Very Low GRE Scores and Applying for PhD in Sociology

Camila Chidid

Hey... I have to say my profile as a PhD candidate for Sociology is very strong except for my GRE scores (v: 154 m:150). Portuguese is my first language but still I have great concerns about being admitted to Yale, Princeton, Columbia, NYU and UT... Any successful story out there? I don't want to wait another year...

Short answer: No, you won't be getting into those programs.

Longer answer: You don't list any more details about your profile, and given the arbitrariness of admission committees, it's impossible to give a definitive no. But a generic "very strong" profile is not enough to overcome GRE scores like that, especially for top programs like Princeton or NYU. Maybe UT or Yale, which are marginally less competitive, but even that would be a stretch. You're honestly just wasting your money.

Of course, by a "very strong" application, you could be talking about at least one solo publication, stellar recommendations, or at least something that makes you really stand out as an applicant. If that's the case, you aren't necessarily doomed (unless the programs have a strict GRE cutoff). Otherwise, you should be more realistic and aim lower. Or work on strengthening your application for next year's cycle.