The Josef Korbel School of International Studies at the University of Denver

As a student who's participated in similar panels, albeit not at Korbel, I'd like to mention that 1) the students who attend these things are a self-selecting bunch; most of those who haven't enjoyed their experience at School X on the whole are less likely to want to spend hours talking to prospective students in the middle of feverish final-writing; 2) especially in face-to-face encounters, few are willing to voice actual criticism of any aspect of the program because they think, whether rightly or wrongly, that it makes them look bad, that it makes it seem as though they messed up by choosing the school that wasn't best suited for them, or that they should've gotten more out of the experience/for the price. I'm genuinely enjoying my program (again, not at Korbel), I really like my classes, my professors have generally been great, but it never occurred to me to volunteer criticism leveled at my program by my peers, or a vivid description of Process X I found difficult to deal with, or whatever at these events. I was mostly all sunshine and rainbows even without administrators present, though this was generally because I really did like my program. My friends who weren't as thrilled with theirs didn't attend these events, which is why it's useful to get a variety of viewpoints from "anonymous" people online.

That's prolly a valid point - except the same criticism being voiced here was voiced at the panel last year as well as at orientation in 2009. At the former by both current students and administration and the latter by administration. This is not something which is:

A. Being hidden

B. Unacknowledged

I repeat - the likelihood every student will get every single class they want their first term is not high - it's dependent on the class and the rank (graduation date) of the student. This is not something unique to Korbel, but also quite common at most other schools. There was a long report on NPR today about these same problems in the UC system too. I attended a prestigious undergraduate program in New York City and I didn't get every class I wanted every term either. With the increase in graduate applications this year at Korbel (40%) as well as other top-ranked schools this is not something unique at our school.

The school's administration will work with students who feel they're being shut out of popular classes, that's one thing I know for sure because this term, my second at Korbel, I got every class I wanted after working with Student Services to make sure that happened.

Edited by Current Korbel Student

Question for Current Korbel Student:

I was just admitted by Korbel School's Master program and received a 20,000$ scholarship. I really want to attend Korbel, however, I still have some difficulties with paying the rest of the tuition. Is it possible for me to apply for RA/TA now that I am admitted? Are there any other sources of financial aid? I am an international student btw.

Question for Current Korbel Student:

I was just admitted by Korbel School's Master program and received a 20,000$ scholarship. I really want to attend Korbel, however, I still have some difficulties with paying the rest of the tuition. Is it possible for me to apply for RA/TA now that I am admitted? Are there any other sources of financial aid? I am an international student btw.

Hi,

When you use "RA" are you referring to Resident Assistant in the dorms and other housing or Research Assistant at Korbel?

Keep watch on the housing office's RA positions as they're separate from Korbel - if they have open positions, and I know they do from time to time, they'll advertise those separately from the school. As far as Research Assistants - those are hired at the beginning of every academic year and are generally given to second-year students with whom the particular professor are familiar with their work. But it's not unknown for 1st year students to be given them - I know a 1st year who was hired as an RA.

Hit me back if you need further info and I'll also reply privately further once I get guidance on additional financial opportunities from the school.

Thank you for your reply. Let me make myself clear. I was talking about reasearch assitant and any other forms of graduate assistantship at Korbel.Do I have a shot for any of these funding opportunities?

Realistically, no. Very few profs have RAs and if they do the PhD students usually get first dibs.

Thank you for your reply. Let me make myself clear. I was talking about reasearch assitant and any other forms of graduate assistantship at Korbel.Do I have a shot for any of these funding opportunities?

There's always a shot but they usually go to second-year students (NOT Ph.Ds as a chronically misinformed commenter suggested) with whom professors are familiar. As I stated before - I know a first-year who received an RA position but she already had a MA degree, which I believe gave her a leg up. RA positions aren't really that lucrative either.

We'll be in touch on additional funding opportunities as their deadlines come closer. I'd also suggest reaching out to Nicole Villegi directly.

There's always a shot but they usually go to second-year students (NOT Ph.Ds as a chronically misinformed commenter suggested) with whom professors are familiar. As I stated before - I know a first-year who received an RA position but she already had a MA degree, which I believe gave her a leg up. RA positions aren't really that lucrative either.

We'll be in touch on additional funding opportunities as their deadlines come closer. I'd also suggest reaching out to Nicole Villegi directly.

Are you an idiot? How about you go talk to any faculty members at who gets first shot at additional funding for an RA position.

Are you an idiot? How about you go talk to any faculty members at who gets first shot at additional funding for an RA position.

Chill buddy. I think all of these boil down to the fact that it is hard to get any more money in this situation. Thank you for your suggestion.

