WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

1 hour ago, Neist said:

Awww. Cornell STS rejection just came in. I wasn't expecting much this late anywho.

Oh well! :) 

Now you dont have to pay any mentally waiting cost to Cornell anymore :( When do you begin to start packaging to BGSU?

12 minutes ago, tardigrade said:

long time lurker, first time poster!

so...my POI just emailed me saying that it is still "unconfirmed and unofficial," but I will likely be accepted to their PhD program!! At first I was overjoyed, but now I'm not sure how excited I should be. Do you guys think this means I'm definitely IN? I asked them when they the official decisions go out, but they still haven't responded. 

In my view, I think you are in. There is no reason that POI sent out that email when he/she was not sure about your admission. "Unconfirmed and unofficial " may relates to paperwork,I guess.

10 minutes ago, Neist said:

@A Librarian in the STS thread said RPIs welcome event is this next week, so I'm pretty sure I'm either wait listed or rejected there. A little bummed (because I'd love to live in Troy, NY), but not surprised.

Assuming I am rejected, I'm pretty happy where I stand right now because I can begin considering where I want to go. Really hoping funding comes through at OU so I have a solid second option, but if not, oh well. It wasn't meant to be.

Thanks a bunch! :D I'm not completely disappointed. I'm competing against people with much more education than a BA, so I think I've done well. RPI's acceptance rate isn't horrid, but their average GRE scores are exceptionally high, much higher than what mine were. I'm curious if I wasn't tossed aside immediately, assuming I'm actually rejected.

Sorry to hear about Cornell STS, @Neist. There were four rejections and no acceptances on the boards when I saw (similarly, there were no acceptances to Harvard's HoS program either)...so I think it must've been a super small admit group this year (historically, at least one person posts an acceptance). What a bummer of a day. 

20 minutes ago, iloveOM said:

Now you don't have to pay any mentally waiting cost to Cornell anymore :( When do you begin to start packaging to BGSU?

I'm still waiting on OU before really digging into the pluses and minuses of my choices. They had 18 applicants this year and funded the top 2. I'm number 3. If either of them decide to attend elsewhere, I get funding. I mean, I have somewhat decent odds, I think. :) I'm probably not considering Drexel at all because it would be far too expensive to attend.

20 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Sorry to hear about Cornell STS, @Neist. There were four rejections and no acceptances on the boards when I saw (similarly, there were no acceptances to Harvard's HoS program either)...so I think it must've been a super small admit group this year (historically, at least one person posts an acceptance). What a bummer of a day. 

It's all good! I don't think there were any HASTS acceptances either this year.

Things I'm reminding myself today, this last full week of Februgatory:

1. Being put out of my misery is still a good thing.

2. The week is not up yet.

3. Many things can affect funding opportunities, and some may take longer than others to work out.

4. I can start seriously looking at other programs, so it isn't as if I won't have something to do.

5. Reconfiguring my office will be more fun/pertinent if I know I'll be in it for another year.

6. If I don't get in, it could be that it would have been a bad fit.

I hung out with a friend last night who doesn't have her PhD. She's a year older than I am and remarked that she could never start applying to doctoral programs "at her age" and that instead she's focusing on looking toward retirement. While I absolutely respect her feeling on this 100%, I also find it a bit odd, and sort of wonder if every person has a different tipping point. OTOH, she is already in her dream position and has risen to the top of her rank, whereas I have not yet, so that could be part of it. She also has a kid and I don't, so I know going back to school might sound crazy given her busier life.

Is early 40s seriously too old to be doing this?

Well, rejected from Boulder for education. It was my dream school and it hurts a little bit. That's all my applications and as of now I am officially released from APPLICATION PURGATORY! Thankfully I was accepted with assistantship at the school where I got my masters and I'm looking forward to it. Now I can actually start planning my life.

This is probably my last post here. Good luck everyone!! :)

1 minute ago, seaweed sheets said:

Well, rejected from Boulder for education. It was my dream school and it hurts a little bit. That's all my applications and as of now I am officially released from APPLICATION PURGATORY! Thankfully I was accepted with assistantship at the school where I got my masters and I'm looking forward to it. Now I can actually start planning my life.

Cheers, mate!

8 minutes ago, Neist said:

I'm still waiting on OU before really digging into the pluses and minuses of my choices. They had 18 applicants this year and funded the top 2. I'm number 3. If either of them decide to attend elsewhere, I get funding. I mean, I have somewhat decent odds, I think. :) I'm probably not considering Drexel at all because it would be far too expensive to attend.

