Canadian Audiology Thread 2016

swrigh11

35 minutes ago, AUD Hail Mary said:

Do you mind sharing what your stats are?

Sure. This is my first year applying. Overall GPA of 3.84 and Sub GPA of 3.92... About 6 months of shadowing with an audiologist (also did some shadowing with other rehab professionals). Undergrad included balancing academia with clinical time (in the healthcare setting) similar to how the aud program works. Volunteer experience is mostly with research in my undergrad field, couple publications and national conference presentations. Good luck everyone!

Edited by Floyd190

14 hours ago, AudioAlberta7 said:

accepted to Dal, rejected from Western..... really hoping to hear from UBC tomorrow. Has anyone else heard from them yet?

I also got accepted to Pacific's 3 year doctorate program, but I don't know how to justify that price tag.

If you are spending 3 years, it might be worth it to go to Pacific, get a doctorate and have the option of working in the US.  You get paid more down there.

Edited by AUD Hail Mary

Hello! I'm not Canadian but I am highly considering going to Pacific. I'm not sure if there would be a much higher price for you if they consider it international but if not, Pacific does knock off one year of loans with the accelerated program. What interviews were you at? There's an unofficial fb group called Pacific aud class of 2019, it'll be open until April 16 which is when our decisions are due. Mostly there just to chat about the school, housing options, finances, etc. You should join!

I'm not sure if you'd get paid more in the US, probably more that our cost of living might be less, but loans are horrid. it's usually about 30k a year in the US. Is it different there?

On 4/2/2016 at 3:07 PM, westerngalgrad said:

Waitlisted at Western too, second time applying. Really hope spots open up. Has anyone heard how many people were waitlisted this year?

I asked Janet and she said 25 people were on the waitlist and they are accepting 21 students into the program this year 

Edited by Aud2016

On 4/6/2016 at 11:11 PM, Aud2016 said:

I asked Janet and she said 25 people were on the waitlist and they are accepting 21 students into the program this year 

Thank you - I've been to nervous to call since I got an email saying they won't give out any information about the waitlist or your position on it. I've accepted the fact I won't be getting in this year unfortunately. 25 people on the waitlist is a lot. I don't understand what the rationale is to have more people on the waitlist than spots in the program? 

19 minutes ago, westerngalgrad said:

Thank you - I've been to nervous to call since I got an email saying they won't give out any information about the waitlist or your position on it. I've accepted the fact I won't be getting in this year unfortunately. 25 people on the waitlist is a lot. I don't understand what the rationale is to have more people on the waitlist than spots in the program? 

I know...its really the stupidest thing. But don't give up yet. You should email Janet and ask her whether you are on the top half or bottom half of the wait list. BTW did anyone here get into Dalhousie?

I learned by email yesterday that I was on the waitlist for UBC. I got rejected from uOttawa and Dal. Since I'm from Ottawa, this is not what I expected! Congratulations to everyone who got in :) 

6 hours ago, AudMusic said:

I learned by email yesterday that I was on the waitlist for UBC. I got rejected from uOttawa and Dal. Since I'm from Ottawa, this is not what I expected! Congratulations to everyone who got in :) 

Good luck! I hope you'll be accepted at UBC!

Does anyone know anything about Dalhousie's waitlist? All Crystal has said is that I can hear back anytime until the first two weeks of September.

For everyone on UBC's waitlist: Sue told me that all 12 positions are currently filled, so it really depends on if someone drops out.

8 hours ago, Chantal said:

Does anyone know anything about Dalhousie's waitlist? All Crystal has said is that I can hear back anytime until the first two weeks of September.

For everyone on UBC's waitlist: Sue told me that all 12 positions are currently filled, so it really depends on if someone drops out.

What about Western? Did Janet say anything?

On April 16, 2016 at 0:11 PM, Chantal said:

Do you mean that Sue explicitly said that all 12 people in those positions have paid their deposits? Or just that offers have been extended to all 12?

On 2016-04-17 at 10:12 PM, Aud2016 said:

What about Western? Did Janet say anything?

I don't know anything about Western's wait list - I wasn't offered a wait list position at Western!

16 hours ago, AudioAlberta7 said:

Do you mean that Sue explicitly said that all 12 people in those positions have paid their deposits? Or just that offers have been extended to all 12?

This is the email from Sue:

Thanks for your message and I’m pleased that you will stay on our wait list.  And, as you can imagine there are no guarantees when a spot will come up.  Our 12 Audiology positions are currently full, so it would need one of those students to drop out for whatever reason.  We just never know in any given year.  If you have other offers pending I would certainly be inclined to take them.

We are very pleased that UBC is your top choice, and you would be willing to make the move to Vancouver to join us if admitted. 

On April 18, 2016 at 3:39 PM, AudioAlberta7 said:

Hi, 

I'm currently in the UBC program (will be done after our comprehensive exams next week, yay!) and I was also once on the wait list. Last year, the deadline to accept was April 7 and the payment was due the following week. So, it is likely that all 12 people have paid their deposits. That said, do not lose hope. One of my classmates was accepted in late July because someone dropped out.

Good luck and feel free to message me if you have any questions. :)

Edited by DeafAudi

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone on the top half of the waitlist for Western audiology get called yet. I'm confused as to how people on the bottom half of the waitlist got contacted before people on the top half... Does anyone know how it works. I don't want to contact poor Janet again I've harassed that poor woman enough. Lol

• 5 months later...
On 4/1/2016 at 5:30 AM, AudioAlberta7 said:

accepted to Dal, rejected from Western..... really hoping to hear from UBC tomorrow. Has anyone else heard from them yet?

I also got accepted to Pacific's 3 year doctorate program, but I don't know how to justify that price tag.

Congratulations on getting accepted to Dal!!

Mind sharing your GPA? :)

Edited by embenAUD

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2016 at 3:16 PM, treaclemineroad said:

I got notified yesterday (by phone) of an offer of admission to Dalhousie, contingent on choosing between the SLP and Audiology programs. I don't know whether this means they have started sending out acceptances. Mine might have been early because of the condition attached, I don't know.

I am racked with indecision.

Hi!

Congrats on getting accepted to Dalhousie.

I was just wondering if you could tell me what your GPA/average was (on a 4.3 scale) at the time of acceptance?

Thanks!