Low to No GRE Req.

Hi all! I hope your semester is coming to a happy/non-miserable ending and the application season is treating you well!

I assume that I'm not the only one that has or is currently battling with PhD applications and low GRE scores. I have identified a few schools that do not hold the GRE in high regard but am looking for a few more. Some would consider these "safety schools". Post PhD completion, I have a desire to work a 4:4 schedule at a non R1 school so I have no real desire to attend a super R1 school for my education. 

Consider UConn for example, their system kicks back an automatic rejection letter if the applicant does not meet their minimum requirements (GRE, GPA, etc.). Regardless of how good the applicant's CV and letters of recommendation are, the applicant literally put their application fees in the trash. I'm trying to avoid schools with these type of systems in place and ensure my application stands a chance.

Any and all insight is appreciated! 

Best!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I was in the same boat as you in terms of concern about GRE scores, and similar career goals to just do a 4:4 teaching schedule not at a R1 institution.  Based on most of the schools I have looked at many do not have specific cut offs for GRE scores.  (UCONN's are actually pretty low as well).  Several of the schools I have contacted do not have cut offs.  Generally, if it isn't directly listed on the GRE requirement on the admissions page it will be on the programs FAQ page.  If not, you can always contact the Graduate Director, but I usually would weave other questions in there as well about the program so my desperation about GRE scores wasn't as evident.  

• 10 months later...

I'm prepping for the GRE in August and looking at masters programs in Communication and Journalism. I can agree that the GRE is a pain since it only tests your test-taking skills instead of actual content. Not to mention reliving just how painful Math can be. However, my undergrad GPA was a bit sub par and I graduated two years. So what other revenues are there to pursue to beef up my application and increase my chances of getting accepted?

I know that matriculating classes are an option, but if there are two things I'm short on its time and money.  Any advice? 

• 1 month later...

I had rather low GRE scores (ok, my education is not American and I believe committees knew that I was not used to standardized testing but still...) and I don't think that it's necessarily the low ranking schools you should aim for. As others have said I'd suggest finding programs with really good research fit. If possible, polishing up some papers and getting them into conferences. Having great teaching experience can help, too. Get in touch with program coordinators and admins and with faculty you'd have good fit and talk to them about your situation. Let them know you're a good candidate and what your plans for the future are (they will likely change but ya know, can still pretend to know.). 

If you can afford it, retake the test.

And, uhm, not that I actually know what cut-offs are etc but I think 'low GRE scores' can probably mean a lot of things here :D For some people, they'd maybe consider a 70th percentile low here, others an 85th and again others a sub-50. Standards differ. Thankfully. 

Good luck. And don't sell yourself as an "only 4:4 teaching blah" candidate. Sell yourself as a multi-faceted researcher, teacher, thinker. Don't sell yourself short!