It's all good! I don't think there were any HASTS acceptances either this year.

You have a really high chance! I wish you will get it , even though you may need to wait some more days.:)

I wanted to apply for Drexel at first, but when I saw its requirement that my undergrad transcript needs to be translated by WES, I flee. This is the only school I know that requires WES or similar translation service in US for PhD application.

3 minutes ago, seaweed sheets said:

Enjoy your new phase of life and good luck! :D

@The Interdisciplinarian No! Don't let anyone try and beat you down about being a returning student...my older students tend to be some of my favorites. They know what they want to achieve, have the patience and wherewithal to attend class and listen well, and generally have better time management skills than my younger students. You're a rock star!

@seaweed sheets congrats! And @Pink Fuzzy Bunny if I didn't congratulate you like a thousand times on your thousand admits, that's awesome!

@Neist how are you doing today?

This week feels very long....I feel awful for not being able to focus on teaching like I should; instead I'm thinking about food, and moving, and how to travel with an anxiety-ridden kitty.

11 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Congrats!

Good day for me too today. School just got cancelled :D

Thanks, and congrats yourself! :D 

10 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

@Neist how are you doing today?

This week feels very long....I feel awful for not being able to focus on teaching like I should; instead I'm thinking about food, and moving, and how to travel with an anxiety-ridden kitty.

I'm doing much better than I would have expected given my rejection. This week was a bit murky for me, too, but I feel a little bit relieved that I'm not waiting to hear from Cornell. I still have no idea what's going on with RPI STS, but that's fine. 

The new waiting game is hoping that I get funding at OU and a NSFGRFP, the latter of which won't happen for over a month.

Thanks, @Neist and @Cat_Robutt. I guess I just don't FEEL "older," especially since among university faculty (I'm on a non-tenure appointment), I'm still one of the younger folks. It's very awkward and in-between to feel like I'm young for some things but already over the hill for others. ;) 

I do love my own...let's not say "older," let's say "over-25" students for the reasons mentioned. They pay attention, they have good insights, and they're not the ones who leave other students hanging for group assignments.

Well, at this point the decision I anticipate having to make is, "what bottle of wine shall I drown myself in at the end of the week?"

Most of my programs have shown some form of interview or acceptance activity at this point. I'm just holding on for dear life hoping that MSU ultimately results in an acceptance... but I'll have to wait until the second week of March to know what happens there. I guess there's still a few more days left before the end of Februgatory, but at this point I'm just trying to be a realist. I just want to have a choice in where I go, instead of "Well, this is all you get! Take it or leave it!" (if that even happens!)

Really don't want to put this off another year... a sentiment many here share. le sigh.

I got a letter today that I was offered a spot with some pretty decent funding at one of my top choices. I've decided to take the offer, even though admissions decisions have not yet come back for my other top choice, mostly because I think when it comes down to it, I'd still choose school A for a myriad of reasons. I'm excited, but I'm also terrified. 

I still have a bunch of hoops to jump through with paperwork and whatever until the whole thing is done deal especially related to funding, so is it cool with you guys if I still hang out here? Once this monitoring at work is done, I'm going to be on GC more. That's my reward as I keep focused on paperwork. 

1 minute ago, Demeter said:

I got a letter today that I was offered a spot with some pretty decent funding at one of my top choices. I've decided to take the offer, even though admissions decisions have not yet come back for my other top choice, mostly because I think when it comes down to it, I'd still choose school A for a myriad of reasons. I'm excited, but I'm also terrified. 

I still have a bunch of hoops to jump through with paperwork and whatever until the whole thing is done deal especially related to funding, so is it cool with you guys if I still hang out here? Once this monitoring at work is done, I'm going to be on GC more. That's my reward as I keep focused on paperwork. 

Congrats! :) Been a lot of good news for a lot of people today. THE END OF FEBURGATORY COMETH.

3 minutes ago, Demeter said:

Congratulations!! I bet it feels good to be done!

@Neist Yes, it does approach! Thank you also for all of your support and encouragement over the last couple of weeks. It's an awesome community here, and I'm glad you're a part of it. 

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny Yes, it does. My funding is unofficial at this point, though, and requires some more forms because of the government, you know, and so I don't think I will feel done until that's a done deal. I'm getting there, though. 

9 minutes ago, Demeter said:

Congratulations! If you're feeling tempted to take that offer, I think you should, terrified or not. ;)