When I went to school, not at Korbel, students often also had administrative positions within the research centers/career services etc. I'm not sure if it was a work-study, imagine it was. They may have these for you. An admin job within a relevent research center actually seems like a good deal, you get to do your HW while sitting there, and you get to know the faculty. the RA positions were probably 75% phd students

Also, maybe I missed this but 20K is about as good as you can do for these schools. Most everyone else takes out the loans for the balance, which is your decision, and considerably harder even to get loans for int'l students, i'm told. Depending on which school you go to, many have endowed scholarships for students from that country. And many countries sponsor a few students I think.

Yeah, I think the RA thing is going to be tough to pull. There's just not a lot of them as Aunuwyn said. You could potentially apply for one going into your second year (I know they sent out emails last year saying there were some available for this year), and I think they give 10 credits of tuition remission for the quarter. And I don't think international students are eligible for work-study (which is done through FAFSA) unless they're already a permanent resident in the US. I'd suggest that derekwang try and get in touch with DU's International Admissions.

Chill buddy. I think all of these boil down to the fact that it is hard to get any more money in this situation. Thank you for your suggestion.

$20,000 is a nice chunk of change, it's more than 50% of tuition. But I totally understand the need for additional monies and there are resources out there, particularly if you want to live on campus. Reach out to the person you spoke with before in Korbel admissions and stay tuned as the time draws closer where you have to make a decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am, as of 2 hours ago, admitted to both the Korbel School (International Security) and the Sturm College of Law.

I am planning on doing a dual-degree and am curious about whether any of the current students know any dual-degree students in their cohort. I would really like the opportunity to talk with someone who has themselves gone this route.

Hi,

I am, as of 2 hours ago, admitted to both the Korbel School (International Security) and the Sturm College of Law.

I am planning on doing a dual-degree and am curious about whether any of the current students know any dual-degree students in their cohort. I would really like the opportunity to talk with someone who has themselves gone this route.

I know people who went this route. They seemed to like it. The only thing that might be a PITA is how classes work, given that the law school is on a semester system whereas the rest of DU (including Korbel) is on the quarter system. I was originally under the impression that you did a year at Korbel then did the law curriculum, but it seemed like it was more mixed to me after talking to some people...

Hi there!

I had a question regarding offers of admission to Korbel. I applied for Fall 2010 (by the priority deadline) and haven't yet heard anything via e-mail (apart from the e-mail notifying me that my application was being processed). I just logged onto the website to see if there was any update in the "Decision" section, but it continues to read NOT AVAILABLE (as it has since day one). However, at the bottom of the page, there are two buttons that read ACCEPT OFFER OF ADMISSION and DECLINE OFFER OF ADMISSION. Again, I understand that Korbel notifies accepted applicants via e-mail and I haven't received any e-mails from admissions. I'm reluctant to click on the ACCEPT button because I'm not sure what doing so would entail..

So I guess my question is whether it seems like I've been offered admission or not? Is it rare for this type of update (w/out changing the status on the Decision line, that is)??

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi there!

I had a question regarding offers of admission to Korbel. I applied for Fall 2010 (by the priority deadline) and haven't yet heard anything via e-mail (apart from the e-mail notifying me that my application was being processed). I just logged onto the website to see if there was any update in the "Decision" section, but it continues to read NOT AVAILABLE (as it has since day one). However, at the bottom of the page, there are two buttons that read ACCEPT OFFER OF ADMISSION and DECLINE OFFER OF ADMISSION. Again, I understand that Korbel notifies accepted applicants via e-mail and I haven't received any e-mails from admissions. I'm reluctant to click on the ACCEPT button because I'm not sure what doing so would entail..

So I guess my question is whether it seems like I've been offered admission or not? Is it rare for this type of update (w/out changing the status on the Decision line, that is)??

Yeah, I have the exact same thing on my application status page too.

Hi there!

Checking on this now. I will post a response as soon as I get it. Thanks for letting us know.

Thanks so much, really appreciate it!

Direct from Admissions, for you :-)

“I’ve got some good news and some bad news. The good news is that you’ve been admitted to the Josef Korbel School. The bad news is that you found out about your admission before we were able to tell you!:) Due to the massive amounts of applications received thus far, we’ve fallen a few days behind on getting the admissions word out. If you have any questions about your admission, please feel free to call the admissions office. Congrats!”

All I have to say it - word. I hope you join our school this fall. And congrats :-)

Yeah, I have the exact same thing on my application status page too.

And for you - the same thing my friend, direct from admissions:

“I’ve got some good news and some bad news. The good news is that you’ve been admitted to the Josef Korbel School. The bad news is that you found out about your admission before we were able to tell you!:) Due to the massive amounts of applications received thus far, we’ve fallen a few days behind on getting the admissions word out. If you have any questions about your admission, please feel free to call the admissions office. Congrats!”

As I said to the other applicant - word. I hope you join us this fall. And congrats :-)