Here I go again... Online MSW

Late in the summer, I began applying for late admissions to various MSW programs. I was able to complete my application for Simmons and I was accepted, but I ended up canceling my enrollment due to cold feet about the program. I desperately wanted to find a face to face program in my area, but the closest ones are over an hour and half away and I cannot imagine commuting, working, and taking care of a family while completing field work and coursework!

So now I am back to the application process. I have applied to many programs, all have pros and cons and I have no idea which way I am leaning. I have 24 months of post 9/11 GI BILL and I am not eligible for yellow ribbon because it was transferred to me.

Widener: moderately priced, clinical and trauma focused, but not as well ranked as some of the others
Simmons (I will have to get my deferral accepted or reapply all over again... waiting to hear back about that): clinical, moderate price, ranked okay
USC: clinical, ranked at the top, but the most expensive. I applied for a 25k per year scholarship and will ONLY go there if I am accepted and awarded that scholarship
Case Western: clinical, ranked at the top... expensive and scholarships are iffy... will only go with a scholarship that covers most of my unmet tuition
Western New Mexico University: Newly CSWE accredited, so not much history with this. Will take 21 semester hours of transfer credit from my previous Masters in Counseling Psych. Charges GI BILL users in state tuition and GI BILL covers all costs.
Arizona State University: GI BILL covers tuition, but is generalist and no clinical. I attended ASU for a doctoral program and I like their format.

I am lost and I have no idea what to do. Any input???

Christina

First, I would advise you not to consider rankings.  No one besides pre-admits does (not employers, certainly), and rankings do not pertain to quality of the program in any empirical way.  (Consider Case, which has a 90-something percent acceptance rate; that does not indicate that it selects highly qualified students, despite being "highly ranked.") Rankings are more related to faculty production of research and overall reputation of the institution, neither of which correlates to the quality of an individual program. Instead, consider seeking reviews of students enrolled in your programs of interest. I have heard some very awful things about some of the most expensive and highly ranked online programs (students don't take courses seriously, there is little interaction and feedback from students and professors). Personally, I would seek an online program that offers smaller class sizes, live instruction, etc., as well as being economical.

Second, can you clarify why you are interested in a specifically clinical program? With an MA in Counseling Psychology, I would guess that you have had significant coursework in clinical theory and practice. It seems to me that you may end up repeating material and be bored, without much new to add to your CV or resume. Consider the benefits of a generalist program that will prepare you for both clinical and administrative work (since many masters level SW end up in those positions). Furthermore, find out about how field works in each program, and consider whether you are able to find an appropriate internship that will build skills and support your goals for learning so that you can secure a position in your desired area after graduation.

Hope that helps.  (Also, I feel your pain. I commuted 12-15 hours per week for my MSW program, and I have no children.)

Very good input... Thank you. I had read the same things about the quality versus rankings... I guess my fear with WNMU is that they will lose their accreditation when I am halfway through their program as they get reassessed in 2017. I thought it was suspect that they will take 21 credits from my MA coursework since none of my coursework came from a MSW program. I feel like it is too good to be true.

As for the clinical question... I guess I was focusing there because it is what I enjoy and I could study clinical aspects of anything and never be bored. But you make a good point. Honestly, I want to be a social worker but did not have access to a social work program when I got my MA because I was living overseas and was limited to an extended campus of an American university. My MA was the only clinical grad program they had. It was not CACREP accredited, which means I cannot be a VA employee now as they recently changed their rules and require CACREP (mine was CACREP aligned, not CACREP accredited). Still got me licensure, but no VA job :).

I cannot imagine commuting that much while working and dealing with life, though I wish I could find a closer program. I do not enjoy online as much as I do face to face interactions.

Another one you could look into is Edinboro, in Pennsylvania.  I am currently in my second (out of two) years, and I have really liked it for the most part.  It is very affordable and its focus is trauma-informed care.  Downside is that you have to find your own internships.  If you have any questions, please feel free to post here or PM me.  :)