WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

2 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Yeah I found it very odd how someone can think that low of a program yet they still applied? To me these people are the worst ha. So far no one has been insufferable in museum studies related posts. Then again there have been only 4-6 haha

I'm the only OU history of science, the only STS Drexel, and the only Pop C BGSU.

I think I applied to some weird, tiny programs I guess. :D 

1 minute ago, Neist said:

I'm the only OU history of science, the only STS Drexel, and the only Pop C BGSU.

I think I applied to some weird, tiny programs I guess. :D 

Same here I guess! I would be the first to post for IUPUI, and Texas Tech for museum studies programs. Well I hope to be the first acceptance post.

Just now, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Same here I guess! I would be the first to post for IUPUI, and Texas Tech for museum studies programs. Well I hope to be the first acceptance post.

I hope you are too! :D 

I'm even suspicious of the Cornell STS result, but that might just root from denial. There's a lot of us pining for Cornell STS, and the result popped up the very afternoon I was widely advertising it might. No one has claimed the acceptance, and there was no comments in the result post. 

It's just a bit weird no one has claimed it. Someone should be over the moon, but there's nothing but silence. But, like I said, might be denial on my part. :P 

Just now, Neist said:

I hope you are too! :D 

I'm even suspicious of the Cornell STS result, but that might just root from denial. There's a lot of us pining for Cornell STS, and the result popped up the very afternoon I was widely advertising it might. No one has claimed the acceptance, and there was no comments in the result post. 

It's just a bit weird no one has claimed it. Someone should be over the moon, but there's nothing but silence. But, like I said, might be denial on my part. :P 

I feel the same way about that university of kansas post. There were no details either. But I'm a paranoid person, thats why I refuse to watch final destination movies. I wouldn't be able to leave the house afterwards haha

9 hours ago, Neist said:

Maybe I'm just getting paranoid, but has anyone ever wondered if individuals post results merely to screw with people's emotions?

Time to get my tinfoil hat.

I definitely think there are some trolls. Probably not a lot, but definitely some.

8 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Has anyone seen the nyu post with media and culture? Talk about misplaced aggression.

Why waste the $100 on the application fee if you're going to reject the acceptance with such vitriol? Some ridiculous vendetta against NYU?

6 hours ago, raaawr said:

@Pink Fuzzy BunnyLol! Yes! Haha! That show is about as much as I know about physics besides high school physics. Lol. It just reminded me of you haha. Is what you do in physics similar to what Leonard, raj, and Sheldon do?

I wish :) They do theoretical astrophysics, I do atomic physics sadly. BUT all of the physics they do on the show is based off recent discoveries. For instance, the whole "viscosity of the universe" thought was based off research done at the University of Nebraska, and the stuff they wrote on their white board was from the recently-published paper. Can confirm I have the social skills of Sheldon though :D

17 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I wish :) They do theoretical astrophysics, I do atomic physics sadly. BUT all of the physics they do on the show is based off recent discoveries. For instance, the whole "viscosity of the universe" thought was based off research done at the University of Nebraska, and the stuff they wrote on their white board was from the recently-published paper. Can confirm I have the social skills of Sheldon though :D

Lol!What do you do in atomic physics? :) 

6 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

@Neist I saw a post on the results page for Renneslear (sp?) and got really excited for you, then realised it was in Electronic Arts (and I don't think that's your area right?)

Nope! Thanks for the thoughts, either way. :) 

Another week begins, and it's the last week of February. Here's hoping it's a good one!

Okay, so I am making big assumptions based on a variety of info that I will hear something today. I also think it may be a rejection, if the results board is to be believed. What I'm dearly hoping for is that internal applicants (those in the program's MA) got a wave of early notifications, and that external folks are being told today, that I may still have a shot. But if I hear nothing or get rejected...oh, my gosh. I'm queasy and verklempt, people.

Reasons a rejection would be good:

- No more Februgatory, waiting and wondering;

- I have this sweet new poster I want to frame and hang up somewhere, and I can finally put it in my current office if I know I'll be here another year;

- I can look at short-term graduate certificates;

- I know I'll have two new preps to teach next year if I stay where I am, both of which are cool classes;

- Spouse and I won't have to suddenly sell our house but can do it in a more leisurely fashion;

- I am feeding two outdoor cats that I'm trying to rescue for TNR, and if I'm not going anywhere I might be able to keep one;

- I can literally think of nothing else. I'm so depressed, you guys.

18 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Okay, so I am making big assumptions based on a variety of info that I will hear something today. I also think it may be a rejection, if the results board is to be believed. What I'm dearly hoping for is that internal applicants (those in the program's MA) got a wave of early notifications, and that external folks are being told today, that I may still have a shot. But if I hear nothing or get rejected...oh, my gosh. I'm queasy and verklempt, people.

Reasons a rejection would be good:

- No more Februgatory, waiting and wondering;

- I have this sweet new poster I want to frame and hang up somewhere, and I can finally put it in my current office if I know I'll be here another year;

- I can look at short-term graduate certificates;

- I know I'll have two new preps to teach next year if I stay where I am, both of which are cool classes;

- Spouse and I won't have to suddenly sell our house but can do it in a more leisurely fashion;

- I am feeding two outdoor cats that I'm trying to rescue for TNR, and if I'm not going anywhere I might be able to keep one;

- I can literally think of nothing else. I'm so depressed, you guys.

