Social Welfare/Work PhD applicants

embe87

Figured I might start a thread here for Social Work PhD applicants! I'm submitting to two Social Work programs in addition to two programs in Education. I'm applying to UC Berkeley and USC.

Feel free to share the schools to which you're applying & the good/bad news come offer of admission time! Also welcoming any debates and deliberations . . . curious how others are choosing their "top" choices.

Best of luck with applications!

Hello! I am so happy you started this thread!

I am also pursuing a PhD in Social Welfare/Social Work. Given I'm interested in not-for-profits, specifically the relationship between the public, private and not-for-profit sectors, I'm applying to UPenn and UCLA. I'm also applying to UChicago (because I'm a sucker for beautiful mission statements, and the vibe I got from the website was very powerful!)

I am also very very very terrified . I completed my undergraduate degree in Commerce and Economics in Australia, worked for two years in an Australian Social Policy Research Centre, and recently finished my Masters in Social Policy in the UK. I am not accustomed to writing statement of purposes, afraid that my theoretical and practical knowledge of social work is lacking, and feel that perhaps I should also try the MSW route to supplement my theoretical knowledge with practical experience. But I also know that I would like to be an academic at a research intensive university, focussing on human-centric research and feeling like I'm advancing society in some way, so I must get over my insecurities and try my best!

Anyway, thanks again for starting this thread. "Follow!"

My advice to both of you is to explore the websites for each program you are interested in and become familiar with the research areas of faculty. If you can, access CVs and read articles by professors with whom you would like to work. Reach out to the programs that will provide an appropriate research fit and begin to develop relationships with both POIs and program directors prior to submitting your application.

Also, find out about funding (how much and for how many years), then compare your stipend with cost of living. Some stipends in some urban areas will not allow you to live without taking out loans, so that is something to consider, since docs can take 4-7 years. (Also ask what the median number of years to graduation is.)

Edited by pippapants

On 21 November 2015 10:37:43 AM, pippapants said:

My advice to both of you is to explore the websites for each program you are interested in and become familiar with the research areas of faculty. If you can, access CVs and read articles by professors with whom you would like to work. Reach out to the programs that will provide an appropriate research fit and begin to develop relationships with both POIs and program directors prior to submitting your application.

Also, find out about funding (how much and for how many years), then compare your stipend with cost of living. Some stipends in some urban areas will not allow you to live without taking out loans, so that is something to consider, since docs can take 4-7 years. (Also ask what the median number of years to graduation is.)

Thank you for your advice pippapants!

Out of curiosity, is it common practice to contact potential supervisors prior to submitting applications? 

Every PhD program I applied for required me to identify in my SOP with whom I would like to work among faculty offered at the program.  Quality programs will match students and faculty based on interests or population, though this is not always possible.  Some faculty members are overburdened with students already, hold administrative positions that do not lend themselves to advising, or don't have funded projects.

I don't know whether it is common practice to cold call or email profs, but I received positive feedback when I contacted a director regarding program information and mentioned that I had been following the work of one faculty member.  I was encouraged to reach out to her via email, then met her on a visit, and found out she was not taking any more students (good information to have).  At that point I was able to assess whether I was interested in working with others in the program or whether there was a better fit elsewhere.

Personally, I think it's a bit awkward and presumptuous (not to mention difficult) to just start naming faculty members in your SOP without knowing anything about them or having exchanged emails or calls or something.

At the very least, you must, must, must contact the program regarding your intent to apply.  I got flat rejected from the one program I applied cold to, without ever reaching out to the director, visiting, etc.

• 1 month later...

Hi 

Greetings everyone from India. 

I just thought to check with people here on how they are doing with their Phd admission process as there are hardly anyone who is replying here. I have been a fence sitter and going through lot of posts here in last 1 month. I wish i have discovered the forum earlier. After starting with a list of around 12 colleges, i eventually ended up applying to 6 for Phd in social work/welfare/Policy. (USC, UC-Berkeley, UW - Seattle, U Chicago, UCMichigan and Brandeis). 

My initial list (12) was based on funding, job opportunities for my spouse. I eventually shortlisted the 6 above on the basis of my interaction with faculty (as suggested above by Pippapants) and Program advisor/director/coordinator.  

It was made even more difficult by that fact that i didn't do well in GRE and eventually landed with avg scores (a travelling job and a 4 yr old kid didnt help much with preparation  ) but still hopeful as i do feel that i have good credentials with work experience coupled with strong reco. 

I have more that 12 years of theoretical and practical experience across various fields in social work at UN program/international aid agencies. Prior to that, 

I have done MSW followed by MPhil (2 year program post masters which lead to Phd in India if you continue research) in community health from the topmost college in India. 

It was a long drawn and extensive process considering i was an overseas applicant (both GRE & TOEFL) and as a family it is a big step (change) for us as we are quite settled in our life with well-paying jobs. But i have always wanted to work in academia/research and a phd from a good college will help me reach that goal. Being in mid 30's i had to act now. 

Now just waiting for results to come out. I am right now in 50-50 mode over it and as the time is passing i feel my GRE will let me down. 

How are you people coping up with the anxiety of entire process...sorry for long post but i just thought that i can vent it out here :)

cheers

Hello! 

@Happysoul, I think you're amazing for making steps towards moving overseas, with family, to pursue academia/research. I don't know what the admission committees are looking for, but from an outsider's perspective, your record looks impressive!! :) 

I'm also super anxious about the whole process. I'm prepared for rejection, but prepared to reapply! I keep telling myself: Good things take time and patience (and the "good" is a flexible construct!)

Hello Wongjcz

Thank you for encouraging response :)

Makes me feel good. Where all you have applied ? heard back from any one yet ? 

