Microbiology PhD applicant - Fall 2016

Gram Positive

Hi everyone! Just wanted to see if anyone else was applying to microbiology programs this fall. I got my applications in earlier in November. Is anyone applying to similar places? Does anyone have experience at these schools?

Undergrad Institution: Medium-size (20,000) state school, Carnegie-level research
Major(s): Microbiology and Chemistry (two majors); Cell, Molecular, and Structural Biology (CMSB) combined BS/MS (5 year program)
Minor(s): none
GPA in Major: 4.00
Overall GPA: 4.00
Position in Class: Probably top
Type of Student: Domestic, male, white

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 170 (98%)
V: 168 (98%)
W: 4.5 (80%)
B: Didn't take

Research Experience: 5 years of biochemistry/enzymology research in antibiotic resistance with two middle author publications and one second author publication. Undergraduate and masters research in bioinformatics and microbial ecology (metagenomics) for about 2 years; I switched from one lab to another for my combined BS/MS program to get more comp bio/bioinformatics experience. Two poster presentations in regional bioinformatics conferences and one poster in an international microbiome conference. Currently writing masters thesis for combined BS/MS program and plan to submit two publications based on this research in the coming spring/summer.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Goldwater Scholarship, state-level bioinformatics scholarship, departmental biochemistry and microbiology scholarships, university-level scholarships, president's list, TerraGenome conference travel grant  

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Supplemental instructor for organic chemistry lab (I make IR and NMR fun, hehe) for two semesters (and next semester) for same professors. President of Microbiology Club on campus (organize social/outreach/guest speaker/career events).

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Nope

Special Bonus Points: Combined BS/MS? (Maybe?) My biochemistry PI and another PI at my school collaborate with a micro PI of interest at one of my top choices? 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

All microbiology PhD programs (some umbrella programs)

Emory University (MMG)

University of Michigan (PIBS)

Harvard University (BBS)

Rockefeller University (David Rockefeller Graduate Program)

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (MCB)

Case Western Reserve University (BSTP)

NIH OxCam Graduate Partnership Program (GPP)

University of Pittsburgh (MVM/IBGP)

Vanderbilt University (GPMI/IGP)

University of Rochester (IMV)

University of Wisconsin (MDTP)

Any comments or suggestions? Any recommendations?