Critical Language Scholarship 2016

zephyri

I think that's a good point @pdh12. I applied in '14 and didn't make it to the semi-finals.

Does anyone who applied before and now/previously made it into the semi-finals have a clue what they did differently this time? I think for me I was very specific for how I need advanced language skills which I cannot get from a course at my university, and I outlined my senior year capstone project which will require advanced levels of Turkish so it was a very tangible application this time whereas before I focused more on my desire and my passion but without very concrete examples of why it mattered.

36 minutes ago, mrs12 said:

I think that's a good point @pdh12. I applied in '14 and didn't make it to the semi-finals.

Does anyone who applied before and now/previously made it into the semi-finals have a clue what they did differently this time? I think for me I was very specific for how I need advanced language skills which I cannot get from a course at my university, and I outlined my senior year capstone project which will require advanced levels of Turkish so it was a very tangible application this time whereas before I focused more on my desire and my passion but without very concrete examples of why it mattered.

I honestly think it varies from language to language. Likely the problem with my application is that very few people actually need to lean Korean insofar as learning English is standard there. Sure, would it make me a better scientist in the future (journal articles with more international collaboration have been shown to be better articles) and allow me to more fluently collaborate with a country that is increasingly specializing in my field of research? Yes. Sure, my resume is bright and shiny and they have reason to suspect I could handle the program, add to the diversity of the group, etc. But do I need to learn Korean? No. I would suspect people who made the Korean cut would be those aspiring to do work into Korean history that requires that you understand untranslated texts and those in similar situations that really require it. I also bet Korean had one of the highest volumes of applicants -- no previous experience required, generally popular country, etc. Languages like Urdu, on the other hand, which, to my knowledge, aren't spoken by people who know English, would have an easier case to make...

Oh well. I'm writing up four applications to computer programming-intensive programs. Would likely do me more good in the future anyways... Though I still have never been out of NY and it perpetually bothers me that I cannot afford to fix that myself.

Good luck, guys.

Edited by philosonista

Ahhhhhh.......how many of us are left on here?   I feel like I'm reliving a bad dream. It'll be so upsetting if I get rejected at the final stage. I really want to know what the odds are at this point.

Good luck to everyone!  

@pdh12  I'm still here with the same anxiety. If I am going to be rejected I wish it would have been at the first stage. I'm really impressed that you were able to apply again despite the rejection last time. Did the fact that you passed the first round give you hope that you could do better this time? Did you figure out where you might have gone wrong? I'm so curious about this process. I wish we could read the essays of the accepted applicants.

Edited by natrem

I know! I agree, it would be fabulous in a non-plaigerist way to read accepted essays.

Regarding my will to re-attempt an application despite being rejected as a semi-finalist: I'm hoping that my demonstrated determination, and self-drive, comes across this year! I think my pitfalls last time were that I had little exposure to my language, and that I [probably] seemed unable to clearly define what I wanted to do with the education. 

This year, though, I'm applying as a graduate student (last time I was an undergrad), and managed to get into the intermediate-level Hindi/Urdu course with only an independent study background. If I get in this year, it will surely be because of these changes. I will definitely report! And I hope others here do, as well. It could be helpful to future applicants, you never know....

But, indeed, I can hardly wait another day for the news. In this purgatory I have no idea what will happen/where in the world I'll be this summer! 

I just really want to know alreadyyyy. I found out that one of my new classmates also applied for Turkish for the same level as me and was accepted as a semi-finalist. The idea that we might spend a whole summer together bettering out Turkish sounds amazing. 

These last few days have been so slow!

Hello to all! I'm an alumna of CLS Arabic 2015 (Meknès, Morocco) and would love to answer any questions you all have about the application/notification process or about the program in general. I loved my experiences in Morocco and am a huge fan and supporter of the CLS mission and its values. :) Don't be shy! In response to above comments, would totally be willing to send along my successful application essays/materials.

