WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

Just now, Euler said:

It sounds like you've done as much as could be reasonably expected as far as communicating with them.  I know it's easy to overthink everything in this whole process/waiting period, but from what you've said, I can't see anything more you could've reasonably done.

You're deciding something pretty major, that is likely a several year commitment- definitely don't make that decision based on guilt!

As I read this, I realised that this was kind of what I needed to hear, so thank you for that. I don't like letting people down, and as it is an inherent part of the application process, I am not coping particularly well with it.

Got a call from a program I applied to just now. Heart jumped thinking it was an acceptance. Nope. First on the waitlist (on the plus side, if I'm given an offer I'll be awarded a fellowship). Life is officially trolling me. I'm 4/4 with waitlists. If I'm waitlisted for the program I interviewed with today, I am getting on a space ship and leaving the planet for good. 

Edited by artsy16

I only need 11 units to graduate, but I decided to take 17 just because I can. I'm already feeling the repercussions of that. The stress of money (including moving expenses and tuition) and the fact that I'm taking two capstones this semester (one for each major) is starting to pile up. I just want to sleep and wake up in the fall with 12 units and stipend money.

Yeah the university of kansas was actually a person. They were super nice though. Still bummed ha. @kingslayer I know what you mean about taking a lot of classes. I'm taking 15 but they are all super time consuming and I agree with the sleeping part! But I would want to wake up to a dog ha

2 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Yeah the university of kansas was actually a person. They were super nice though. Still bummed ha. @kingslayer I know what you mean about taking a lot of classes. I'm taking 15 but they are all super time consuming and I agree with the sleeping part! But I would want to wake up to a dog ha

This is actually the lightest semester I've had in years. I'm a grader for a history of science survey course and am finishing up my final, required foreign language class.

The grader class is actually somewhat heavy, but I knew that going in. Still far easier than some of my previous semesters (I should clarify that I also work full-time). A few years ago I took a semester with three upper division history courses. I'm pretty sure that tested the limits of what a person can physically accomplish during a semester. Ugh. I also had a one year old during that period.

So tiring.

8 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

Question all: if im interviewing for normal job at same dpt I'm considering offer from, do I tell the interviewer?

I would if they asked, but I'm not sure if I'd volunteer the information.

3 minutes ago, iloveOM said:

@Neist Do you plan to write to Cornell? I sent my email yesterday to ask my status at UIC ( where I did interview one month ago) and then no reply until now. Time to wait haizz...

Someone contacted the STS department a day or two ago and was told that results should be out this week. If I don't hear by mid-week next, I'll probably contact them. The odds are quite stacked against anyone getting into their STS program, but I'm still hoping. :) The acceptance rate is somewhat low.

I'm quickly approaching a point where I should let programs know if I'm not interested in them. I have a feeling I won't be able to notify them as quickly as I would like (because I'm still waiting on NSFGRFP results), but I sort of want to wrap as much up as I can. The NSFGRFP would definitely affect where I attend because of obvious financial considerations.

1 minute ago, Neist said:

Someone contacted the STS department a day or two ago and was told that results should be out this week. If I don't hear by mid-week next, I'll probably contact them. The odds are quite stacked against anyone getting into their STS program, but I'm still hoping. :) The acceptance rate is somewhat low.

I'm quickly approaching a point where I should let programs know if I'm not interested in them. I have a feeling I won't be able to notify them as quickly as I would like (because I'm still waiting on NSFGRFP results), but I sort of want to wrap as much up as I can. The NSFGRFP would definitely affect where I attend because of obvious financial considerations.

So schools do not usually provide funds in your field, and you have to wait for external fund source to decide whether to go or not? If yes, good luck man.

It is raining, and I do not want to go to school in this weather :(

3 minutes ago, iloveOM said:

Sorry, I'm lying here hysterically laughing. If I felt this way I'd never ever ever go to class. We have sunshine outside for what feels like the first time since September :D but most of the time it's disgusting. My walk to campus is ~ 30 mins too so regardless of when I leave I always end up looking like a drowned rat.

4 minutes ago, iloveOM said:

So schools do not usually provide funds in your field, and you have to wait for external fund source to decide whether to go or not? If yes, good luck man.

They usually do, but the NSFGRFP is significantly more than what they normally provide. I have a wife and a daughter, so options that might not be as financially attractive without it become viable with it. Also, I do not believe that all the programs I applied to qualify for the NSFGRFP. I'm pretty sure I have to be in a STS or history of science department to qualify, so I doubt BGSU would qualify (although it'd be awesome if it did).

It's different if you're, say, a chemist. You know every department that accepts you qualifies. I think it gets a little fuzzier when you're doing history of science. I'm not sure if a normal history department qualifies. Maybe? I'd have to pick the NSF's brains if I did get accepted.

I mean, the likelihood of getting a NSFGRFP isn't incredibly likely, but it's more likely than getting into Cornell STS. :D Maybe I'll get lucky.

5 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Sorry, I'm lying here hysterically laughing. If I felt this way I'd never ever ever go to class. We have sunshine outside for what feels like the first time since September :D but most of the time it's disgusting. My walk to campus is ~ 30 mins too so regardless of when I leave I always end up looking like a drowned rat.

