WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

Agh the 21+ thing used to drive me up the wall at camp. I could legally drink at home (UK) but not at camp. Anyway, end age rant, start waiting and wine rant.

I have a beautiful cabernet sauvignon that is almost too nice to open but i'm currently in an email war over scheduling a skype interview so it may have to be opened soon. 

I counted how many days I have to wait until the program I applied to said they generally send out notifications. Then I counted how many business days. Then I thought of all the work I could do on my house on the weekends to distract me until that date. Then I decided to train for a 5K. I'm reading two different trashy novels right now, doing some hardcore clockwatching, and trying to beat my best score on Alto's Adventure.

Like, the next few weeks are going to be PAINFUL. I almost don't even care if I get in, I just hate not knowing yet.

(That's a lie. I care if I get in.)

@interdisciplinarian I get it. I got up at 6.30 to go to the gym this morning, then I stayed on campus til 4 working/studying for exams, came home binge watched some anime, read my book, made a short movie for my boyfriend (I just realised how that sounds - it's a puppet animation not anything dodgy) and I've still checked my emails and application stats too much. I think there might be some master-chef style cooking going on this month! 

4 minutes ago, 123hardasABC said:

I can't say the words "Pinot Noir" without thinking of Titus Andromedon....

About halfway through that last part, I was thinking, "cool Shakespeare reference, but what even does pinot noir have to do with Titus Andronicus?" But then I got to the end, and: also an A+ reference.

@piglet33 I tried that Cabernet and had an immediate visceral reaction. Subsequent reds I've tried have been the same--reactionary puking feeling. Reds aren't sweet enough for me, I stick to white moscatos. I think I have an "allergy" (or whatever the proper term is) to red wines. However, I do like Roscato. Red, sweet, doesn't make me feel like I'm going to die.  Fave white is Butterfly Kiss' moscato, I want to try Moscati d'asti next. 

I've watched everything on Netflix. Literally. I have nothing to occupy myself with anymore. 

On the actual wine topic though--I've been lucky enough to have a French (because obviously that automatically makes for good taste in wine /s [though true in this case]) friend of my dad's introduce me to some good ones lately (mostly Malbecs). Always makes me sad when I get back home and remember that I can only afford a 5$ bottle, haha. 

Also, I was definitely having a waiting whine and wine moment yesterday, realized I was out, and got to the store before remembering that (1) it was sunday and (2) it's still [how, really, seriously, I don't get it] illegal in my whole state to buy alcohol on Sunday. (yet another plus in the "heading off to grad school" column, even though I'll miss it here for sure). Today was a better day, though.

I can't drink any alcohol (too many stomach problems), but I'm spending my time waiting by working, completing my research project, getting ready for a conference, and watching too much Netflix. 

@haltheincandescentI thought it was normal for stores (at least grocery stores/supper markets) not to sell alcohol on Sundays. I like it that way (but don't have strong feelings on it), but I'm also not a "drinker". I can count on 2 hands how many drinks I've had in my life (ok, maybe 3 hands :p). 

I actually never have tried wine before. I always think about it but I always forget ha. If I'm staying in I like mike's hard lemonade brand. But if I'm out, I usually get a martini. I'm a huge light weight though so I usually just drink one or two drinks.As of right now I'm watching random shows, reading all my books, and being happy that my boyfriend is back from Alaska. I have to deal with administrative stuff so that has been keeping me busy unfortunately. Also avoiding the fact I have to take physics this semester...

I need a hobby...unfortunately, hobbies that don't involve people just make me think more, and I'm so much of an introvert that I struggle to find friends to engage in a communal hobby with.

I have taken up a random appreciation of wildlife documentaries on parrots. And cats. I can't drink alcohol, though the combination of wildlife documentaries and getting drunk sounds interesting and someone who can drink alcohol should try it.

Back to agonising and dreaming about my applications...

5 hours ago, artsy16 said:

@haltheincandescentI thought it was normal for stores (at least grocery stores/supper markets) not to sell alcohol on Sundays. I like it that way (but don't have strong feelings on it), but I'm also not a "drinker". I can count on 2 hands how many drinks I've had in my life (ok, maybe 3 hands :p). 

Man I'd hate to live someplace where you can't buy alcohol 7 days a week.  I'm quite the fan of wine, hard cider, and now hard root beer.  As for how I'm dealing with all this waiting?  I'm watching way too much tv, working, catching up with friends, trying to get back in shape, and tackling that list of things that need to be taken care of in order for me to relocate if this application season goes well.

15 hours ago, EccentricAcademic said:

I can't drink alcohol, though the combination of wildlife documentaries and getting drunk sounds interesting and someone who can drink alcohol should try it.

Does Sharknado count as a wildlife documentary? In which case, I can absolutely recommend this particular movie+alcohol combination.

19 hours ago, artsy16 said:

I live in Pennsylvania which has strict alcohol laws. You can only buy wine and liquor from state-owned stores here, and very few supermarkets carry beer and have to have a special license to do so. One mainly gets beer from beer distributors and some restaurants that sell 6-packs. So, the thought of alcohol in supermarkets is mind-blowing to me! 

As for the thread, I'm more of a beer person than a wine person, but I do enjoy Moscato. 

Also, the waiting game is awful *whines*

1 hour ago, gingin6789 said:

I live in Pennsylvania which has strict alcohol laws. You can only buy wine and liquor from state-owned stores here, and very few supermarkets carry beer and have to have a special license to do so. One mainly gets beer from beer distributors and some restaurants that sell 6-packs. So, the thought of alcohol in supermarkets is mind-blowing to me! 

As for the thread, I'm more of a beer person than a wine person, but I do enjoy Moscato. 

Also, the waiting game is awful *whines*

ugh. though at least they could argue some sort of at least vaguely understandable regulatory basis for a law like that, instead of, almost literally "you can't buy that on sunday! you're supposed to be in church on sunday!

Also: I'm going to walk the middle line, and say I'm mostly cider drinker. Beers and wines are good, but nothing like a cider. Fruitier ones in the spring/summer, maple-y ones in the fall/winter. Yum!

Edited by haltheincandescent

Whining time:

When you turned in your applications way before the deadline (Nov. 13 for a Jan. 7 deadline) and so you know that it's going to be ages before you hear back, you're going to have a bad time.

I had to turn everything in early for this program so that I could prompt my LOR writers to submit their letters in enough time. I keep checking my email, even though there is absolutely no way I'll hear anything for a while.

Silver lining: At least I know they've received all of my documentation?

My favorite wine is Cabernet, but I much prefer to drink beer. Any wheat ale is my favorite!