WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

50 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

ne'er a truer word said! 

It's the only country where I've been made to feel like a criminal entering. (I'm not!) They dislike people who've travelled. It's nuts! 

that is so true!! but i'm kind of used to how scary it is. lol

23 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Liquid eyeliner is the bane of my existence. I feel like I have to apply it sitting down, it stresses me out so much. I love doing cat eyes when I have the time and the steady hand for it, and they look amazing, but that is just a heckuva lot of patience. By nature, I am an extremely high strung person (in case that wasn't obvious). You folks with the talent for it get my kudos. :)

We are now at midday. I am losing hope by the minute that I will hear even this week. I'm sure there is a thin rejection letter all neatly folded, addressed, and sitting in the outgoing mail at the department office as we speak. Oh, poor little letter, innocent letterhead paper, it isn't your fault. I shall try to resist burning you when you finally arrive. *sniffle*

did you only apply to 1 school as well? i'm kind of losing hope as well on ever receiving an interview letter. lol. 

try gel liner! in my opinion, it's easier to fix mistakes with gel than liquid cause it doesn't smear so quickly. :)

1 hour ago, raaawr said:

what's your current hair color? lol. my dad has been telling me to go back to my natural color every time we see each other and he told me i might have problems at the airport with my current color but i'm enjoying my pink hair so much. i'm thinking of dyeing it galaxy hair though. i was just waiting for an interview before i dye it again but it looks like i wont get one so i probably would be dyeing it soon. lol! 

I have people ask me on a semi regular basis if my hair is dyed. Its brown. Dark brown. Its my natural color. And for some reason... people think it's not. So rock the pink.... apparently people will think its fake even if it is your natural color lol. 

omg i'm loving the makeup talk. i love liquid eyeliner..for some reason, i can't get down with gel eyeliner. i bought a gel eyeliner and brush from BH cosmetics and i tried to apply it..no luck at all. i think it's just a matter of sitting down and figuring it out one day. 

i recently went on a journey to find a buildable coverage natural powder foundation since i have some scars and stuff to cover, and fell in love with tarte amazonian clay powder! it's amazing. i just love makeup so much, ahhh.

which brings me to a question: how do you all feel about makeup and interviews? what's too much? 

@Effloresce I personally tend to not think in terms of "too much" but rather "too colorful". I wear makeup everyday. A light foundation, eyeshadow, blush, eyebrow powder, eyeliner, lipstick. I'm not going to change that for an interview. However, I will change the colors. Nude and brown eyeshadow rather than a deep gold or purple. A lighter lipstick  rather than bright red. Plain black eyeliner. No glitter. etc. 

But that is just me. I always prefer people to just be themselves at an interview.  

1 minute ago, sjoh197 said:

@Effloresce I personally tend to not think in terms of "too much" but rather "too colorful". I wear makeup everyday. A light foundation, eyeshadow, blush, eyebrow powder, eyeliner, lipstick. I'm not going to change that for an interview. However, I will change the colors. Nude and brown eyeshadow rather than a deep gold or purple. A lighter lipstick  rather than bright red. Plain black eyeliner. No glitter. etc. 

But that is just me. I always prefer people to just be themselves at an interview.  

yeah, that makes a lot of sense. thanks!

i also wear makeup everyday and was a bit hesitant about it during my first interview weekend. i like to go a bit daring with my lip colors, but i'll definitely tone it down for my next interview weekend. 

44 minutes ago, raaawr said:

that is so true!! but i'm kind of used to how scary it is. lol

did you only apply to 1 school as well? i'm kind of losing hope as well on ever receiving an interview letter. lol. 

try gel liner! in my opinion, it's easier to fix mistakes with gel than liquid cause it doesn't smear so quickly. :)

Yeah, I only applied one place this year. If it doesn't pan out, I'll apply to more than one next year.

Have never tried gel liner, but that sounds ideal. :)

2 hours ago, raaawr said:

have you guys traveled with hair color different from your passport? I haven't done that yet and i'm kind of worried that the immigration officers might not accept me cause i have my natural black hair color on my passport picture. haha. and since it looks like i'm going to get rejected soon i figured i'm going to take a vacation in LA before starting my applications for next season. lol.