More good things:

- Rejection is a great way to justify eating whatever you want. Like, a full carton of ice cream. Or a pizza. Or maybe AND a pizza. :D

- You can try again next time, and you will know that you can handle the process going into it.

- Rejection is not a judgement on your value as a human being!

Also, I colored my hair pink. 

4 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

More good things:

- Rejection is a great way to justify eating whatever you want. Like, a full carton of ice cream. Or a pizza. Or maybe AND a pizza. :D

- You can try again next time, and you will know that you can handle the process going into it.

- Rejection is not a judgement on your value as a human being!

Also, I colored my hair pink. 

Thank you, @FoxAndChicken, those are all very good things to keep in mind. I won't feel rejected as a human being, I know. I'm a creative writer, so rejection is part and parcel and doesn't really faze me and I realize can be due to a variety of things out of my control. A lot of it is that I've been at the same job for a decade and I'm going to be sadder about having to stay than sad that I got rejected from this program, per se.

Maybe I'll color my hair pink to celebrate my rejection when it comes. ;)

Just now, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Thank you, @FoxAndChicken, those are all very good things to keep in mind. I won't feel rejected as a human being, I know. I'm a creative writer, so rejection is part and parcel and doesn't really faze me and I realize can be due to a variety of things out of my control. A lot of it is that I've been at the same job for a decade and I'm going to be sadder about having to stay than sad that I got rejected from this program, per se.

Maybe I'll color my hair pink to celebrate my rejection when it comes. ;)

Actually, that sounds like a fantastic idea! Trying something new in another part of your life may be a good way to get your mind off of the monotony of another part. 

On 2/19/2016 at 2:52 PM, Cat_Robutt said:

I just got accepted into my top choice school!!!! I'm moving to Pennsylvania in the Fall! Thank you all for keeping me sane during this process. Finally, after several years of trying to get into a PhD program, I finally have. 

Congratulations @Cat_Robutt!!!  I'm so happy for you!  *Happy Dance!*  You'll be my neighbor, I'm in MD.  :D

It's the best feeling in the world when you get accepted to your top choice program, isn't it?  After all the hard work and waiting, it feels so good.  I'm so excited to start this fall!!!

Good luck to @Neist, and everyone else who's still waiting to hear back from their top choice schools!

4 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

Pink hair! Mine was blue for my penn state interview and purple for ucr and illinois. 

Hair is such an easy way to brighten up your day! The worst that could ever happen is you have to grow it out again

"Easy" :P It took about 13 hours to get my hair where it is. But that's also because we went from brown to platinum to pink. But this is definitely the kind of hair I'd only do with shortish hair (because I don't mind growing this out if I hate it. But I totes love it!)

2 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

"Easy" :P It took about 13 hours to get my hair where it is. But that's also because we went from brown to platinum to pink. But this is definitely the kind of hair I'd only do with shortish hair (because I don't mind growing this out if I hate it. But I totes love it!)

OMG I want pictures!  Your hair sounds awesome!!!  I'm too much in love with my natural color to ever dye it, but I am thinking of getting it styled differently before the wedding.  It's just long and uneven right now!

My hair is already bleached platinum, so adding some wacky colors would be super easy. Plus it's shortish, so yeah, grow-out is not a big.

I think I might try some temporary hair chalks first and see what colors I like. ^_^ I'm doing a fiction writers' convention next month, and that would be a fun weekend to do something wackadoo and a little punk rock. :D

I'm feeling better and better about my inevitable rejection notice, thinking of all kinds of fun hair things. Yes. This is totally a fine substitution for the furthering of my career. *dissolves into sobbing again*

7 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

Dont i know it! I had to bleach mine first too! And i def frued it the first time so i had to start over last year. 

Ive lived, ive learned

1 minute ago, SLPgradstudent said:

OMG I want pictures!  Your hair sounds awesome!!!  I'm too much in love with my natural color to ever dye it, but I am thinking of getting it styled differently before the wedding.  It's just long and uneven right now!

I don't have great pictures yet, but I took this one while I was drying it and it makes me look way emo-er than I could ever possibly achieve in real life. 12715719_10201438295556377_6632452169291 And here is a selfie I took at work this morning with it styled:fVbTSij.jpg I usually wear significantly more makeup but I got home from my 13 hour hair appointment at roughly 5AM and had to be at work at 9AM, so I was sleeping and not doing my makeup. 

1 minute ago, FoxAndChicken said:

I don't have great pictures yet, but I took this one while I was drying it and it makes me look way emo-er than I could ever possibly achieve in real life. 12715719_10201438295556377_6632452169291 And here is a selfie I took at work this morning with it styled:fVbTSij.jpg I usually wear significantly more makeup but I got home from my 13 hour hair appointment at roughly 5AM and had to be at work at 9AM, so I was sleeping and not doing my makeup. 

I love it!!!  And I never wear make-up, so whatevs.  :P

You look awesome just as you are!  I love your necklace too!

6 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

Damn girl I love your hair! I'm with @SLPgradstudent I am not a makeup person. Occasionally I'll wear it for interviews and big events but day to day - no way. Too much effort with gymming daily and swimming. Not too sure about grad school attire in the US now, because at my current school it's totally fine to wear gym kit (and I do, regularly). Even lecturers bum around in sweats and hoodies and beanies (yes seriously). Yet I hear you gotta look put together day to day in most US programs. Yikes. I mean if I'm in jeans and uggs I've made an effort....sorry getting side-tracked, procrastinating a huge piece of coursework.