2016 Neuroscience Ph.D. Applicant Thread People Thing

StrongTackleBacarySagna

On 2/3/2016 at 7:07 PM, theNormalONE said:

Anyone got reply from U Pitt CNUP program?

On 2/3/2016 at 11:22 PM, theNormalONE said:

@proton I mailed the graduate co-ordinator couple of times. Both replies were like we are still reviewing applications and you will get to know soon. People have started getting rejections from CNUP and it's quite late in terms of interview weekends.

Hey, I just got an interview invite (to be held via Skype) from UPitt CNUP yesterday. But I'm international, and they always call international students only after domestic (I don't know if this means they've completely finished processing domestic applications or what). I will mostly be turning down the invite though. Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, Brainbee said:

Hey guys! I've been lurking as a guest for quite some time, and I figured I should finally make an account so I can contribute to the conversation. @nebulasector7 YES! where are you deciding between?

I'm deciding between washu and uc davis and i'm already ready to rip my hair out!!

what about you!

Congratulations on your acceptances to Davis and WashU!

I was just wondering if anyone else was put on some sort of waitlist before the interviews of a specific program? I was notified I was on a wait list after this school sent out some rejections but also after they sent interview invites. Not many people turn down interviews so now I am just like hello from the other side

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Neurds, the interview season is winding down, the offers are coming in (I hope!) and decisions are being made. How did everyone do? Did you get your top choice? Still weighing your options? Excited about your future? I think it would be nice to hear about everyone's outcomes and maybe about their plans moving forward.

As for me, I ended up getting offers from 4 institutions out of 9 applications, and decided to go with UC Denver's program, which was my top choice, woo! I'm super excited to start there!

In response to above, I got into my top choice program (University of Rochester) and I accepted.

One thing though--so, I graduated college in May 2015 and took a year off, but I didn't intend to.  I actually applied to grad school during my senior year of undergrad and didn't get in... anywhere.  It was extremely confusing, especially since GREs, GPA, recommendations and whatever were all decent.  I considered posting my rejections to grad cafe but decided not to because I was too embarrassed.  Anyway, I took a year off and did research in cog neuro (which is what I want to pursue), applied again on a complete whim, and I got in.  I'm really glad I took the year off to focus on something before applying again.  In undergrad, my interests were all over the place.

The moral of the story is don't let rejections get you down.  I know it's cliche, but hearing someone else say, "The first time I applied to grad school I got rejected from literally everywhere," a year ago would have made me feel a little bit better.  So that's what I'm saying to you :)

Edited by toen

7 hours ago, nicedogs said:

Hey Neurds, the interview season is winding down, the offers are coming in (I hope!) and decisions are being made. How did everyone do? Did you get your top choice? Still weighing your options? Excited about your future? I think it would be nice to hear about everyone's outcomes and maybe about their plans moving forward.

As for me, I ended up getting offers from 4 institutions out of 9 applications, and decided to go with UC Denver's program, which was my top choice, woo! I'm super excited to start there!

Congratulations on landing your top choice program!!! For me, I am waitlisted at my top choice program, and everyday I wake up hoping that the acceptance email is waiting for me. Denver is a beautiful place to be, and the CU Denver campus is just lovely (not to mention their great science programs!).

Good luck to you going forward, I hope to hear back from my school soon and share the news!

@toen Good story to share, and I am glad you landed your top choice!

@WillComeTrue best of luck to you. Hopefully it's a short list.

To me, one of the best parts of this whole strange period has been meeting people. For instance, I have a standing lunch date with a prominent PI whom someone once referred to as my "academic grandfather," for when we are in the same city at the same time. This came about because of happenstance contact, and eventual correspondence begat by the application/interview process.

Thank you so much @NeuroMetro!!! I also hope that the list is getting shorter/people who received offers decline for better choices and that I am one of their top alternates. I completely agree that the best part of the application cycle was getting to know people and building valuable relationships! I made friends with the interviewees who were at the same interview with me and the current grad students at the schools. Also the professors I met at the schools were awesome. It was truly amazing to meet so many talented, brilliant people. This was overall very stimulating and exciting experience!

