Applying for Fall 2016

ShadowCat

4 hours ago, HelloThisIsDog said:

Would you mind sharing if you applied to Ethno, Comp, or History and Lit? I'm History and Lit and I'm a nervous wreck right now

Comp, as you can see from the program listed under my avatar...

44 minutes ago, mmmarimba said:

UNT invitation for a skype interview next week...hopefully a harbinger of more good things!

Congratulations! Best of luck with your interview! Glad that our little sad-streak on the forum has taken a turn for the better.

Congrats also to the UChicago admit... I am insanely jealous!

My friend was accepted to their DMA Composition program after a Skype interview. No idea about Musicology. 

However I have similar questions about Brown, Harvard, Virginia, and Brandeis. 

Edited by mmmarimba

4 hours ago, mmmarimba said:

My friend was accepted to their DMA Composition program after a Skype interview.

Do you mean that this happened this application season (so just recently then)? Or in a previous year?

9 hours ago, musicologypl said:

Anyone, especially musicology applicants, heard anything from Stanford? Do they have interviews this year?

I didn't apply there, but a musicology Stanford acceptance was just posted on the results page, if that helps to clarify anything. (Congrats to that person!)

I suspect I'm going to get rejected from all but the place I have the interview at and my current institution. I applied at Stanford for composition, and if someone else has gotten an interview, chances are I'm on the rejected list and haven't gotten it yet. Another place only listened to my portfolio once, so I imagine they are likely a no as well... that leaves only one other reach school.

10 minutes ago, felagund said:

I suspect I'm going to get rejected from all but the place I have the interview at and my current institution. I applied at Stanford for composition, and if someone else has gotten an interview, chances are I'm on the rejected list and haven't gotten it yet. Another place only listened to my portfolio once, so I imagine they are likely a no as well... that leaves only one other reach school.

Same here maybe. There are posts on result page about an interview invite from UCLA, admits from Duke and Stanford, I applied to all these three schools but haven't heard anything...

17 hours ago, felagund said:

I think that's a very real possibility for me as well, based on a couple of the admits that have popped up on the results page. I'm already mulling over a Plan B or even Plan C for next year. It's so difficult not knowing what I'll be doing or where I'll be! Anyway, I definitely know how you guys feel...

Surprised to see that someone has an interview invite from UCLA. I applied there but don't remember reading anything about interviews being part of the process! Wasn't holding out a great deal of hope for UCLA even before I saw that: I had a really positive conversation with a professor from there a couple of months back, but I've heard that they don't tend to admit too many international students, and I know another non-US applicant who's a really strong candidate and probably a better fit than me.

I also noticed from reading the results page that people had interviews in previous years for Columbia and UPenn, two of the other places I've applied; again, I didn't notice any info on the departments' websites stating that we could expect to be interviewed. Is it meant to be just taken as read that shortlisted applicants are likely to have interviews? Definitely feeling like the clueless foreigner right now.

17 hours ago, lecturesonnothing said:

Surprised to see that someone has an interview invite from UCLA. I applied there but don't remember reading anything about interviews being part of the process! Wasn't holding out a great deal of hope for UCLA even before I saw that: I had a really positive conversation with a professor from there a couple of months back, but I've heard that they don't tend to admit too many international students, and I know another non-US applicant who's a really strong candidate and probably a better fit than me.

I also noticed from reading the results page that people had interviews in previous years for Columbia and UPenn, two of the other places I've applied; again, I didn't notice any info on the departments' websites stating that we could expect to be interviewed. Is it meant to be just taken as read that shortlisted applicants are likely to have interviews? Definitely feeling like the clueless foreigner right now.

UCLA have funding issues for international students because they're a public university so they don't/can't offer identical aid packages for everyone, like the bigger private universities can. Musicology has an easier time than Ethnomusicology though since they're funded from different divisions, from what I remember when I thought about applying (ended up not bothering because of lack of funding guarantees). 

UPenn interviews. Apparently some schools interview only the "maybe" list and admit other applicants without interview, some schools interview the whole shortlist, others don't interview at all. It does seem like schools are very consistent in their process but probably not worth reading too much into it until you start seeing acceptances pop up. I actually had interviews at a couple of schools which don't state that they interview - in fact one such school had me on the phone twice for over an hour each time, and I gather that's pretty normal for them. The other interviews I had were just 15 minute Skype sessions with (in retrospect) quite predictable questions.

Yeah in my experience when applying for masters programs it doesn't matter so much if they say an interview is required or not, it might change every year, or they might only interview some candidates. Some require you interview in person, some are ok with Skype. There really isn't any rhyme or reason. 

None of the schools I applied at say they have an interview process, but I know some do based on colleagues I know who are already there. Which is why it's a bit unnerving because the process can be pushed later and later without interviews, and I don't really know what to expect.