WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

11 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

That's his motto as well! He graduated with a 4.0 with a BS in geology. He was able to support himself through grants/scholarships along with the odd job every now and then. He took longer so he could live comfortably. Besides I think as a society we are to focused on rushing everything so we can get to the "next stage on time".

I agree with you about society rushing everything like there's a timeline that everyone should follow cause it's the norm. I am against the norm. Lol! And I really hated it when a friend would talk to me and tell me to hurry up with college cause I'm so behind, I graduated college at 25. I'm just a years behind and that doesn't necessarily mean I'm behind because we all have our own pace in life. Lol.

30 minutes ago, iloveOM said:

What time is it at your time zone? Mine is 4:30 am... can not sleep :(

7pm lol! I sleep all day and stay up all night. Hahaa. This morning I slept at 8:30am and all I did was refresh my email every few hours all night haha

1 hour ago, raaawr said:

What kind of mfa do you have and what phd are you applying for? I think if you take the one year certificate in the related field of the phd you're applying for, it might up your application to make it more consistent since you said you have background in different fields. But I'm not 100% sure on that. Lol. In my field i'm considering a post grad certificate as well while I wait for the next application season. Mostly also because I think that will help me improve my portfolio since I believe that has the most impact on art school application. but I have a bachelors on the same field and the mfa I'm applying for is in the same field as well. But my start at bachelors was all over the place though. Lol. I shifted course 2x but I explained that on my SOI

My MFA is in fiction writing, and I'm applying for a PhD in American Culture Studies. I also have a BA in Comminication and an MA in literature. So when I worry about being all over the place, it's all still in areas that my target program covers, really. I think I worry I should be going for a lit PhD instead of an interdisciplinary one. But what I was to do (examine film, TV, music, AND literature) isn't exactly that weird. The addition of a digital humanities cert would maybe bring in some new media stuff.

1 hour ago, raaawr said:

I agree with you about society rushing everything like there's a timeline that everyone should follow cause it's the norm. I am against the norm. Lol! And I really hated it when a friend would talk to me and tell me to hurry up with college cause I'm so behind, I graduated college at 25. I'm just a years behind and that doesn't necessarily mean I'm behind because we all have our own pace in life. Lol.

Yeah my boyfriend graduated at 29! My department had a lot of mid twenties students so I never thought too much of it. We have many years ahead of us to work, we also have savings so we aren't scrambling for money. I'm just happy to explore a new area. I don't really have emotional ties to places so I'm looking forward to moving on.

I'm happy to see that more of y'all are getting great news  this week!

It's shaping up to be another no-news week for me... but I guess it works out since I'm overwhelmed with the pile of work tasks on my desk right now that I don't feel the need to check application portals daily anymore. I'm just going to hold out for any email alerts.

18 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

I just found out that I need another root canal... as if this week wasn't long enough.... now I have that to look forward to. 

Oh god, that is horrible. As someone who has gone through 2 already, I can't tell how much I empathize.

:/

4 minutes ago, BooksCoffeeBeards said:

Oh god, that is horrible. As someone who has gone through 2 already, I can't tell how much I empathize.

:/

I have "soft teeth" or thin enamel. I have a $100 toothbrush, prescription toothpaste, floss daily, no candy, no soda..... 

My dentists basically told me my whole life will likely be like this. Within the last 3 months I've had 19 teeth worked on. Im ready for dentures lol. 

3 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

I have "soft teeth" or thin enamel. I have a $100 toothbrush, prescription toothpaste, floss daily, no candy, no soda..... 

My dentists basically told me my whole life will likely be like this. Within the last 3 months I've had 19 teeth worked on. Im ready for dentures lol. 

That is awful! I really need to make a dentist appointment since I haven't gone in over a year, but now I'm extremely nervous! I've always had shoddy teeth as well.

Looking at the results page, both of the programs I applied to don't send out anything until mid March. Some people were still getting acceptances in June! 

Like the rest of you, i'm finding the waiting torturous. Two of my undergraduate professors wanted me to work on manuscripts with the goal of publication, but I'm finding it so hard to focus when I don't know if I'll get in. I'm always thinking along the lines of "what's the point of all this work if I don't get in"

10 hours ago, nevermind said:

Rock climbing outside all year round? I'm going to be so strong! :)

and by "so strong", I mean...reading and highlighting and note taking.

Aw, I bet you'll have some extra time. :) I'm 100% certain that I'm going to have more time on my hands in grad school than I do now (or at least historically have had), and I have an occasional break of down time.

2 hours ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

My MFA is in fiction writing, and I'm applying for a PhD in American Culture Studies. I also have a BA in Comminication and an MA in literature. So when I worry about being all over the place, it's all still in areas that my target program covers, really. I think I worry I should be going for a lit PhD instead of an interdisciplinary one. But what I was to do (examine film, TV, music, AND literature) isn't exactly that weird. The addition of a digital humanities cert would maybe bring in some new media stuff.

I'm really glad interdisciplinary programs exist. To those of us with odd interests, these programs are almost the only places we can study.

21 minutes ago, sjoh197 said:

I've had some lingering teeth problems from my childhood, although not I'm quite obsessive about brushing my teeth. Like you, rare is a treat of candy or soda. Several brushings a day with a ~$200 toothbrush. Even so, a lot of my dental work has to be redone periodically because dental work doesn't last forever. I shall forever be cursed with dental bills.

