2016 ChemE PhD Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

percheme

Hey all,

So, I thought it'd be really cool to start a profile/results topic (the EE post inspired this). Fill out the profile application and feel free to post if you're applying for ChemE PhD for Fall 2016!

Undergrad Institution: (School or type of school, such as big state, lib arts, ivy, technical, foreign (what country?))
Major(s):
Minor(s):
GPA in Major:
Overall GPA:
Position in Class: (No numbers needed, but are you top? near top? average? struggling?)
Type of Student: (Domestic/International/International studying at American University, male/female, minority?)

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q:
V:
W:

TOEFL Total: (if applicable, otherwise delete this)

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, etc...)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

School - Department - Research Interest

I guess I'll start....

Undergrad Institution: University in Ohio
Major(s): Chemical Engineering
Minor(s): Chemistry, Mathematics
GPA in Major: 4.00
Overall GPA: 3.93
Position in Class: Within the top 5 
Type of Student: International studying at American University, male, Afro Caribbean

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 162
V: 150
W: 4.5

Research Experience: 

Internship at a biological field station for one month during summer to study sociability and social patterns in juvenile sharks (field research conducting ethograms, hydro-acoustic tracking, statistical software to track infant sharks).

Research at University (2 semesters): Materials/Corrosion research on 3-D printed composites 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Presidents List for 6 semesters (4.00 GPA), Deans List for all 7 semesters

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Freshman engineering classes teaching assistant since beginning of sophomore year

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: AIChE, Tau Beta Pi since junior year, National Society of Black Engineers

Special Bonus Points: Only minority status (Afro-Caribbean, being international hurts me somewhat)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Strong desire to pursue research and learn more about chemical engineering. Additionally, I do have a strong interest in entering academia as I would like to teach as well.

Applying to Where:

All for Chemical Engineering PhD. and all for bio-research

1    University of Michigan
2    Ohio State University
3    Cornell University
4    University of Pittsburgh
5    University of Pennsylvania
6    University of Minnesota
7    University of Notre Dame
8    Ohio University
9    Colorado School of Mines (accepted today!)
10    Vanderbilt University
11    Purdue University
12    Clemson University

5 hours ago, percheme said:

Congratulations!! Those are really good graduate schools for chemical engineering! Best of luck to you throughout the rest of the admission cycle!

Thank you! I wish the best of luck to you as well, although it seems like things are going well already. I'm applying to a mix of ChemE and BioE/BME programs. As the thread for last year's admissions cycle was much more active by this time, I'm surprised there are not more people posting on here and submitting results. Not sure what that means. 

On 12/27/2015 at 11:06 AM, aegis921 said:

Received calls from UC Berkeley and UT Austin a few days after submitting my PhD applications. Great to hear some positive news so early in the admissions cycle! 

Congratulations! I'm applying to UC Berkeley as well and submitted while back so super nervous, would be open to posting your stats?

Thanks!

Hey @akcc2319. Don't worry too much about it right now. It's still super early on in the admissions cycle, and they have a lot more admits to send out. I re-applied this year, but when I applied last year, I was certain I didn't get because a full wave of applicants got in, and the first visiting weekend was fast approaching. But lo and behold, I (very fortunately) ended up getting in. So, it's not over until it's over. Best of luck!

Edited by Argon

Haha very slow day for chemical engineering on the results section (always filled with PhD psychology and biology interviews. Will probably be a slower week for acceptances. Should probably pick up next week.

I'm a little hesitant to post my stats (mostly for privacy reasons, but I might eventually post them?). Mainly scared of a college admissions repeat (acceptance to one dream school... that I could not afford, and at least 3 other waitlists that I can remember of :S). Right now just lurking around on the forums hoping for good news to pop up in my mailbox :P Best of luck to all--hopefully everything will work out!

Hi guys,

I just received PhD offer from University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign. I am kind of surprised. It seems to be very early in the application process to send offers. 

Edited by deborah_caf

@deborah_caf Congrats! I'd say getting an admission in Dec for international students is indeed surprising and certainty early. Last year, my earliest admit was NU which was around Jan 10th. Wish you good luck for the other applications too :) (Where else have you apped? and which IIT are you from?)

My best guess is that there are some more Stanford admits to come. Look at previous years. There is always more than 1-2 admit on Gradcafe. I wouldn't worry about that yet. Many congratulations to the person that was admitted. I'm sure it was much deserved! 

Edited by Argon
update

21 hours ago, doomination said:

I'm not sure how they're doing it this year, but last year they sent an email out first. I wouldn't worry yet!

Hi doomination, what was it like last year? Did Stanford sent out all acceptance emails in one day, or did they continuously send out the emails over the following two weeks? Since you are at Stanford, do you know any information about the admission this year? Thanks!

Last year I think they sent an email out to everyone who got in on the same day. I don't recall anyone getting a phone call until after they received an email.

I don't know anything about how they're doing things this year, but I do know that it varies from year to year as different faculty are on the admissions committee.