Munk School, NPSIA, BSIA 2016

blaffy78

• 2 weeks later...

I've also applied to NPSIA as well as GSPIA. Didn't apply to Munk or BSIA though, neither seemed quite in line with my research interests. Definitely nervous about how competitive the programs might be though!

So glad this discussion thread was made! I applied to NPSIA, both programs at BSIA, and Concordia's MPPPA program (As a backup). Is anyone comfortable with sharing stats? 

ahh for me, i'm in grad school for an MA in history (focus on the Middle East), average around 83% give or take, some decent extracurriculars like being a TA, contributor to student newspaper, and member of graduate students' association...how about you guys?

I finished an Undergrad in Criminology, cGPA of 4.05/4.3, strong LoR's, Undergrad Thesis + Conference Presentation - however no strong policy volunteer/job experiences, or background in economics. 

1) Balsillie (either program)
2) NPSIA 
3) Concordia 

How about you?

I did an honours BA in political science and history (first class), GPA around 3.8/4.0 (depends how they convert), probably good LoRs, some decent extracurriculars (mostly partisan politics), hopefully good Personal Statements?

1) UOttawa GSPIA
2) NPSIA
3) Munk (decided to apply at the last minute)

Sent my Munk application in the day it was due. Started the statements the day of as well! It really was a "I should really just apply to this program and see what happens" moment.

Have also applied to GSPIA, and a couple European schools (SciencesPo and Prague). Not sure what to make of my chances... after converting my percentage grades to UofT's GPA, I hover around a 3.6-3.7? I do have two years exp. living abroad and working in S. Korea (although not in the field), but hopefully that helps.

Good luck to everyone !

7 hours ago, LiamShag said:

Sent my Munk application in the day it was due. Started the statements the day of as well! It really was a "I should really just apply to this program and see what happens" moment.

Glad I'm not the only one who decided to apply to Munk last minute! My references weren't impressed.

References? Or Acceptances? If the latter, then usually around mid March. 

From what I've heard, the odds of receiving substantial funding at Munk is very limited - students who receive a scholarship do so around $2-7k. NPSIA really depends, I've heard students receiving anywhere from 2k-14k. A wide range there, lol. 

I remember reading somewhere that Munk receives approx. 300-350 applications? Maybe more - take this with a grain of salt. 
Munk accepts around 80 students. Not sure about NPSIA. 

On 2/1/2016 at 0:36 PM, blaffy78 said:

damn guys, i'm pretty nervous

what're your career plans for after? anyone considering a phd or going down to the states? or something else

Hopefully work in an IO that deals in armed conflict prevention, but I might work in the Fed Gov right after just to stabilize. Hbu?

Finished my undergrad in Global Studies in 2014 and applied to Munk and BSIA for Global Governance for this fall. My GPA is towards the lower end (79) but I have a bunch of international volunteer experiences, job experience with the federal government, and two great references from tenured professors. Hopefully that's enough, fingers crossed!