Who's submitted their grad apps already?

tepidtenacity

Actually, I have a question that's related to this: I took the GRE and got pretty mediocre scores (1090), but the rest of my application is pretty good. I'm retaking the GRE next week, but if I get the scores this week, can I go ahead and get my apps in with the old score or should I wait?

The professor writing my third and final LoR finally submitted them today; so now I'm totally done with 7/10 applications. I'm just waiting on the second professor for three schools (Wisconsin, Berkeley, and Johns Hopkins), since all of my supplemental materials have been submitted.

Application deadlines: earliest is December 1st (top choice school), latest is January 1st, most are in middle December. I just wanted to get them DONE and over with.

Unfortunately (for me), I'll have to submit my application for Rutgers than I'd like (and what i mean to say is that I'd like to submit any and all of my apps as late as I feel is possible because then I won't e kicking myself about something I wish I had written or done differently and could have had a chance to change but can't because i submitted it way ahead of the deadline).

it seems Rutgers won't let my LOR writers see the forms they need to complete and submit until after I have completed and submitted my portion of the application. it's really frustrating and stress-inducing! so i can't believe there might be some who have submitted their apps super early because they just wanted to. that's some bravery!!

Unfortunately (for me), I'll have to submit my application for Rutgers than I'd like (and what i mean to say is that I'd like to submit any and all of my apps as late as I feel is possible because then I won't e kicking myself about something I wish I had written or done differently and could have had a chance to change but can't because i submitted it way ahead of the deadline).

it seems Rutgers won't let my LOR writers see the forms they need to complete and submit until after I have completed and submitted my portion of the application. it's really frustrating and stress-inducing! so i can't believe there might be some who have submitted their apps super early because they just wanted to. that's some bravery!!

University of Denver is like that- LOR writers can't submit anything until the online application (including SOP) is submitted. Needless to say, that pushed Denver to the top of my to-do list. I just submitted it last week. Of course, now my recommenders are saying they can't get the online LOR system to work... :unsure:

I'm the opposite of you- if I keep my essays around for months I'll nitpick and change things and end up actually making them worse. Plus, I don't usually agonize over things after it's out of my control. So my goal is to get them submitted ASAP, and it looks like that'll happen by next weekend! Yay!

As far as I can tell, from my own application-migraine experience and asking around with grad students I know who have done this dance two or three times, submitting earlier is best. Firstly, there's the the whole not-officially-rolling-admissions "definitely" pile thing that several people have mentioned. But just as importantly, in my opinion, you just have to recognize that at some point, you're going to HAVE to let go and resign control of the application to the review committee. My advice is to get it in soon and try your best to relax at LEAST until January...probably more like March (I heard back from all 7 of the schools I applied to last round in March). As for this year, I am waiting for my copy of GRE scores, which should be in next week, running through my statement drafts one last time, and then sending that puppy in and not looking back. It's hard to let go after you hit the "submit" button, but the fact of the matter is, if you're the kind of person that worries that you should have changed *one* more word, you're probably going to feel that way no matter HOW many drafts you finish. Clearly you're putting a lot of work into polishing your app; give yourself some credit! As one of my professors reminded me last year, no one on the admit committee is going to lose sleep over this. No one is a harsher critic of your application than yourself.

I've submitted all but one (see my signature). I just got an offer from my top choice though, so I'm not sure I'll bother with the last one.

I'm with you piccgeek! I can't decide between medical-based programs, social work programs or literature and creative writing.

Edited by TerriM

I've submitted all but one (see my signature). I just got an offer from my top choice though, so I'm not sure I'll bother with the last one.

I'm with you piccgeek! I can't decide between medical-based programs, social work programs or literature and creative writing.

you've already heard back from a school you've just applied to? and it was about an admissions decision? wow. when is/was the application deadline and do their other programs let admitted/rejected students know this early?

you've already heard back from a school you've just applied to? and it was about an admissions decision? wow. when is/was the application deadline and do their other programs let admitted/rejected students know this early?

Programs with rolling admissions tend to respond with a decision within 4-6 weeks. Those without rolling admissions tend to respond sometime in March.

I sent all of my applications out at the beginning of October. I was expecting to hear back from the University of Sussex this month since their website says they make a decision within a month. I'm just as surprised as you are about Columbia, though! Their application deadline is January 15th and their website says they don't review applications until after March 1st. Needless to say, I was pretty shocked to see an acceptance letter in my inbox on Thursday.

Still barely started my Dec. 1st deadline apps! That's how I roll-- hopefully I won't get dinged by the "technically-not-rolling" admissions policies. The hell of corralling LOR writers has been much more than I expected (despite wonderful enthusiasm and generosity). I've been giving myself excuses not to work on my SoP (how can you work on it until you have the meeting with adviser x?) and, well, I figure the actual applications will only take a couple hours each. I also figure once I've submitted all my Dec. 1 apps, the rest will be easy because the LoR is in, the SoP needs only slight modification, and the GRE scores are all set. The only thing I'm concerned about is the schools that have a separate "Personal Statement" and "Statement of Purpose/Research Proposal." Oh well, I've scraped by for 24 years doing stuff last minute, and it's gotten me this far...

• 2 months later...