Does admission office normally evaluate exchange study's GPA?

roln

Hi,

I am a foreign student from New Zealand.

I studied in Singapore for one year with 7 papers there as an exchange student. Those papers do not count for GPA in my home university transcript in New Zealand, but only credit points. But I have a transcript from exchange university.

My GPA is decent without counting those exchange papers, as 3.9.

But if I involve those exchange papers into calculation, it will drop to 3.7. I am a bit nervous about this since I planning to apply for top10 CS Master programs in US next year.

Do most top uni's admission office in USA (Such as Stanford, Berkeley, CMU e.g.) calculate my GPA by involving performance from exchange study?

Thanks!

Edited by roln

Often, applications will ask for your courses and GPA from all colleges/universities, so you would need to include your exchange program information. You can email the admissions departments for each program and ask them if you are allowed to omit course history from your exchange. They will know best, and these policies can vary across institutions.

In addition to what Monochrome Spring said, many schools will not combine all of your courses together into one GPA (e.g. the "3.7"). Instead, they will keep the GPA from your home university and the GPA from your exchange university as two separate programs and GPAs. After all, each school has its own GPA system and combining them would not be a good idea. You can rest assured that it is very likely that the schools you apply to will put a much higher weight on your home university's GPA.