In an unrelated note, I did a daily check of my applications. Still no update. I have a feeling that Cornell's aimed notifications this week will happen around 9pm on Friday. <_<

Edited by Neist

2 hours ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Ohhhh it's not all over the place at all! They're all connected one way or the other. Don't worry :)

1 hour ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Yeah my boyfriend graduated at 29! My department had a lot of mid twenties students so I never thought too much of it. We have many years ahead of us to work, we also have savings so we aren't scrambling for money. I'm just happy to explore a new area. I don't really have emotional ties to places so I'm looking forward to moving on.

Yeah! A lot of people are so excited to grow up and start working when in reality, that's basically what we're doing for the rest of our lives. Lol.

1 minute ago, raaawr said:

Yeah! A lot of people are so excited to grow up and start working when in reality, that's basically what we're doing for the rest of our lives. Lol.

I'm a little bit conflicted about the time it took me to graduate. Tuition has steeply rose since I began, so I'm not sure if I've saved much. I was also attempting to avoid loans, but I've had to take some out periodically when finances have fallen short. I'm going to end up graduating with slightly less than the national average student loan debt. 

I'm glad I don't have more loans, but I sort of wish I had simply taken them out 10 years ago.

Applied to UCLA, Tufts, Oregon State, Colorado State, University of Houston, University of Tennessee - Knoxville for PhD and University of Ottawa for MS in Computer Science. Non-POI listed professor contacted me from Oregon State so far. No response from the others.  

4 minutes ago, Neist said:

Awww. Cornell STS rejection just came in. I wasn't expecting much this late anywho.

Oh well! :) 

Aw shucks. When are you expecting to hear from Rensselaer?

Just now, RCtheSS said:

Aw shucks. When are you expecting to hear from Rensselaer?

I was told via email that they hoped to finalized their decisions by early March. However, there's already three acceptances on the results. I assume that RPI has a strange rolling admissions process (before funding decisions are determined), or they've held off rejecting applicants until they know who's matriculating. There's not yet a single rejection on the results, despite there being three acceptances. And those acceptances were almost three weeks ago.

Who knows? I have no clue what to expect from RPI. My gut tells me I'm rejected, but that's probably at least a little bit of paranoia. 

4 minutes ago, RCtheSS said:

This entire process turns into a crapshoot once we've submitted our applications, huh? :P

Unless you're @Pink Fuzzy Bunny! And then you get in everywhere. :P Actually, I have a friend who was admitted to all of the best math programs. 

I didn't have time to get coffee today on the way to work and now I'm trying to bribe my friends to bring me coffee. No luck, though. 

1 hour ago, sjoh197 said:

I think I have the same issue, though my biggest vice regarding my teeth is a lot of tea and coffee. No matter how well I take care of my teeth (including regular cleanings), they always seem to fall apart anyway.

Here's to us, the soft teeth people!!

long time lurker, first time poster!

so...my POI just emailed me saying that it is still "unconfirmed and unofficial," but I will likely be accepted to their PhD program!! At first I was overjoyed, but now I'm not sure how excited I should be. Do you guys think this means I'm definitely IN? I asked them when they the official decisions go out, but they still haven't responded. 

50 minutes ago, FoxAndChicken said:

Unless you're @Pink Fuzzy Bunny! And then you get in everywhere. :P Actually, I have a friend who was admitted to all of the best math programs. 

I didn't have time to get coffee today on the way to work and now I'm trying to bribe my friends to bring me coffee. No luck, though. 

Yeah... I thought I would regret not applying to lower-tier ones, but instead I'm regretting not applying to the Princetons and the Harvards. Oh well, that's a good problem :)

59 minutes ago, RCtheSS said:

This entire process turns into a crapshoot once we've submitted our applications, huh? :P

@A Librarian in the STS thread said RPIs welcome event is this next week, so I'm pretty sure I'm either wait listed or rejected there. A little bummed (because I'd love to live in Troy, NY), but not surprised.

Assuming I am rejected, I'm pretty happy where I stand right now because I can begin considering where I want to go. Really hoping funding comes through at OU so I have a solid second option, but if not, oh well. It wasn't meant to be.

Just now, hippyscientist said:

Aww man Neist, i'm sorry. But at least you got some nice options there - especially if your funding comes through. Fingers and toes crossed for you!

Thanks a bunch! :D I'm not completely disappointed. I'm competing against people with much more education than a BA, so I think I've done well. RPI's acceptance rate isn't horrid, but their average GRE scores are exceptionally high, much higher than what mine were. I'm curious if I wasn't tossed aside immediately, assuming I'm actually rejected.

3 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Yeah... I thought I would regret not applying to lower-tier ones, but instead I'm regretting not applying to the Princetons and the Harvards. Oh well, that's a good problem :)

Same! Now that I've gained a better understanding of how I stack up to other applicants in my field, I'm wishing I'd just paid those extra app fees. That was the biggest thing for me when I decided how many schools to apply to-- but now I'm wondering what would have happened if I had applied to UPenn or Harvard. Still, I'm going for an MA right now and there's nothing to stop me from applying to PhD programs at "elite" schools in two years. (I mean, I know that's a bit messy sometimes and all, but I think you all get what I'm saying.) 

I definitely don't regret cancelling my application to my current University's general psych masters, though! Even as a last resort, I would have been miserable. 

Like you said, it's a good problem and maybe even silly.