Has anyone been accepted to Columbia's Masters in Social Work program with a 3.0 GPA?

Anna9019

I know this topic has been addressed but so far I have not seen a single person say that they have been accepted to this program with 3.0 GPA 

I have relevant experience in my community. Did an internship abroad. Studied abroad. But I also just enrolled in so many classes that weren't part of my major and that ended up lowering my GPA. I took them out of interest and it ended up hurting me.  

So I wanted to know if there was anyone who was accepted to Columbia's MSW program with a 3.0? I don't want to hear about other school. I have read about other schools. I am having serious application anxiety

help!

Edited by Anna9019

Hi Anna, Don't worry, everything will work out! I am in Columbia's MSW program now and know a few people that got in with GPA's under 3. Make sure in your statement that you explain how you can do the work in grad school and maybe point out your major GPA, if that was better than your cumulative. They may put you on semester-long academic probation if they think you need to prove that you can do the work. Best of luck! Let me know if you have any other questions about Columbia! 

On 12/22/2015 at 5:49 PM, Anna9019 said:

I know this topic has been addressed but so far I have not seen a single person say that they have been accepted to this program with 3.0 GPA 

I have relevant experience in my community. Did an internship abroad. Studied abroad. But I also just enrolled in so many classes that weren't part of my major and that ended up lowering my GPA. I took them out of interest and it ended up hurting me.  

So I wanted to know if there was anyone who was accepted to Columbia's MSW program with a 3.0? I don't want to hear about other school. I have read about other schools. I am having serious application anxiety

help!

Also, Columbia is not one of the more selective MSW programs (their acceptance rate is like 70%-ish?).  In fact, a lot of state schools are a lot tougher to get into.  I think you'll be fine. :)

On December 26, 2015 at 4:55 PM, jillchristine said:

Hi Anna, Don't worry, everything will work out! I am in Columbia's MSW program now and know a few people that got in with GPA's under 3. Make sure in your statement that you explain how you can do the work in grad school and maybe point out your major GPA, if that was better than your cumulative. They may put you on semester-long academic probation if they think you need to prove that you can do the work. Best of luck! Let me know if you have any other questions about Columbia! 

Thank you! Ahh I have some hope now. 

Yes, you should be fine as long as you supplement and create a compelling admissions package (essay, recommendations, etc.). I've had friends and former colleagues who received an admission to Columbia, but not at Hunter or other state schools even with a GPA below or around 3.0. Prior to applying for MSW programs, I applied for a masters program at Columbia with a GPA slightly lower than 3.0 and received an admission to Columbia. It was way too expensive even with a small scholarship, so I had to decline. Good luck!

Edited by morningjunky
new info

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey all.... I applied to CSSW for Fall 2013 for my MSW. I was accepted with a 3.204 GPA.. Trust me I was in shock!!!! I graduated May 2015. From my experience, they are very holistic in the application process. So honestly try not to focus so much on the GPA. Hope this helps. 

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, Anna9019 said:

Hi everyone I said I would update you. I was not accepted into Columbia sadly. But I guess it did not hurt to try. :(

Anna, I'm so sorry to hear that. When did you hear back and dos they give you any reason why you were not accepted?

24 minutes ago, Opt4theBest said:

Anna, I'm so sorry to hear that. When did you hear back and dos they give you any reason why you were not accepted?

I heard back on February 26.  They just said they have too many applicants. But my GPA was low so that might be one of the main reasons. 

1 hour ago, Anna9019 said:

I heard back on February 26.  They just said they have too many applicants. But my GPA was low so that might be one of the main reasons. 

I'm proud of you. At least you tried. Cheers to your bravery!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...