Would it be inappropriate to send in "supplemental" materials after submitting?

Ilikekitties

A research proposal for what? Is it part of the application package? If so (i.e. you want to update an already submitted research proposal/statement then it would make sense but often unnecessary).

But if it's not something the program asked for, then you shouldn't send them an unsolicited research proposal.

Well, most of my schools require a writing sample, but for the apps that I've submitted, I included samples of a paper that I wrote about research that I have already done. This semester I've been writing a proposal for research that I will conduct next semester.

Generally speaking, yes. Also, think about how much time you've spent on this proposal versus your other potential writing samples. You want to make sure your writing sample showcases your best work. 

If you really want them to know about this research proposal, I'd find a way to include a line or two about it in your SOP.

Yes, it would definitely be inappropriate (and appear irresponsible) to send additional materials in after the deadline. In addition, it would NOT be advisable to send in a research proposal of any kind as a writing sample. Samples are meant to be already-completed work, to show off your analytic writing skills. 

Edited by farflung

You could ask a school to update existing materials if something major has changed (e.g. you had a paper accepted for presentation or publication at a good venue, you won a major grant or fellowship, etc.). You can't send in new materials after the deadline, though. That's what the deadline is for. And yes, in general, a research proposal would not be a good choice for a writing sample. 

In that case, in principle you could ask to have something added to your file, but since you've submitted the application, the school doesn't have to agree (look for any text that says "you can update/change materials until the deadline," which some schools have). However, in this particular case, I don't think you should.