2016 EE PhD Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

Edotdl

3 hours ago, qqqqqq said:

MIT EECS acceptance emails are out? Just saw a couple on admission results page.

Maybe some informal emails from professors just telling them ahead of time. I got an email from a Michigan professor, but I haven't got the official letter. I also got an email from a professor from Florida last night around 7:30pm mountain time, which would be 9:30pm eastern. So maybe MIT professors are just doing similar things. I also applied to MIT, of course, but have yet to hear anything, but one of my letters was only submitted on Jan 3rd. So who knows.  

On 1/16/2016 at 5:04 PM, qqqqqq said:

MIT EECS acceptance emails are out? Just saw a couple on admission results page.

I don't know if it means anything but for Columbia as well as MIT the admissions have been for international applicants (dont know if you guys noticed). I believe these people need early admissions as they need visas/work orders/travel plans etc etc. which we (US citizens) don't need. 

Edited by blackswan13
GRammar argh!

I asked the MIT EECS admissions department and they said admission letters will be going out through February. If you don't receive one by the end of Feb, I guess you should assume a reject. Let's pray guys :D

18 hours ago, blackswan13 said:

I don't know if it means anything but for Columbia as well as MIT the admissions have been for international applicants (dont know if you guys noticed). I believe these people need early admissions as they need visas/work orders/travel plans etc etc. which we (US citizens) don't need. 

As an international I can tell you we need time for visa but not that early. March is more than enough to start.

18 hours ago, blackswan13 said:

Unless of course the research is nuclear engineering related then it would actually be impossible to get a visa.

10 hours ago, gradcatmewsings said:

Just as an update, I was officially admitted to UT Austin and the University of Michigan this past weekend, all for solid-state electronics/nanotechnology. Good luck, everyone!

Awesome, I got into Mich also, but for e-mag stuff. Who else are you waiting on? 

26 minutes ago, B00mt0wn said:

Awesome, I got into Mich also, but for e-mag stuff. Who else are you waiting on? 

A lot of places! Berkeley EECS, Stanford EE, MIT EECS, Caltech EE, UIUC ECE, Princeton EE, Cornell ECE, Purdue ECE - all for direct PhD or combined MS/PhD. No rejections yet, but that's only a matter of time... :wacko:

19 minutes ago, Nallapar said:

Anybody heard back from Stanford, MIT, Michigan or UIUC EE PhD? Got replies from my biomed list but no EE replies yet. 

I haven't heard back from Stanford or MIT. I think two people just said they got into MIch in previous posts.

23 minutes ago, Nallapar said:

Anybody heard back from Stanford, MIT, Michigan or UIUC EE PhD? Got replies from my biomed list but no EE replies yet. 

I have received acceptances from Michigan, Florida, and Arizona State. I also applied to UIUC, MIT, CMU, Cornell, Notre Dame, Northeastern, Colo. St., NYU, and NC St. I have not heard from the others yet. 

I see, that's comforting that MIT and Stanford haven't given out results yet. 

@B00mt0wn when and how did you revieve Mich result? I was in talk with poi back in '15 summer and he promised to look for funding come January. But he suddenly stopped replying to mails...

Edited by Nallapar

10 hours ago, Yav Friendly said:

Congrats! How is the funding?

From what I know, it's either no funding (aside from loans/fin aid/work study) or a few grand if you're a top student (maybe 10 a year?) as a Tesla Scholar. I'd consider it if my employer pays for it, but it's a but hard to afford without aid.

Just now, Nallapar said:

I see, that's comforting that MIT and Stanford haven't given out results yet. 

@B00mt0wn when and how did you revieve Mich result? I was in talk with poi back in '15 summer and he promised to look for funding come January. But he suddenly stopped replying to mails...that's very discomforting..

I received an informal email from a professor that I had been in contact with. He just said that I had been accepted and that I would be receiving an official letter in the next few days. Well, the official letter came by email exactly one week afterwards. Florida was literally the same process except I got the official offer sooner. ASU gave me an unofficial email acceptance.