If you need any recommendations for things to do/see/eat in L.A. (as well as places to avoid), I'd be happy to help you out! Unless of course you meant Louisiana....then, um... have fun?

12 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

If you need any recommendations for things to do/see/eat in L.A. (as well as places to avoid), I'd be happy to help you out! Unless of course you meant Louisiana....then, um... have fun?

Hahahaha... she said vacation... so there is no way its Louisiana. We just moved from there, and good god I hated it sooooo much. 

5 hours ago, raaawr said:

Lol!What do you do in atomic physics? :) 

Well, right now we're doing a pretty cool project. You know how if you have a positive charge (say, a proton) and a negative charge (say, an electron), they'll attract each other? That happens because the two particles exchange photons (which are basically particles of light), so they can "feel" each other. So we're studying how that happens if we limit them to exchanging only one or two photons, and looking at how their energies and such change. It's purdy neat if I may say so myself :)

Dang... I wish that we could all share the cool research stuff we're working on. I've always loved learning stuff from other fields. Also @FoxAndChicken WHY ARE YOU SO BEAUTIFUL?! I LOVE the hair!!

53 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

I have people ask me on a semi regular basis if my hair is dyed. Its brown. Dark brown. Its my natural color. And for some reason... people think it's not. So rock the pink.... apparently people will think its fake even if it is your natural color lol. 

Lol! I felt awkward at first cause people seem to notice me on the streets more but I am definitely enjoying it.my natural black hair color feels boring now. Lol.

18 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Yeah, I only applied one place this year. If it doesn't pan out, I'll apply to more than one next year.

Have never tried gel liner, but that sounds ideal. :)

Same! I hope it works out for both of us this year but if not, we are more prepared for next year at least. Lol

17 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

I actually lived in LA for less than a year lol. I try to go there every few years cause it still feels like home to me even though I didn't stay that long. I only actually stayed around my area because I didn't have a car but it wasn't also exactly LA. It's near the border of LA county and Ventura county. Are you familiar with agoura hills? It's the suburbs lol! The buses are sparse haha. I would Love to hear your recommendations though. I always just go to my usual spots and I would love to do something different this time. :)

1 minute ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Well, right now we're doing a pretty cool project. You know how if you have a positive charge (say, a proton) and a negative charge (say, an electron), they'll attract each other? That happens because the two particles exchange photons (which are basically particles of light), so they can "feel" each other. So we're studying how that happens if we limit them to exchanging only one or two photons, and looking at how their energies and such change. It's purdy neat if I may say so myself :)

Dang... I wish that we could all share the cool research stuff we're working on. I've always loved learning stuff from other fields. Also @FoxAndChicken WHY ARE YOU SO BEAUTIFUL?! I LOVE the hair!!

Do you do your research under the microscope? I had always been interested in science and using the microscope always fascinated me but for some reason by the time I got to senior year of high school my interests suddenly became art. Lol. I think chemistry and physics scared me with all the computations. Lol. But your research sounds interesting! I'm sure you'll be a wonderful asset in whichever school you decide to go to :)

Someone posted about Dartmouth:

"We are on the verge of sending out offers of admission to our graduate program, and wish to make sure that all candidates we are considering are still interested in being offered the chance to see if our program meets their needs."

I didn't get that email... :( I don't want to read too much into it, but Dartmouth is my top choice, so I'm kind of broken up about this.

Edited by Euler

24 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Oh man that sounds awesome! Like seriously awesome! 

I love hearing about different fields and stuff too :) Not that you've asked but I'm going to share anyway haha. I'm working on a project that uses a model based image matching forensic motion analysis technique to investigate ankle injuries. In lay-mans terms I basically take videos that have been broadcast on the telly of a sports person getting injured, do some funky stuff to them on the computer, recreate the environment in an animation software, apply a skeleton that's matched to that person's body dimensions, then export the resultant code to analyse it. I can then find out what looks to be causing the injury. It's pretty cool because this is a really new technique, only a couple of papers have been published in this area so we're really establishing it in the field right now. 

Anyone else fancy jumping in with what they're working on?

