SOP tailored to each program .. how?

AjjA

Hi, 

I am writing my SOP and I feel  a bit confused of how much I write about my future goal in the graduate school, how specific should I be? And when it comes to reason my interest in this particular school, what should I write exactly. Here is one example : I am interested in your program as I want to work on xxxx, I understand that at your school there is xxx facility/center/ lab that is specialized in this kind of work. Is this good enough? 

You seem to be on the right track, but make sure you've thoroughly done your homework on your school(s). I suggest you identify at least 3 faculty members whose research aligns with your own interests, read some of their work, maybe contact them if you have something relevant to say about their work and ask if they're accepting graduate students in the upcoming term; if you successfully correspond with a prof mention in your SoP that you "have corresponded with Dr. X and they are open to being my advisor" or something along those lines. This late in the cycle you may not get a whole lot out of contacting professors, but at the very least mention that you're interested in these professors and their work and how their research interests you. Most schools will post their curriculum on their program website, so browse through the courses they offer and make mention of any classes that excite you and you can see yourself taking. Is your program interdisciplinary? Is it straight one discipline? If it's one of those - and it's the one you prefer out of those two options - then talk about the benefits of being in an interdisciplinary or straight-field program as it pertains to you.

Basically, make sure you can demonstrate how you and the school are a good fit for each other.

On November 16, 2015 at 11:36:59 PM, AjjA said:

Hi, 

I am writing my SOP and I feel  a bit confused of how much I write about my future goal in the graduate school, how specific should I be? And when it comes to reason my interest in this particular school, what should I write exactly. Here is one example : I am interested in your program as I want to work on xxxx, I understand that at your school there is xxx facility/center/ lab that is specialized in this kind of work. Is this good enough? 

As someone who has been through the application process twice, here are my opinions.  Take with a grain of salt.  

There is a lot of advice out there regarding SOPs, and to be frank, I think most of it is BS.  For one, while most programs look for the same thing (why this program?/how well will you do in this program?/what do you hope to gain from this program?) it is impossible to give general advice when even programs from within the same field may look for different criteria.  Some want only 300 - 500 words.  Others allow for any length, within reason.  Some want specific mention of a PI or three, others do not.  And on and on.  Secondly, what a PI looks for and what the program looks for are often times in the same boat but on a different page.  

Another thing to keep in mind is that in reality when applying to Ph.D. programs (maybe also true for MS?) is that you are essentially applying to a job; a paid position.  In the "real world" you are expected to tailor your cover letter to the specific employer, and in reality the SOP is just a cover letter.  I am pretty sure this is where the idea to tailor individual SOPs to each program.  Then again, there are some people out there who submitted the same one SOP to each program, and with luck.  

My opinion is that your SOP should follow each of the programs' prompts; and by that, you will have effectively tailored each SOP.  So, don't write about specific profs/PIs/labs at length if not prompted to do so, but a sentence or two won't hurt. 

Now, to your questions:

Future goals:  this is a key point to include, and you can (and should) keep it brief.  If your goal is academia you can simply state that you wish to become a professor.  If you want to save the world, simply write that you desire to work for an NGO.  That sort of thing.  Short, sweet, and gets the message across loud and clear. 

Interests in program:  well, just write the truth (unless your only interest in the program revolves around prestige.  In that case it is best to keep your mouth shut).  Do not write, "...I understand at your program there is..." It may be hard to see but such a statement portrays a lack of confidence and shows doubt.   Also, don't write "...I want to work on..." It sounds pompous--save it for a potential mention during the interview and/or "future goals".   Instead, go for something such as, "My research interests are in X, Y, and/or Z."  

For mention of specific profs/PIs/labs, simply state, "At University U, I am interested in what Profs John Q (immunology) and Suzy B (molecular medicine) are doing in their labs.  And that is it.  If what John Q and Suzy B do truly align with your interests that will be (or should be) evident elsewhere in the SOP.  

55 minutes ago, Crucial BBQ said:

Instead, go for something such as, "My research interests are in X, Y, and/or Z."  

For mention of specific profs/PIs/labs, simply state, "At University U, I am interested in what Profs John Q (immunology) and Suzy B (molecular medicine) are doing in their labs.  And that is it.  If what John Q and Suzy B do truly align with your interests that will be (or should be) evident elsewhere in the SOP.  

I agree with everything Crucial BBQ said and I definitely second/highlight this part. I feel like sometimes when I say "explain how you would fit in with existing research groups", it sounds like I mean "Write an extensive paragraph explaining how you and each professor will be the best fit ever". Instead, as Crucial BBQ says, you should just simply describe your interests and then, in one or two sentences, link them to professors/labs as demonstrated here. 

I think you'll want to expand a bit -- what, aside from the fact that they have a program in your field, makes it appealing to you? Is there a particular professor whose work you really admire? Is the overall structure of the program or the resources the school offers attractive? If the school has incredible state of the art lab facilities or a well-known internship program, mention why you think that would be perfect for you. If they have strong links with industry and that is your goal, mention that, while if they have a particularly strong teaching program and you want to be a professor eventually that's another plus to mention. You want to show the admissions committee that you are serious about their program and demonstrate why it is a good fit for you -- some people apply indiscriminately without paying attention to specifics, so you want to show that you've done the research and that you are not only a good fit for the school but that the school is a good fit for you.

Personally, I mentioned the adviser I was applying for, as well as 1-2 other professors who I wanted to work with and whose work was relevant to my subfield, what I liked about the structure of each program (methodological emphasis? opportunities for practical experience?), resources (an incredible university archive? nearby to another institution where I might do research or part of a consortium of schools I could cross-register in? Interdiscplinary opportunities?), etc.