WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

Whelp, my last trump card I was planning on pulling out to send as an update to my applications has fallen through. First-author paper was rejected, and now have to resubmit elsewhere. Won't have a decision on it nearly in time any such updating. Oh well.

16 minutes ago, katpillow said:

Whelp, my last trump card I was planning on pulling out to send as an update to my applications has fallen through. First-author paper was rejected, and now have to resubmit elsewhere. Won't have a decision on it nearly in time any such updating. Oh well.

My first-author paper was just rejected too. Are you secretly me?

1 hour ago, Neist said:

Speaking of dual degrees, I just found out I got funding for the dual degree program I was accepted into. Woo!

YEAH BUDDY!!!!!! WOOHOO

1 hour ago, RCtheSS said:

It's been a long two weeks, but I finally get to edit my signature again! Thankfully with some great news, too. 

I'm still going to hold out for these other programs, but I am so so so happy I can complete the dual degree at UT-Austin.

YEAH BUDDY!!!!! WOOHOO

:D YAY To everyone else who got good news today! I just found out I've been offered a job over my easter break, which would help dissipate some of my moving cost fears

Sorry to those of you who got first-author papers rejected, but at least you have a paper to get published! My old advisor won't let me publish my undergraduate thesis, which sucks because it's worthy of it, and my MSc thesis won't be publishable in time. It'll probably go out first year of PhD.

Edited by hippyscientist

Just now, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Whaaa? Why not?

Can I get away with saying because he said so? It's a long and complicated story that I don't want published on the internet, but long story short it is my advisor basically saying "nope, no nope not going out to try and be published" whereas my current advisor is all "we're going to aim for the best journals in the field and if we don't get into those we'll get you into the next tier down. We're going to get you presenting left right and centre and at international conferences". Last advisor I met at a conference and he literally said "what are you doing here? You shouldn't be here. You don't have a PhD yet."

2 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Can I get away with saying because he said so? It's a long and complicated story that I don't want published on the internet, but long story short it is my advisor basically saying "nope, no nope not going out to try and be published" whereas my current advisor is all "we're going to aim for the best journals in the field and if we don't get into those we'll get you into the next tier down. We're going to get you presenting left right and centre and at international conferences". Last advisor I met at a conference and he literally said "what are you doing here? You shouldn't be here. You don't have a PhD yet."

That sounds like a nightmare- but it's good to hear you have a more supportive advisor now!

27 minutes ago, Euler said:

That sounds like a nightmare- but it's good to hear you have a more supportive advisor now!

Thanks :) Yeah my advisor now is lovely! And the previous guy was great as an advisor initially but wasn't too helpful once I graduated. Oh well, you live and learn!

1 minute ago, hippyscientist said:

@Need Coffee in an IV I'm sorry, but at least you know. I think i'm now at the point where I just want to know, regardless of the outcome.

Agreed. Now that I have an offer that I'm *pretty* sure I'm going to take, I emailed my last remaining school to see when decisions are going out. I'd rather just get it over with and start a new chapter of my life. :)

3 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

@Need Coffee in an IV I'm sorry, but at least you know. I think i'm now at the point where I just want to know, regardless of the outcome.

Ditto! I'm so damn tired of this wait--just give me ANY news. Hell, getting seven rejections in a row at this point may just make my life easier.

16 minutes ago, RCtheSS said:

Ditto! I'm so damn tired of this wait--just give me ANY news. Hell, getting seven rejections in a row at this point may just make my life easier.

I have to admit that the day I got rejected from Cornell was the day a huge burden lifted from my shoulders. I was almost happy.

It's just so exhausting.

49 minutes ago, Euler said:

Dartmouth apparently sent out acceptances and I haven't gotten anything :( It was my top choice, but I guess I'll have to pick a new one.

It's ok, while its beautiful up at Dartmouth, at least you can [probably] be closer to the rest of us in civilization with your other options!

@RCtheSS be careful what you wish for! That's where I'm at now...

Edited by katpillow

1 hour ago, katpillow said:

It's ok, while its beautiful up at Dartmouth, at least you can [probably] be closer to the rest of us in civilization with your other options!

@RCtheSS be careful what you wish for! That's where I'm at now...

Ha! Civilization is overrated- everyone knows it's all about the hermit life.

23 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Meh I guess, I reserve the right to be bitter until tomorrow ha. I guess it was a blow since I felt like Kansas was one of the schools I thought I had a reasonable chance. Now I'm definitely worried about Texas Tech and IUPUI.

Just have hope. I did not even have interview from one school where my professor was there for nearly 20 years, while I have 3 interview from similar/ a little better ranked schools. One school rejects you does not mean every school with similar rank will reject you.

I just finished my interview today. 15 people interviewed for 2 spots. Chance seems small for me :)

50 minutes ago, iloveOM said:

Just have hope. I did not even have interview from one school where my professor was there for nearly 20 years, while I have 3 interview from similar/ a little better ranked schools. One school rejects you does not mean every school with similar rank will reject you.

I just finished my interview today. 15 people interviewed for 2 spots. Chance seems small for me :)

Just remember... admissions is not statistics. They aren't choosing names out of a hat :)

I'm just thinking, what's the next step if I get no admissions? I feel that in science, I need to get a PhD in order to achieve any career advancement. I was thinking MS in Chemistry in the next round of applications, and take a few concurrent enrollment Chem classes while I work. Any advice?