down to the only school you applied to simply because that program wasn't accepting any students that year.

I'm in a fairly similar boat. Graduated from undergrad in 2000, master's in 2001. Like you, I'm only applying to one school. I want to work with a specific person to do specific research. I'm hoping that the fact that I've been at my current employer for 10 years (in several positions) will show my commitment to the field and my ability to stick to something. Last year, the program only took 3 PhD students so I know it's a long shot but it is what it is.

I worked my butt off for the GRE and managed to get a 156 quant which, while not good, is not a terrible score. My verbal score was excellent so I'm not concerned about that. My GRE is clearly the weakest part of my application so I'm hopeful that everything else is going to align. It's nerve wracking though.

Edited by phillyhed
typo

Thank you. I'm feeling more confident with some tricks that I'm learning from Empower program in not giving up on the GREs. The worst that could happen is I apply next year. I'm glad, phillyhed, that I'm not the only one who's applying to just 1 school. I love where I reside and will not move. This is the only program that's near me. Besides, just applying is a lot of work. 

• 2 weeks later...