Does anyone feel like there is a school that is trying particularly hard to recruit them? After my interview, I sent thank you emails and received very lengthy and nice emails about how thought I would do very well at their school. When I was accepted, a couple of the faculty sent me another email congratulating me and then offering to answer any of my questions to make a decision. It's been a few weeks then but I just received another email today again offering to answer any questions and saying how they hope I will choose their school

12 hours ago, Fallneuro16 said:

Does anyone feel like there is a school that is trying particularly hard to recruit them? After my interview, I sent thank you emails and received very lengthy and nice emails about how thought I would do very well at their school. When I was accepted, a couple of the faculty sent me another email congratulating me and then offering to answer any of my questions to make a decision. It's been a few weeks then but I just received another email today again offering to answer any questions and saying how they hope I will choose their school

Nope.  Sounds like you're just super cool :)

9 hours ago, toen said:

Nope.  Sounds like you're just super cool :)

I don't know about that but it's almost making things awkward now. I am pretty sure that I am going to go with another school but I feel bad saying no... :(

@Fallneuro16 that's reasonable. Though you should not feel bad. If you feel that a program's enthusiasm for you as a candidate is a positive point in your deliberation, then great. Otherwise, be respectful, grateful, and gracious about their interest, but it's your life, and your decision. You have every right to make your choice of school/career based on whatever factors are important to you, and they surely know this.

19 hours ago, Fallneuro16 said:

I don't know about that but it's almost making things awkward now. I am pretty sure that I am going to go with another school but I feel bad saying no... :(

Don't worry- It's hard to say no to schools that reach out to you like that-  I had a few that did that and I was super nervous sending them my emails declining their offers. People replied wishing me luck and congratulating me and it wound up being a lot less awkward than I thought it would be. 

On 3/27/2016 at 5:15 PM, bdnf_13.1 said:

Don't worry- It's hard to say no to schools that reach out to you like that-  I had a few that did that and I was super nervous sending them my emails declining their offers. People replied wishing me luck and congratulating me and it wound up being a lot less awkward than I thought it would be. 

On 3/26/2016 at 11:05 PM, NeuroMetro said:

@Fallneuro16 that's reasonable. Though you should not feel bad. If you feel that a program's enthusiasm for you as a candidate is a positive point in your deliberation, then great. Otherwise, be respectful, grateful, and gracious about their interest, but it's your life, and your decision. You have every right to make your choice of school/career based on whatever factors are important to you, and they surely know this.

Much appreciated from both of you. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one and will try to write as nice of a thank you note as I can to the schools I decline.

1 hour ago, Fallneuro16 said:

Much appreciated from both of you. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one and will try to write as nice of a thank you note as I can to the schools I decline.

I was telling my research advisor I was surprised by how it feels so unpleasant to have to write those emails (I wrote to the people who sent the offer, checked in on me, or those with whom I spoke on the phone in the fall or who really helped me get information about the programs) and they said that not a lot of people do it, but that it's the right thing to do. It's ok to keep it short though! just a couple sentences will do

• 2 weeks later...

After 8 applications, 2 interviews and 1 acceptance, I'm officially going to grad school! Anyone else here going to WVU in the fall for their biomedical graduate program? I'll be there for neuro! 

@Superres and @proton what options are you each looking at?  I am also struggling, in no small part due to major and unfortunate family event that occurred over the last couple weeks, which has forced me to reevaluate every potential living situation/finances/life in general.

@NeuroMetro I am so sorry to hear that, that is a big fear of mine--if I move away,,, I have good option at Pitt! but then someone told me that maybe I should consider getting masters in engineering....basically I am questioning everything. you?

Edited by proton

23 hours ago, proton said:

@NeuroMetro I am so sorry to hear that, that is a big fear of mine--if I move away,,, I have good option at Pitt! but then someone told me that maybe I should consider getting masters in engineering....basically I am questioning everything. you?

I grew up in Pittsburgh and did my undergrad at CMU (which is right next door to Pitt), so I know the area pretty well.  I absolutely love, love, love the city and highly recommend it.  If you end up choosing it and need help with any Pittsburgh related stuff, message me. :)

On 3/15/2016 at 8:02 PM, Brainbee said:

Hey guys! I've been lurking as a guest for quite some time, and I figured I should finally make an account so I can contribute to the conversation. @nebulasector7 YES! where are you deciding between?

I'm deciding between washu and uc davis and i'm already ready to rip my hair out!!

what about you!