If anyone else is biting their nails over their Boren Scholarship application, I'd love to talk to you too! I just submitted my application for a year in Muscat. Fingers crossed!

Edited by maybemuscat

@maybemuscat  Thanks for the consideration!   Well...do you know about the odds for those of us that are semi-finalists? I know that it's esssentially just a week or two until we get our answers, but I can't help asking. 

What would you consider were factors for your acceptance?

@pdh12 If I remember correctly, your odds go up to around 50/50 if you cleared the first round. 

As far as factors for my acceptance, I think the cleanest part of my application was my personal statement; I made sure to link a personal narrative with my passion for and desire to study Arabic in the short and long term. This is classic essay advice for this kind of application, but it goes a long way! Best of luck to you all :) 

On 2/12/2016 at 9:31 PM, sofisramirez8 said:

Hi thanks for the sharing the odds for the notification! I was wondering what they were and hadn't found them anywhere beforehand. Do you remember when you received your notification as a finalist? I know some people here expect to hear around mid-February but since our semi-finalist notifications came out really late this year (January 28th) I was assuming we wouldn't hear back for at least another 3 weeks.

Also, if you wouldn't mind I'd love to read your essays and compare them to how I structured mine! I think it would be extremely helpful especially if I don't make it as a finalist for Chinese this year and apply next year. 

@sofisramirez8 Hey there! Last year's second round notification went out on January 13th and final acceptances were sent out on February 26th; we didn't have any delays with the application system or major snowstorms, though! Given the initial delays, I doubt that mid-February acceptance notifications will be the order of the day -- still, I don't imagine that CLS would prolong the acceptance date too much, given the earlier delays, the fact that it's a summer program, and the fact that CLS gives you a full three weeks to decide whether you'll be accepting or declining your award.

I'd be happy to send you what I wrote! Just send me a PM :)

Hey @maybemuscat, thanks for coming in to give us some reassurance. I know someone who also applied for the Boren to go to Oman next year! It looks like a great program, so good luck with that application process! 

I have a general question. I heard that the CLS is a great chance to network in some ways. Because you're learning a critical language and it's put on by the government, it might be a chance to find potential outlets for a job in the government with language expertise. Do you think that is a true assessment? Or maybe just a rumor? 

@mrs12 Hey! In terms of government jobs, I'd like to speak up for the State Department's Internship program, of which I'm an alumnus. I worked for a branch of Public Diplomacy in the Paris embassy, and came away with a solid sense of life/work as a diplomat. I would be happy to answer questions about it, but it's definitely worth looking into for those with an interest in foreign relations--or simply those with an interest in applying their non-political skills to job with the government abroad!

Oooh, @pdh12, can we talk about that? I also did the internship with the State Department, in Ankara Turkey, and it's made me want to join the FS. What were your feelings when you finished it? Do you want to head that route? Did it give you ideas for other routes? And if you are thinking about the Foreign Service, how are you going about getting there? 

(Also I want to hear all about PD, I was in ECON which was not a fit for my skills, but still fascinating!)

Oh, wow! I guess it's a small world...and Ankara sounds like an amazing place! Specifically, I worked for the African Regional Services for the 10-week summer internship (supporting music/arts exchanges, voters rights, women's rights, and literacy throughout francophone Africa! It was more dynamic, and more rewarding than I anticipated. PD definitely suited me more than the other departments, but I did interview/observe diplomats and offices throughout the embassy.  There were some interesting stats passed around. They said a lot of FSOs have ADD/ADHD, and that a lot of secret agents were Mormons! This is all word-of-mouth, so I wouldn't know how to verify...

Admittedly, though, my background is probably unconventional for a FSO (I'm studying literary translation...and poetry). But once I graduate from my MFA, I'm going to apply for a variety of programs: a government-sponsored year-long study in Pakistan (for Urdu), PHD Comp Lit, or an MFA in poetry. 

