2016 EE PhD Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

Edotdl

30 minutes ago, blackswan13 said:

I sent them an email and Stanford admissions said they are still making decisions based on when the faculty is getting back to them. Not counting on it but for those who still care... 

Thank you for informing us. I was wondering the same thing although MIT was originally my top choice. I did not have any interview but have communicated with several professors in the past.

1 hour ago, gradece2016 said:

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I got a formal visit letter for ECE (PhD) at Cornell for F16?

What does this mean? Is there anyone else in a similar situation? Thanks!

If your letter didn't explicitly state that you were admitted, that means the admission decision will be made after you visit the campus. Therefore, it's extra important that you visit and make a good impression on the professors with whom you have an interview. :)

Just now, vanapand said:

Guys...Congrats to your admits!

Could you please tell me how much GRE score is required for Stanford PhD EE?

I got 170Q/162V/4.5AW and got in, although that's just one data point. Also worth noting, there are probably many other factors that are more significant for PhD admissions than general GRE scores.

Thank you so much for the earliest reply.

Could you please comment on my profile below? 

B.E Instrumentation & Control (CGPA: 9.53/10) - University Gold Medalist

Diploma in Electronics & Communication Engg. (%: 92.95/100) - University Gold Medalist

Public School Examination (%: 93.80/100)

GRE/TOFEL: About to appear

Research Experience: 2 year RAship + ~1.5 years industrial experience

Publications: 5 conference papers & 4 journal papers (Track: Circuits ) + 1 springer book chapter

Scholarships/ Extra-curricular Activities: Many

I am planning for Fall 2017. Where do i have to focus? 

On February 16, 2016 at 1:59 AM, Edotdl said:

I got 170Q/162V/4.5AW and got in, although that's just one data point. Also worth noting, there are probably many other factors that are more significant for PhD admissions than general GRE scores.

Another data point : 170Q/158V/4.5AW.  Pretty sure my V is on the lower end. I was lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

I thought I should contribute since I got immensely helped from this site for a long time. 

EE major interested broadly in circuit design and design automation tools.

Undergrad Institution: Top Engineering School in Japan
Major(s): EE
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.9+
Overall GPA: 3.9+
Position in Class: top 2% 

Type of Student: Asian Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 166 (92%)
V: 160 (85%)
W: 4.5 (80%)

TOEFL Total: 114 
Research Experience: I have done my bachelor and master's thesis in electronics. My major research work is my ongoing master's thesis, where I have designed some circuit. The current work would become a paper unless it is a company project. I have also participated in several other projects, where my contribution isn't so profound. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

IEE academic award (Japan), Monbukagakusho Scholarship

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

TA for experiment relevant to my research focus, TA for two other non-related courses, Two short term internships in good Japanese companies but irrelevant to my research interest.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: 

Special Bonus Points: I am an international student in Japan with a prestigious scholarship. 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: One recommendation letter from an influential  figure in my field, two other strong letters from known researchers
Applying to Where:
All PhD

UCLA - EE - Circuits and Embedded Systems

UMich - EECS - Integrated Circuits and VLSI

CMU- ECE - Circuit design for Cyber Physical Systems

UT Austin - ECE - Integrated Circuits and Systems

University of Southern California (USC) - EE -  Integrated Circuits and Systems

UCSD - ECE - Electronic Circuits and Systems

University of Minnesota, Twin Cities - ECE - VLSI and Circuits

Until now I have been interviewed by professors from UCLA, UMN and USC. I have received official admission from the UMN and unofficial one from the USC. The UCLA interview didn't go well and I am not too hopeful about getting in.  

I didn't hear back anything from the other 4 schools . I have been regularly checking the result thread and the forums. It seems that those who got first round offer from UMich, CMU, UT Austin and UCSD have been either already interviewed and/or offered admission. Is there still light of hope or should I give up and consider only the available options? I have sent emails to several profs of these schools, but could not get in touch with faculty of these schools. Also, will you recommend to try again to contact a professor at this stage? In previous years, I have seen some admits in UCSD and UT Austin in March, although I don't know whether that's the norm or they are calling from the waitlist. I would appreciate your thoughts and inputs. 

21 minutes ago, passive said:

Hi, 

I thought I should contribute since I got immensely helped from this site for a long time. 

EE major interested broadly in circuit design and design automation tools.

Undergrad Institution: Top Engineering School in Japan
Major(s): EE
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.9+
Overall GPA: 3.9+
Position in Class: top 2% 

Type of Student: Asian Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 166 (92%)
V: 160 (85%)
W: 4.5 (80%)

TOEFL Total: 114 
Research Experience: I have done my bachelor and master's thesis in electronics. My major research work is my ongoing master's thesis, where I have designed some circuit. The current work would become a paper unless it is a company project. I have also participated in several other projects, where my contribution isn't so profound. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

IEE academic award (Japan), Monbukagakusho Scholarship

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

TA for experiment relevant to my research focus, TA for two other non-related courses, Two short term internships in good Japanese companies but irrelevant to my research interest.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: 

Special Bonus Points: I am an international student in Japan with a prestigious scholarship. 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: One recommendation letter from an influential  figure in my field, two other strong letters from known researchers
Applying to Where:
All PhD

UCLA - EE - Circuits and Embedded Systems

UMich - EECS - Integrated Circuits and VLSI

CMU- ECE - Circuit design for Cyber Physical Systems

UT Austin - ECE - Integrated Circuits and Systems

University of Southern California (USC) - EE -  Integrated Circuits and Systems

UCSD - ECE - Electronic Circuits and Systems

University of Minnesota, Twin Cities - ECE - VLSI and Circuits

Until now I have been interviewed by professors from UCLA, UMN and USC. I have received official admission from the UMN and unofficial one from the USC. The UCLA interview didn't go well and I am not too hopeful about getting in.  

I didn't hear back anything from the other 4 schools . I have been regularly checking the result thread and the forums. It seems that those who got first round offer from UMich, CMU, UT Austin and UCSD have been either already interviewed and/or offered admission. Is there still light of hope or should I give up and consider only the available options? I have sent emails to several profs of these schools, but could not get in touch with faculty of these schools. Also, will you recommend to try again to contact a professor at this stage? In previous years, I have seen some admits in UCSD and UT Austin in March, although I don't know whether that's the norm or they are calling from the waitlist. I would appreciate your thoughts and inputs. 

EE UCLA results are all out. It would be better for you to choose among the available options. Rejections usually come out on Mar or early April.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2016 at 3:09 AM, blackswan13 said:

I recently denied purdue so if you were on waitlist there is still chance :)

Did you they give you the funding details? I just want to know how it compares to my offer from GATech. Thanks!