Writing Samples! Ahh

anthrostudentcyn

Hi guys, so as the deadlines loom closer I'm finalizing which writing sample I'm going to use. My only issue is that the paper I want to use is not for an anthro class, it's for a Comp. Lit/philosophy course. It's a close reading of the work of a major theorist (used in anthro extensively) focusing on sexuality and illness in his text. It got an A in a grad seminar (I'm an undergrad)

My options: 

1. add a few paragraphs to look at a specific situation in current society his theory would explain-aka make it more anthropological with the addition of a few paragraphs

2. leave it as it is, as a comp lit paper and risk it not being anthropology. i'm also worried it may be too simplistic of an argument. 

Thoughts would be great. 

11 hours ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

Hi guys, so as the deadlines loom closer I'm finalizing which writing sample I'm going to use. My only issue is that the paper I want to use is not for an anthro class, it's for a Comp. Lit/philosophy course. It's a close reading of the work of a major theorist (used in anthro extensively) focusing on sexuality and illness in his text. It got an A in a grad seminar (I'm an undergrad)

My options: 

1. add a few paragraphs to look at a specific situation in current society his theory would explain-aka make it more anthropological with the addition of a few paragraphs

2. leave it as it is, as a comp lit paper and risk it not being anthropology. i'm also worried it may be too simplistic of an argument. 

Thoughts would be great. 

Who is the theorist? Foucault? Personally, I would leave it as is. No one expects you to write a new paper or rewrite an old paper for your writing sample -- it really is meant to be a sample of work you've already completed. I would only proceed with option #1 (adding in a few paragraphs to make it seem more relevant) VERY cautiously. I have seen my undergrads attempt that before, and adding in additional arguments or lines of analysis after the fact overwhelmingly tends to disrupt the coherency and flow of the paper.  

If the piece you are submitting is theoretically relevant to Anth, represents your most coherent prose, and displays your ability to make analytical arguments, you are fine!

Edited by farflung