Once I feel like I've pursued Alllll the education possible, I'll then take the tests!  Language knowledge gives you extra points, too! 

21 hours ago, mrs12 said:

Hey @maybemuscat, thanks for coming in to give us some reassurance. I know someone who also applied for the Boren to go to Oman next year! It looks like a great program, so good luck with that application process! 

I have a general question. I heard that the CLS is a great chance to network in some ways. Because you're learning a critical language and it's put on by the government, it might be a chance to find potential outlets for a job in the government with language expertise. Do you think that is a true assessment? Or maybe just a rumor? 

@mrs12 CLS is really good about keeping in touch with its alumni and in general the alumni base on social media and LinkedIn is booming and very responsive. One of the best things about being in the program with regard to networking would be the pre-departure orientation in D.C. -- CLS brought in top level officers from different alphabet orgs, think tanks, and NGOs to talk about career opportunities for those with language skills, which was amazing! The setting was, helpfully, quite intimate as these individuals presented informally to about 40 or so of us from the Ibri, Oman and Meknes, Morocco groups and we were able to ask questions and talk to them afterward. So I would say it's definitely a true assessment, just make sure to go up and talk to the representatives visiting the CLS crews after their presentations before you get another helping of Indian food ;) (the orientation was spectacularly catered, like...it was amazing hahaha)

oh man, given all the great things i've been hearing about the program since the first-round, it will be Especially soul-crushing if I/we don't get chosen!!   I hope to hear of everyone's results on this forum......

Edit: *sigh*, I sent an ETA inquiry email, asking if there were a specific day we could hope for news....I'll share the answer if it promises to assuage some anticipation......

Edited by pdh12

On 2/14/2016 at 8:39 PM, maybemuscat said:

@sofisramirez8 Hey there! Last year's second round notification went out on January 13th and final acceptances were sent out on February 26th; we didn't have any delays with the application system or major snowstorms, though! Given the initial delays, I doubt that mid-February acceptance notifications will be the order of the day -- still, I don't imagine that CLS would prolong the acceptance date too much, given the earlier delays, the fact that it's a summer program, and the fact that CLS gives you a full three weeks to decide whether you'll be accepting or declining your award.

I'd be happy to send you what I wrote! Just send me a PM :)

True, they will want to give finalists three weeks to decide whether they're going to accept their scholarships.  Hopefully this means we'll hear back this week, or next at the latest!

I received a generous response to my ETA inquiry, and indeed, it looks like we'll be waiting till the Very End of February. @mrs12 could you tell us a bit more about applying for the Pickering fellowship? Is it only for those enrolled in a relevant graduate degree?  Thanks!

Hey @pdh12, of course, I can! So there are two very similar fellowships, the Pickering and the Rangel. They provide funding for grad school in return for a commitment to work for at least 5 years in the Foreign Service. Anyone with an interest can apply, but you have to apply before you're going to grad school, or in the Pickering's case they allow a very small amount of undergrads to apply during their 3rd year. If you're accepted, there's not a program requirement, you just have to be able to argue how that graduate degree would enhance foreign diplomacy and be of help to the FS. It ranges from the obvious IR, to area studies, economics, education, I even heard of someone doing linguistics, etc. 

The big thing is you can't already be in grad school. However, you can get a Masters and then apply to the Pickering for a second Masters. There's some minor differences between the Rangel and the Pickering, but it seems like most people apply to both if they're eligible to do so. 

These fellowships are looking to diversify the FS, so they are aimed at low-income and less commonly represented identities within the FS. 

23 hours ago, pdh12 said:

I received a generous response to my ETA inquiry, and indeed, it looks like we'll be waiting till the Very End of February. @mrs12 could you tell us a bit more about applying for the Pickering fellowship? Is it only for those enrolled in a relevant graduate degree?  Thanks!

Thanks for checking and letting us know!  Holding out for next Friday, but I suppose we may have to wait until Monday the 29th- damn leap year! :D