Any idea why there are not many phd applicants on this forum ?

cheers

I've applied to 5: Case Western Reserve, UPenn, John Hopkins (Mental Health PhD), Rutgers, Brandeis

Despite successfully applying to a masters degree, jobs, and internships, I can honestly say I have never felt more worried about applications in my life.

5 hours ago, Happysoul said:

Hi Kita

Good to see you here. Lots of luck :)

Believe me, i am too sailing in same boat. The wait might not be too much this time. Hope it goes well for all of us here.

cheers

Thanks! Same here, I hope everyone gets in. 

I'm just glad that I won't have a lot of time to dwell on it. My last letter finally arrived today, but so does my last semester. So only minimal worry time is available, and that will go to real world job applications.

Happy Soul, I just wanted to share my experience to perhaps provide you with some optimism and hope.  I am an international student from Canada, was involved in the application process last year for a PhD program in psychology and social work.  Unfortunately I wrote my GREs at the last minute and did horribly... I decided to still proceed and submit my applications (despite they were top Universities in America).  Social Work is more holistic in their perspective and low and behold my strengths and experiences behind my GREs were acknowledged and I am now in my first year in a PhD Program in Social Work at a top 10 ranking school.  Don't give up hope... it sounds like you have amazing perseverance and the intelligence to go along, good luck!

20 hours ago, Val006 said:

aHappy Soul, I just wanted to share my experience to perhaps provide you with some optimism and hope.  I am an international student from Canada, was involved in the application process last year for a PhD program in psychology and social work.  Unfortunately I wrote my GREs at the last minute and did horribly... I decided to still proceed and submit my applications (despite they were top Universities in America).  Social Work is more holistic in their perspective and low and behold my strengths and experiences behind my GREs were acknowledged and I am now in my first year in a PhD Program in Social Work at a top 10 ranking school.  Don't give up hope... it sounds like you have amazing perseverance and the intelligence to go along, good luck!

Hey Val

Thank you for your reassuring words. Already feeling better with your experience. My scores are more are less same as yours (i read your experiences of admission process from last year threads). Glad to see you making to your first preference :)

Just for information : is the funding offered by your college is good enough to survive or you are investing funds from your sources too ? 

Edited by Happysoul

Hey all!!!... Ive applied to UPenn, Berkeley and CSSW (Columbia)..and other schools for different programs.. good luck to everyone... Anyone else apply to CSSW.... Ive spoken with the doctoral office and they have told me they are meeting to make decisions on Feb 1st and then again Feb 22/26... So just an FYI.

I'm glad to hear all of the positivity in this forum. I'm waiting to hear back anything. I know this is early for some, but UPenn is moving slower than previous years. For anyone curious, Case Western Reserve will meet in mid-February for their PhD despite sending all the masters stuff out right now.

Hey all, longtime lurker / social welfare PhD applicant here. I applied to UW-Madison, Michigan, and Chicago. I see someone has received notification that they've been waitlisted at Wisconsin---has anyone heard anything else? Trying to determine what the waitlist result may mean for those of us who still haven't received any news. 

Hi, not a part of this thread originally, but I got rejected from UW-Madison today. That might make you feel better! I think they send out their acceptances in February/March.

I also applied to Chicago and Michigan and have heard nothing back from either of those schools. We will probably start hearing back next week!

@CrimsonEyes I also got rejected from Berkeley today, if you find that helpful. By the way, I also applied to USC, UCLA Luskin, University at Buffalo, Boston College, and U-M, all MSW/PhD programs, so verrrry competitive :(

I was accepted at UB and am visiting late February.

On January 28, 2016 at 0:20 PM, wongjcz said:

Hello!

Thank you for all the updates!

Do you guys think it's odd how there is little activity on this thread? To the "lurkers" out there, please say hi! :) 

In in the end, I only applied to Chicago and Penn. Penn's admission decisions will be made by the 15th of February, and Chicago's decisions will be made between the 5th (earliest) to 10th and February. This information is based on my correspondence with the schools!

I told myself to only freak out on those days! ;) 

Ahhh! They're both wonderful schools!!

Thanks for the info.. and just to verify cause I know some people, sometimes myself, get confused on Penn meaning UPenn or Penn State. Could you verify which school you meant? Thanks  and yes... If I only need to freak at on that specify day for this school that would be helpful. I applied to UPenn, so hopefully thats what you meant.

9 minutes ago, wisdomspeaks said:

@CrimsonEyes I also got rejected from Berkeley today, if you find that helpful. By the way, I also applied to USC, UCLA Luskin, University at Buffalo, Boston College, and U-M, all MSW/PhD programs, so verrrry competitive :(

I was accepted at UB and am visiting late February.

I am sorry to hear about your rejection to Berkeley. I have not heard anything yet.. So far, no news is god news I'm guessing. Good Luck on your other schools and congrats on your acceptance to UB.

On January 26, 2016 at 6:43 AM, Val006 said:

Happy Soul, I just wanted to share my experience to perhaps provide you with some optimism and hope.  I am an international student from Canada, was involved in the application process last year for a PhD program in psychology and social work.  Unfortunately I wrote my GREs at the last minute and did horribly... I decided to still proceed and submit my applications (despite they were top Universities in America).  Social Work is more holistic in their perspective and low and behold my strengths and experiences behind my GREs were acknowledged and I am now in my first year in a PhD Program in Social Work at a top 10 ranking school.  Don't give up hope... it sounds like you have amazing perseverance and the intelligence to go along, good luck!

This gives me so much hope, I have my MSW from an Ivy and my BA Psych from a State school, but I decided I was really going to apply to PhD programs kinda late and did not have a lot of time to study and did horrible on my GRE. So thank you for posting... calms me nerves a little.