Applying for Fall 2016

ShadowCat

9 hours ago, floatinggreenskull said:

I applied, but I had heard that they had already contacted the applicants they wanted...? Personally assuming another rejection.

One more school to hear from before decisions. Come on, NYU...

seriously, why is NYU taking so long?? =/

On 3/16/2016 at 2:37 PM, ca820 said:

seriously, why is NYU taking so long?? =/

I was just officially notified of being on the wait list for NYU. They said they'd know more about who they can admit by April 1...

I'm relieved that my suspicions have been confirmed, and honoured/excited to have even got this far, though! Best of luck to you, I hope you get a similar email today. :)

Heard from BU and it was a no. I'm not sure what I'll do now or if I want to reapply for the next year. If you've been in this position before, I would love some advice!

I hope those who've not heard from their schools recieved good news! Good luck everyone!

Happy Friday everyone,

I just learned about this forum and I am so excited to be able to connect with other people interested in Musicology. I was accepted to direct entry PhD programs at UCLA and NYU. Do you guys have any advice on how to make a logical decision? I'm finishing my undergraduate degree at a small Canadian school. 

Thanks for your time!

On 16 Mar 2016 at 3:41 PM, Glinkasfriend said:

I'm in the same boat. I called BU today to ask when they will send out notifications about the results and they said sometime in the next two weeks.

I'm other news, out of the 4 schools I applied to, I have heard from three with rejections. The worst part is I had to call two of the three to ask when they would send the results. Apparently they sent out acceptance already but they failed to send out notifications of rejections ( for me anyways). I'm not sure what I'm going to do if I don't get into grad school...

@NightGallery I'm sorry to hear about the schools. I wish you the best of luck!

I've also had 3 rejections so far (Brandeis accepted me for a Masters but rejected me for PhD) and am only waiting for BU so I'm in a very similar situation. 
I'm actually already in a DMA at BU program (that is not funded, except a quarter tuition scholarship) so if I don't get in anywhere I will try and find funding for my current program, I think! 
I think if I were you I would just take a year off and apply again for next year - I might also try and reapply for other  places in the future. Good luck! 

On 3/17/2016 at 6:22 PM, floatinggreenskull said:

I was just officially notified of being on the wait list for NYU. They said they'd know more about who they can admit by April 1...

I'm relieved that my suspicions have been confirmed, and honoured/excited to have even got this far, though! Best of luck to you, I hope you get a similar email today. :)

Thank you! =) I was waitlisted at NYU also. But I was so horribly disappointed about UW and them having to suspend admission =/ I was really counting on UW.  Now that I've heard back from all schools, I have a really tough decision to make >_<

Good luck to you!! =)

21 hours ago, ca820 said:

Thank you! =) I was waitlisted at NYU also. But I was so horribly disappointed about UW and them having to suspend admission =/ I was really counting on UW.  Now that I've heard back from all schools, I have a really tough decision to make >_<

Good luck to you!! =)

Congrats on your acceptances & waitlists! That's such bum news about UW though! Do you mind me asking what they said? 

5 hours ago, MatchaMezzo said:

Congrats on your acceptances & waitlists! That's such bum news about UW though! Do you mind me asking what they said? 

Thanks! Did you apply PhD to UW also? UW just said that due to budgeting and staffing issues, they are suspending admission for the 2016-'17 academic year. I took it pretty hard, but I can always reapply next year.

Good luck to you, though!

11 hours ago, ca820 said:

Thanks! Did you apply PhD to UW also? UW just said that due to budgeting and staffing issues, they are suspending admission for the 2016-'17 academic year. I took it pretty hard, but I can always reapply next year.

Good luck to you, though!

Wow, that's an awful surprise ;( Yes, I applied for an MA in Ethnomusicology, but I wasn't one of their top choices, so I've just been waiting for the official rejection all this time. Is it too much to hope that they'd refund our application fees? ;)

Here's to next year! Best of luck to you, too~!!

Has anyone heard from BU as well as Toronto by chance? I've gotten three acceptances and am waiting to hear from these two. Also, I have received the best funding offer by far from the University of Minnesota. Does anyone have any knowledge on the program? 

Crickets on this thread for too long!

I hope everyone has heard back by this point with (hopefully) good news. It is truly a relief to have the wait over--now I can concentrate on stressing out about my masters thesis...so close yet so far...

1 hour ago, It's Me said:

Crickets on this thread for too long!

I hope everyone has heard back by this point with (hopefully) good news. It is truly a relief to have the wait over--now I can concentrate on stressing out about my masters thesis...so close yet so far...

I'm right there with you, frantically trying to finish my MA thesis! I'm still waiting on one school, so I assume at this point it's either a rejection or an unofficial wait list. I have three acceptances, but none with compelling financial offers so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm negotiating with a couple of the schools for more funding, so we'll see what happens. Good luck with your thesis! 

