UMD - Geology vs MEES Program?

cobalt27

Hi all,

I'm interested in both the Geology and Marine Estuarine Environmental Sciences (MEES) programs at the University of Maryland. My research interests are focused on geochemistry in aquatic environments, and I think both programs could be a good fit. I am slightly more interested in the geology program mostly due to the coursework described on the program website - however, the only faculty member in the geology department I would be interested in working with has been unresponsive to my emails (so I'm assuming this person is not taking on new students). 

I am considering focusing solely on the MEES program, as I am unsure how it would impact my admission to the geology program to have my only POI be from a different program. The geology program at UMD is also more competitive than the MEES program.

Does anyone have experience with UMD, or been in a similar situation with a different school?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but I did my undergrad in geochemistry and I intended to focus on environmental/aqueous geochemistry. Despite applying to a lot of geosciences programs, I ended up picking an environmental engineering program (with a prof who matches my research interests in geochemistry). At first, I was nervous that the coursework would be totally irrelevant, but I've found that engineering courses have given me knowledge and perspective that more geology courses would have never given me. I wouldn't write off the MEES program just because the courses don't sound quite like they'll be a good fit. At the end of the day, your research is way more important than your coursework and you might end up finding things useful that initially didn't seem like they would be.

Thanks for the response. That's interesting to hear that you consider research "way more" important than coursework - I've heard they're about even. After looking into the programs more, I'll probably end up applying to the MEES program.

Out of curiosity, how was the transition from geochemistry to engineering for you?

From my experience (a whopping one semester haha), your classes are there to help you with your research (if you're applying for a PhD program. I just realized you didn't specify). At the end of the day, you don't want to break your neck trying to get an A in a class when your program only requires a B and those hours could be put toward research. In an ideal world, you should be getting straight As and be super productive with your research, but a lot of times it's not possible to do all of that in a day *and* get a full night's sleep.

The transition hasn't been too bad so far, but my advisor has a geology/geochemistry background like me which makes it easier. I'd say my research is still geochemistry-related, it just happens to be in an environmental engineering department.

I unfortunately can't help you with your question, but I am a current geology student at UMD. Not sure which faculty member you're trying to get in touch with, but if you get a response and want to know more about that person and how working with them would be I might be able to help. UMD has an extremely strong geochemistry department, hope your application goes well

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses! I ended up deciding not to submit an application - I couldn't find a POI who was currently taking on grad students in my area, and needed to focus more on my other apps.