2016 Neuroscience Ph.D. Applicant Thread People Thing

StrongTackleBacarySagna

37 minutes ago, kokobanana said:

woah, that's some serious sleuthing.. I'm impressed!

I appreciate it. I was just trying to find out when their interview weekend was and I stumbled on that as well.

Another neuro phd applicant here. I only applied to two schools--those that have my favorite labs. Both are highly selective so there's a good chance I won't even get an interview this year but I knew that from the start. I graduated in May and I'm tech right now in a great lab at a top 10 neuro program. If I'm not successful this year, I'll be an even better candidate next year with a year and a half of full-time research in exactly the area I want to pursue under my belt. 

Wishing you all the best in this process, and hoping I'll be lucky enough to meet some of you at interviews.

Just noticed that someone posted today on the survey that they got an invite call from MIT this morning. Not sure if it's a troll as ppl here assumed for the Harvard survey post. MIT sent an email about a week ago saying that they would be sending out their invites in January. Anyone else hear from MIT?

Hey Guys,

I actually got a phone interview invitation from MIT ! I made the survey submission today. I got a call in the morning from a professor. She told me the interview dates were from March 9-11. I believe she called me because she was a previous postdoc in the lab of one of my letter writers and wanted to personally invite me. She mentioned that official email invitations will be sent out later. That means the actual email invitations have not been released yet ! Seems like they have made their decisions but have not officially released the information. Not all the invitations are by phone.

15 minutes ago, peachuzz34 said:

Hey Guys,

I actually got a phone interview invitation from MIT ! I made the survey submission today. I got a call in the morning from a professor. She told me the interview dates were from March 9-11. I believe she called me because she was a previous postdoc in the lab of one of my letter writers and wanted to personally invite me. She mentioned that official email invitations will be sent out later. That means the actual email invitations have not been released yet ! Seems like they have made their decisions but have not officially released the information. Not all the invitations are by phone.

Thanks for the info. Any reason why you think they'd hold on to decisions until Jan?

28 minutes ago, Edotdl said:

Thanks for the info. Any reason why you think they'd hold on to decisions until Jan?

Happy to clarify it for you guys ! The trolls on the survey definitely throw me off and I don't want to cause any confusion. I am not exactly sure why they would wait till January. It is possible that they may send invitations sooner. If not, I would assume it is political since the top programs seem to coordinate with one another in regards to invitations and interview dates. Interviews in March are fairly late, which could be a reason for pushing the invitation. The best I can do is let you guys know as soon as I receive the official email invitation. That should hopefully be more valid. The whole idea of phone invitations is somewhat ambiguous and variable. It is up to faculty to call unofficially and emails seem more officially aligned with the programs projected itinerary. All we can do at this point is wait and it's painfully suspenseful.

8 hours ago, peachuzz34 said:

Happy to clarify it for you guys ! The trolls on the survey definitely throw me off and I don't want to cause any confusion. I am not exactly sure why they would wait till January. It is possible that they may send invitations sooner. If not, I would assume it is political since the top programs seem to coordinate with one another in regards to invitations and interview dates. Interviews in March are fairly late, which could be a reason for pushing the invitation. The best I can do is let you guys know as soon as I receive the official email invitation. That should hopefully be more valid. The whole idea of phone invitations is somewhat ambiguous and variable. It is up to faculty to call unofficially and emails seem more officially aligned with the programs projected itinerary. All we can do at this point is wait and it's painfully suspenseful.

Wow congrats!! Thats huge! Even though I said I hoped the person was a troll, what I really meant was "ahhhhh anxiety!" I guess I should have known MIT would do things differently after all... :D

Hey  @nicedogs !  I suspect we know each other. And guess what? you get to see familiar face at interviews!!!

Looking forward to meeting you @Chocolosaurus!

Interview UC Denver Anschutz - Neuroscience (by phone)! Such a relief to get that first invite, phew....

22 minutes ago, NeuroMetro said:

Hey  @nicedogs !  I suspect we know each other. And guess what? you get to see familiar face at interviews!!!

Looking forward to meeting you @Chocolosaurus!

Interview UC Denver Anschutz - Neuroscience (by phone)! Such a relief to get that first invite, phew....

Hey! When did you have your application submitted to Denver? I'm waiting to hear back from them.

3 minutes ago, hoste058 said:

Hey! When did you have your application submitted to Denver? I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Hoste058, early November, but in a chat I recently had with the head of their adcomm, it was inferred they don't look at them until all your LOR's are also submitted (so mine would have been Dec 1st). I also was given the impression that they are all reviewed at the same time regardless of how early, by what he said. Hope this helps. Best of luck!