Good for you to have sunshine :D Actually we have a lot of sunshine here, and this is the first time we have rain for about 4-5 months. Want to swap place? :D

I have to admit that I love sleeping/playing video game while it is raining outside.

1 minute ago, Neist said:

They usually do, but the NSFGRFP is significantly more than what they normally provide. I have a wife and a daughter, so options that might not be as financially attractive without it become viable with it. Also, I do not believe that all the programs I applied to qualify for the NSFGRFP. I'm pretty sure I have to be in a STS or history of science department to qualify, so I doubt BGSU would qualify (although it'd be awesome if it did).

It's different if you're, say, a chemist. You know every department that accepts you qualifies. I think it gets a little fuzzier when you're doing history of science. I'm not sure if a normal history department qualifies. Maybe? I'd have to pick the NSF's brains if I did get accepted.

I mean, the likelihood of getting a NSFGRFP isn't incredibly likely, but it's more likely than getting into Cornell STS. :D Maybe I'll get lucky.

I am single, so the stress is less than yours. Good luck man! Who know what will happen with admission? Sometime you think you are denied, and then one day you wake up with admission letter in your inbox :D

5 minutes ago, iloveOM said:

I am single, so the stress is less than yours. Good luck man! Who know what will happen with admission? Sometime you think you are denied, and then one day you wake up with admission letter in your inbox :D

Good luck to you too! :) 

Sometimes I don't claim full credit for my accomplishments, but at the very least I hope I'm competitive in both applications. I spent a year working on my NSFGRFP over the course of a seminar, an independent study, and a regular class. And while I'm not published or will hold graduate level degrees, I think I hold an okay chance at Cornell. Top third of applicants, maybe? I have a strong background in HoS/STS, I have good letters from known scholars in both fields, and my writing sample is the best piece of work I've ever done (I've considered trying to publish it).

I'll be disappointed if I don't get either of them, sure, but I regret nothing. The only thing I'd ever regret is if I made a half hearted attempts. I've done my best, so I have to accept whatever outcome as fate.

Just now, rhombusbombus said:

@Neist I feel you. I just want to accept Penn State's offer right now, but I still have a visit coming up and funding letters in the works.

It's responsible to wait and have all of the cards on the table, but damn it doesn't help the anxiety!

I know, right? :) I'm high on a funding wait list, and I've yet to hear back from two schools. I might not hear back from the last two schools for a week or two yet. Ergh. I have no clue what to do. I need more information. *twiddles thumbs*

My hope has dwindled to nothing. Just freaking reject me and get it over with, people.

Had a nightmare last night that I got fired on top of this, leaving me with zero plan B. While in the dream I behaved like a crazy person upon learning this, I'm kind of thinking if I DID get fired, it would be kind of freeing, in the sick sad way one sometimes feels lighter after losing all in a natural disaster or something.

Pink hair, no job, no school...it'll be amazing.

*sobs quietly*

2 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

My hope has dwindled to nothing. Just freaking reject me and get it over with, people.

Had a nightmare last night that I got fired on top of this, leaving me with zero plan B. While in the dream I behaved like a crazy person upon learning this, I'm kind of thinking if I DID get fired, it would be kind of freeing, in the sick sad way one sometimes feels lighter after losing all in a natural disaster or something.

Pink hair, no job, no school...it'll be amazing.

*sobs quietly*

I have a feeling this week is going to be long. I know you've been waiting to hear from BGSU, and I think it's highly likely I'll hear from RPI and Cornell very soon, too.

At least classes this week don't seem all that bad. I do have gigantic pile of papers to grade this weekend. I'm either going to feel motivated and happy or depressed and dreary. Don't think grading 20+ hours of papers feeling like the latter will be fun.

Just now, Neist said:

I have a feeling this week is going to be long. I know you've been waiting to hear from BGSU, and I think it's highly likely I'll hear from RPI and Cornell very soon, too.

At least classes this week don't seem all that bad. I do have gigantic pile of papers to grade this weekend. I'm either going to feel motivated and happy or depressed and dreary. Don't think grading 20+ hours of papers feeling like the latter will be fun.

Hang in there, @Neist. I know grading feeling dreary is terrible, and it's probably not good for those getting graded, either. ;)

I'm meeting a friend for margaritas tonight and thinking I should probably plan one small thing to do like that every day. Last night it was watching a documentary I like, tonight it'll be margaritas, maybe tomorrow I'll pick up a new pair of shoes or something. But yes, otherwise, this is going to feel like one long, horrible week, and it's only Tuesday.

@The Interdisciplinarian and @Neist I'll third the feeling that it's a long week. I keep thinking we're closer to the weekend than we are. It's because I have exciting things next week and so I want it to be next week already. I'm fed up of checkin my emails constantly too.

So I was having nightmares that I would get rejected from Yale, looks like my subconscious was right because I found out yesterday. It wasn't the best fit, so I am not really upset. Still waiting on Columbia which is my other top pick. Either way, I am incredibly grateful that I have two acceptances, and UCLA is likely to give me some sort of financial package. The best part is that the historical dates for Slavic on the results page are so off that you can get a better idea of when you'll hear back by consulting tarot cards and fortune telling.