23 minutes ago, raaawr said:

Do you do your research under the microscope? I had always been interested in science and using the microscope always fascinated me but for some reason by the time I got to senior year of high school my interests suddenly became art. Lol. I think chemistry and physics scared me with all the computations. Lol. But your research sounds interesting! I'm sure you'll be a wonderful asset in whichever school you decide to go to :)

Oh, naw... we do theory. So just lots of writing equations on the whiteboard and programming.

And awwww... thanks <3

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

3 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Oh man that sounds awesome! Like seriously awesome! 

I love hearing about different fields and stuff too :) Not that you've asked but I'm going to share anyway haha. I'm working on a project that uses a model based image matching forensic motion analysis technique to investigate ankle injuries. In lay-mans terms I basically take videos that have been broadcast on the telly of a sports person getting injured, do some funky stuff to them on the computer, recreate the environment in an animation software, apply a skeleton that's matched to that person's body dimensions, then export the resultant code to analyse it. I can then find out what looks to be causing the injury. It's pretty cool because this is a really new technique, only a couple of papers have been published in this area so we're really establishing it in the field right now. 

Anyone else fancy jumping in with what they're working on?

That sounds super neat!! I'm curious... how long does it take to make that kind of analysis? 

2 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

That sounds super neat!! I'm curious... how long does it take to make that kind of analysis? 

Once I've got a hang of the software, it'll probably take me about a week total (7x12hrs ish) to match the environment and skeleton to the motion, and then probably a month to figure out the analysis. Obviously it depends, if I'm going to use multiple injuries in the analysis it will take longer. 

I only just started two weeks ago so i'm still figuring out the software. There's a lot of international emails going around at the minute - I'm talking with people in the US, Norway, China and the UK about how to actually do stuff. 

1 hour ago, raaawr said:

You should come to the dark side of geology.... we use microscopes. lol. And lasers. 

2 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Awh thanks! Also, you got into EVERY program??? Omg. That's so many programs. I have had so much fun walking around campus today. I went to Starbucks and the barista taking my order was like "YOUR HAIR IS SO COOL." And then the other barista who delivered my drink was like "Uh... Here's your coff- . . . Oh. My. God. Yasss. That is the- woah. That is amazing. Yes." And I was like "Thank you!" ^_^ Basically, I've been having a lot of fun today looking like a highlighter.

Did you say you're coming to visit UMich? When is that?

Okay I'm confused. One of my schools asked me to make an ID login thing so I did, and now I can access everything - like register for classes kinda access. But I've had no email saying we've accepted you. But all my details (DOB, nationality, degree programme etc) are on the current student portal. And now we wait...

5 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

ne'er a truer word said! 

It's the only country where I've been made to feel like a criminal entering. (I'm not!) They dislike people who've travelled. It's nuts! 

It's funny, I'm a pretty well-travelled American, and I've never had an issue returning to the US. I think my American passport, and the fact that I look like I'm 12 really does the trick.

Aaaaand I'm done. No more interviews! Today was great, loved everything about the program and people. Sad to say it offers the lowest stipend of all the places I applied (by about $2-4,000) but it would be hard to turn them down. I had an interview with a faculty who wasn't my POI, I was kind of thrown off by that since everyone else only met with their POI. But the professor started the interview with "I know you don't do anything in XYZ area (his research area), but I read your application and really wanted to talk to you!" I was definitely honored to hear that :) And we found out we actually have a lot of research ideas in common. Hopefully that gives me an edge in admissions. 

Just now, rosali said:

It's funny, I'm a pretty well-travelled American, and I've never had an issue returning to the US. I think my American passport, and the fact that I look like I'm 12 really does the trick.

Yeah see I'm not American and I've travelled to quite a few African, Middle Eastern and Asian countries for random times, and I've been in and out of the US quite a lot recently (and for like 2 months and a bit at a time). I also had a period of 3 years where I didn't live in the UK so my passport probably raises a fair few flags. 

I've even had the UK border patrol take acouple of looks at me. The downside of having the travel bug I suppose

When you're wait-listed for a school.. and they send you a letter thanking you for submitting an application and how they "look forward to working with you" post interview. Though you have known you've been wait-listed for the last five weeks!!!!!!!!! Way to play with my feelings..... #WineNight #MondayBlues