So Columbia just threw a pretty big spanner in the works. Got notified I was waitlisted there a few weeks ago, didn't think too much of it and got on with visiting and choosing between Cornell and Chicago, and thought I'd come to a decision which I was preparing to notify them about this week (I won't say publicly which way I've decided to go unless you push me really hard!). Now Columbia have emailed again to check whether or not I've accepted another offer yet, reaffirming their interest in my application, and telling me to expect news soon. Obviously they haven't actually made me an offer yet, but their having sent that email means it's at least on the cards as a serious possibility.

I haven't researched their program as closely as Cornell or Chicago, and was intimidated by the vast FAQs page on their website into not contacting anyone there before applying; I applied largely based on reputation, interest in a couple of faculty members' work, and location. It seems hard to turn down somewhere with that big a reputation (especially in my area of interest: twentieth-century studies/critical theory), and that good a location, without some serious consideration; but time is running out, and I'd wanted to finalise my decision by the end of this week, so as to give whoever's waitlisted at the place I'm turning down a couple of weeks to consider and respond to their offer.

(Also, I'm really not looking forward to turning down the school I'm thinking of turning down. I had some really great conversations and email correspondence with the professor I'd been interested in working with there, he seems very keen to work with me, and he's someone I definitely want to keep in touch with and on good terms with, but for various reasons I've decided the other program and school is a better fit more broadly. I don't even have the eas(y/ier) get-out card of funding considerations: the offers I've received are pretty comparable. Anyone have any thoughts on rejecting an offer, especially in a small field like ours, without burning bridges?)

@lecturesonnothingCongrats on having so many great options! Our field is very small and it is highly likely that these programs know that they are competing for you. If you've already ruled out Cornell or Chicago as a possibility, I would let them know sooner than later as to free up funds or a spot for other prospective students--since you've already decided on one over the other, this seems the most collegial. Definitely email the professor you've been in contact with and let them know how sincerely excited you were about the opportunity to work with them and perhaps mention grabbing coffee or something at the national AMS; they are obviously very interested in your work and this is a great way to seed staying in touch once the conference rolls around.

As for Columbia, how heavily is it weighed against your current first choice? If you are seriously considering Columbia, I would advise getting in contact with the faculty with whom you're interested in working--you might find that it's not as good a fit as you thought. Also get in contact with some of the graduate students (faculty will most likely introduce you if you ask) and do the research you didn't do initially. Reputation is not everything and given that these are all top rated programs, you have such a great opportunity to go with where you feel the most comfortable and able to succeed. I know it has got to be a tough choice!

Also done and locked up for next year:

I was accepted to 2 places (Brandeis and UNT) with full funding. 

Rejected from 2 (Harvard, Brown)

...and still haven't heard boo from UVA (which...whatever)

I'll be happily attending Brandeis in the fall! - Since I finished my thesis in December I'll be taking a much needed nap for the rest of the semester! Good luck to everyone else!

Edited by mmmarimba

@It's Me Thanks so much for your advice, and for kicking me out of my procrastination – I bit the bullet and emailed my POI and the director of grad admissions this morning. It was a bit of a painful experience to close the door on a potentially great future for good, but at least it's over with; I got a brief reply from the professor I'd been in touch with saying that he's disappointed to hear I'm not coming but is sure I have good reasons for my decision. Don't think I've burnt any bridges too badly. Slightly annoyingly, the online decision system forces you to say where you're going instead, which is a little difficult when I've got two offers still on the table, one of them very fresh!

I'm focusing on doing every bit of research I possibly can about Columbia over the next few days; I don't want to take too long over the decision, as I'm aware there are other people waitlisted! I'd (wrongly, it turns out) taken my waitlist email from Columbia as a 'soft rejection', and for various reasons it's the place I was least confident of getting an offer from when applying, so it takes some adjustment to suddenly get used to the idea that it's actually on the table. 

I see from your signature that you've had a fair few offers: guess you must be having an even tougher time than me deciding/having to turn down all but one of them?

(Also, congrats to @mmmarimba on your offers, and for having got through the tough process of deciding between them!)

@lecturesonnothingI'm glad to hear it went well! I hope it doesn't end up being too difficult of a decision for you.

It was tough turning down a lot of great offers. I had been in contact with my POIs at each university and was really excited about every program I applied to. One school in particular was very difficult--I wasn't expecting an acceptance from them at all and they were my first and most generous offer (and I would have been VERY happy there). However, the decision itself was fairly easy; I got into my top choice with excellent funding and accepted their offer that day (I'm happy to tell you where via PM).

My congratulations to @mmmarimba as well and to everyone else who has received and accepted an offer!

April 15th is almost here! Is there anyone else who still hasn't committed yet? I know that I need to decide within the next couple of days, but I'm having a really hard time weighing the pros and cons of my options. I've narrowed it down to two schools, but I'm on a waiting list at a school that would definitely be in the mix were I to hear from them in the next couple days. Anyway, congrats to those who have already committed, and good luck to anyone else who is still trying to figure everything out!

I am (im)patiently hoping I hear positive news from one last school which I've been wait listed at. I would absolutely love to attend!! Maybe tomorrow...

But yes, congratulations to all for just about making it through this admit season, no matter where the tides end up carrying you!