Critical Language Scholarship 2016

zephyri

@mrs12 The classes are taught all in Turkish, and it's a mix of exercises, listening, reading, and speaking. You use books developed by TÖMER and you can expect to cover a new language topic every day or two - it's very fast paced. There will be four levels of class. You sign a language pledge to speak only Turkish while at school, and only the beginners get a pass on this, and only for three weeks. Feel free to send me a private message if you have any other questions!

I was thankfully distracted the whole day at a conference, but was sad to come back to no news... Really chomping at the bit here. It'd be so nice to get out of my little corner of the world I've occupied my whole life -- and finally before I graduate from college!

Haha, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one obsessed with the deadline. I keep checking my email even though I KNOW it's the weekend and they won't automate the response. Tuesday is so far away, and no guarantee that that's even the day.

Thank you, @pickadiscipline! That's all really helpful! :D

Just made an account because I couldn't see past the first page of this thread without signing in..procrastinating on a newspaper story and jumping every time I get an email haha. It's nice to have some company in this. Good luck to everyone!

On 1/17/2016 at 7:13 PM, The Leviathan said:

And does anyone plan on doing a blog while they're abroad? I'm interested in doing a small one.

If I get in I would love to do one! I found only one for CLS in my country of interest (Indonesia) and it really motivated me and showed me what daily life in the program was like. It was also really cool to see how the person's perception of the country, culture, and language progressed, especially their confidence in speaking Indonesian. I loved it so much I even read CLS blogs for other countries :)

Thanks for the info, though! It must be a result of the glitch in November. What's scarier is.....if we DO get chosen as a semi-finalist....I wonder if the final results will come later, too....o.o   That's the worst part

45 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

Thanks for the info, though! It must be a result of the glitch in November. What's scarier is.....if we DO get chosen as a semi-finalist....I wonder if the final results will come later, too....o.o   That's the worst part

Oh my gosh I really hope not! But I do feel like that will be the case. One can only wait! Good luck everybody! Maybe after all this waiting, we all get some really good news! Lol

I don't think they post locations until after they chose the recipients. I know with Turkish we won't know the official locations until then at least, even though we can guess based on the last couple of year's locations.

On 1/19/2016 at 9:15 PM, natrem said:

If I get in I would love to do one! I found only one for CLS in my country of interest (Indonesia) and it really motivated me and showed me what daily life in the program was like. It was also really cool to see how the person's perception of the country, culture, and language progressed, especially their confidence in speaking Indonesian. I loved it so much I even read CLS blogs for other countries :)

Likewise, I found a girl who did the CLS in Japan and made a video about it and it really helped me feel less nervous about the program. CLS blogs and vlogs are very helpful imo.