Who's submitted their grad apps already?

tepidtenacity

Definitely not me. I'm struggling to finish them before the deadline, and every single program description screams "We do rolling apps! We start filling spots immediately!", which makes me worry how many people have already submitted their apps, and how many spots there are left.

omg rolling apps? ive never heard of this

how scary. ahhhhh. im mailing mine out the week of the 15th. so they are out of my mind and will stop interfering with my schoolwork!

I've never heard of rolling app for grad school. Isn't it an undergrad thing?

No, it's actually fairly common. 3 of my 9 applications are rolling admissions officially. A lot of other schools have a sort of informal rolling admissions process, in that they'll evaluate the applications as they come in, and make a Definitely pile. So even if it's not rolling apps, you still need to get stuff there in advance of the deadline unless you want all the spots to be given away by the time you apply.

Definitely not me. I'm struggling to finish them before the deadline, and every single program description screams "We do rolling apps! We start filling spots immediately!", which makes me worry how many people have already submitted their apps, and how many spots there are left.

Stop pressuring me!

I have two in so far. The one I submitted last week was for a January 7 deadline. I have three applications due on January 15 and I'm hoping to have those all in by November 15 at the latest.

I have all of mine in, except for one that doesn't open until tomorrow. By having mine in, I mean everything is turned in including my LORs. One of my schools says it does rolling apps, but looking at when students get accepted, it still seems like people only get accepted in Marchish. I just wanted to get my stuff in soon as a sort of out of sight out of mind attempt. It has actually worked ok to relieve some stress since I know there is nothing I can do for a while.

I prioritized by due date and how badly I wanted in. My top apps are completely done as of two weeks ago. My earliest deadline was tomorrow though. The other batch go out next week. Had to wait until payday! This is expensive.

I'm doing the Masters applications first as they are easier (don't require a formal statement of purpose or a terribly relevant writing sample), and have a LOT of work yet to do on my PhD applications. I need to individualize my SOP for each department, and to reduce the length of my writing sample by half (!!). I also need to send my GRE scores but that won't take more than a few minutes I hope. This process drives me crazy because there are so many little things to do! I envy those of you who have finished or are near finishing.

Yes, the multiple steps times number of colleges is maddening.

A couple of weeks ago, my LOR asked for a packet containing everything she needed to know about where she was sending the letters. So in order to get that info for some schools, I needed to log in to my account. For some of them, I hadn't started the account yet, so I had to create accounts. Then while I was there, I figured I should get as far into the application process as I could. At this point, I have six undergraduate schools, so when I got to that page, I was searching for six schools. Times 8 applications. And then finding the info and printing it up for her, along with pre-addressed envelopes. And then during that same weekend I decided to contact professors. Of course, even though I have looked at that info in the past, I couldn't remember who I was writing to, so I was looking up all that info again, wading through faculty lists. And then, oh yeah, I should have read something from each one before I contact them. AAAHHHH!!

Needless to say, I am nowhere near done with any of my apps.

I finished all mine (14 PhD apps) last weekend. Deadlines are mostly Dec. 1st, some are Dec. 15th and a few are Jan/Feb. I started working on these in June and wanted to get them done the first weekend in Oct. I didn't make it but it was close enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish! I have to retake the GRE on the 18th (next Wednesday) and then wait for the scores to come in before I can submit my apps.

Don't miss your deadline if your score doesn't come in on time!!!! Most schools are understanding with late score report. If your score doesn't come in before your deadline call the department to see if you can submit your application and report your score as soon as you receive them.

I'm wondering if those of you who have already submitted applications can clarify something about the online application process for me. Do I have to submit my statement of purpose before the system allows me to send LOR requests to my professors? I'm looking at the UC Berkeley application steps right now and that looks like the case. I'm nowhere near done with my SOP and Personal History Statement, so if that is the case I will just request hard copies of LORs the old fashioned way, but I'm hoping it's not.

I'm wondering if those of you who have already submitted applications can clarify something about the online application process for me. Do I have to submit my statement of purpose before the system allows me to send LOR requests to my professors? I'm looking at the UC Berkeley application steps right now and that looks like the case. I'm nowhere near done with my SOP and Personal History Statement, so if that is the case I will just request hard copies of LORs the old fashioned way, but I'm hoping it's not.

Not usually, no. Neither Embark nor ApplyYourself systems should require this, at least.

I've been struggling with when I should turn in my apps.

I'm only applying to two programs, due to the very specialized nature of my degree there are only 4 programs of interest and my alternative to graduate school trumps the other two programs. Either way, one is due on January 15th and the other on March 1st.

I spoke to admissions for the March 1st deadline and they told me that they do not have rolling admissions and they will not begin to evaluate the applications until after the March 1st deadline, however the FAQ section of the program says that they accept students as long as there is space, which makes me think that perhaps they evaluate the applications in order that they are received? What do you guys think?

Either way I was shooting to have the march 1st app turned in by January or February. I wanted to have these fall term grades finalized to be able to include my raised GPA in the application, and I also wanted some leeway to here back about a conference I'm presenting at.

As for the January 15th deadline, when should I turn that in??? December?? November??

Two of my apps are like this. I had to submit them early so the recommendation requests could go out to my writers. They were for UC schools.

Pardon me, but WHAT THE FUCK???

My applications for MPP/MPA/Masters in IR weren't even AVAILABLE until late August. None of my schools make any mention of rolling deadlines, and there's just no way that I could have gotten apps for ten schools together 2 months early as Donald Asher's fucking book recommends.

Maybe if the apps were available in June...

But now I'm tempted to email the seven schools to which I'm applying with January deadlines to clarify whether they admit on a rolling basis or after all the apps are received after the deadline.

I'm taking GRE on the 18th and once I cross that hurdle, I plan to get the rest done by Dec 1st (app, SOP, resume, emails for LORs entered). I have transcripts from 2/3 schools (its a self collect process) and the 3rd school sent email conf, so that should come any day. I will probably make an appt to tour the dept around mid Dec and hand deliver my portion of the app at that point. That's for choice #1 that has a deadline of 1/15. Once that one is in, I'll send everything to choice #2 which has a 2/5 deadline and seems less intensive of a process.

I thought we enter the school code for the GRE and they get the report automatically from ETS, no?

Edited by Jennszoo

You can ask to have scores submitted to up to 4 schools when you take the GRE. If you are applying to more places, you have to call or go onto the ETS website to get your scores sent to the additional schools, at $20 per school. Your score report should say which schools you selected on test day (I forgot after taking the test which schools I had selected before the test, so that was helpful).

I'm pretty much done with all my applications. Submitted everything online, just need to mail things to 2 schools (UC Santa Barbara and Texas A&M). The materials are just sitting in my car, I just need to go to the post office to have it mailed. Right now, I'm just waiting for all my LORs to be submitted which is more stressful to me than anything since someone else is in control of that.

Nope. I sent emails to my LOR writers through the Berkeley app without having uploaded either of my essays, which I'm still working on.

To answer the original question of this thread, I've submitted 3/10 apps--at least the online part--but still need to send the packages of supporting documents.

Just a note to everyone who has to mail stuff: don't forget the post offices get insane around the holidays, so if you're waiting until December to mail your apps, expect long lines. Ugh.

I'm not submitting my applications until days before the deadline. I'm "done" with most of my essays, but I ended up changing them a bit after finishing my NSF GRF application, so I figure sitting on them for as long as possible can only help me polish them.