UC Berkeley SOP length?

UC Berkeley's graduate admissions webpage says 1-2 pages, single-spaced, 12pts.

Department's admissions webpage says 2 pages max, double-spaced (had to dig pretty deep to get this information... it's not on the online application).

Which guideline do I need to follow in terms of formatting?  And length?  I'm finding it very difficult to cut down to 2 pages double-spaced, but at the same time, I don't want to give the impression that I don't know how to follow instructions.

Emailed the department but no response.

Maybe mine was just longer but 1000 words was just slightly shorter than 2 pages single spaced, but calling is probably a good choice if you're worried.

Edited by Edotdl

When the school had confusing guidelines, I picked the interpretation which suited me best. My letter of intent was about 900 words, and not once did I have to trim it, thank goodness. I didn't get into Berkeley though. Maybe I should have dug deeper into my department's website, hmmm. :lol:

I applied to grad school years ago and recently looked at my old SOP. It was around 1000-1200 words. I realized while it was a well-written piece, if was way too long. I don't know if this affected my admission results or not.

This time around my statement is around 500-600 words. Much much better. I don't think professors want to read something so long. It's best to be concise.

On 11/20/2015, 10:16:26, loveor said:

Department's admissions webpage says 2 pages max, double-spaced (had to dig pretty deep to get this information... it's not on the online application)

Where did you read this guideline?

I just read this page and thought that I was going to write 1-2 pages, single-spaced because they were not clear about it.

9 hours ago, amolang said:

Where did you read this guideline?

I just read this page and thought that I was going to write 1-2 pages, single-spaced because they were not clear about it.

Go for it.  I am applying to engineering programs, so obviously the requirements will be very different.

On 11/19/2015, 7:16:26, loveor said:

UC Berkeley's graduate admissions webpage says 1-2 pages, single-spaced, 12pts.

Department's admissions webpage says 2 pages max, double-spaced (had to dig pretty deep to get this information... it's not on the online application).

Which guideline do I need to follow in terms of formatting?  And length?  I'm finding it very difficult to cut down to 2 pages double-spaced, but at the same time, I don't want to give the impression that I don't know how to follow instructions.

Emailed the department but no response.

Did you get any response from the department yet? I have the same kinda issue, but the office is closed now.