WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

4 hours ago, Dishsoap said:

I'm not certain whether the semester starting tomorrow will have a positive or negative effect on my sanity. It will either keep me busy so the days fly by faster, or compound my stress and irritability until I'm a whimpering mass of snarkiness.

I'm hoping it has a positive effect on my sanity. I'll have so many other things to focus on, so my mind won't have time to stress about interview invites!

For those of you looking for more humorous threads here, I recently found this awesome thread: "When I'm on an admissions committee, I will...". It eventually gets off-topic, but the first page or so is pretty good.

On a side note, do admissions officers actually check Facebook and such to scope out prospective students? I have nothing to hide, it just seems like it would be annoying to hunt down that many applicants...

2 minutes ago, Dishsoap said:

On a side note, do admissions officers actually check Facebook and such to scope out prospective students? I have nothing to hide, it just seems like it would be annoying to hunt down that many applicants...

I doubt they all do and certainly not for every applicant, but it wouldn't shock me if it happened sometimes.  If some employers have done it, then surely some admissions people have.

15 minutes ago, Dishsoap said:

For those of you looking for more humorous threads here, I recently found this awesome thread: "When I'm on an admissions committee, I will...". It eventually gets off-topic, but the first page or so is pretty good.

I think Med school does? But I heard undergrad admissions might but who knows. People change all of their personal info when they are applying haha, it's kind of being over-cautious but if you really do have some saucy stuff on there just be careful?

@Dishsoap I know my linked in profile has had a surge in views since my apps where submitted, so I wouldn't put it past adcomms to also look at Facebook and other social media accounts for a shortlist of people. Obviously not all applicants, that would be far too crazy, but if you've come  across as interesting (gah I hate that word) in your SOP, they might want to see what you're like, and a good way to do that from distance is social media. You shouldn't have anything on there that you wouldn't mind the entire world seeing anyway, but always better to be safe than sorry.

21 hours ago, Extra Espresso said:

There's a chance I'll be going from a warmer climate to a colder climate as well, and I'm kind of nervous about it! I've never lived anywhere where it actually gets very cold, so I'm looking at it as my next great adventure. :)

I moved from beachside Orange County to NYC two years ago.... Up until that point, the coldest place I've ever been to was Berkeley. Read this guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/comments/3sf5f8/the_beginners_guide_to_not_freezing_to_death/ (Applies to males, too)

I know current grad students in the program Facebook search at least, once they know who is being considered. When I went on a recruitment visit two years ago, the current grad students in the program said they "so looked for us on Facebook" lol. 

But my nickname is on fb, and it's all private, so... They'd only be able to see my profile pic anyway. I have my real name and academic stuff on my LinkedIn! 

21 hours ago, Extra Espresso said:

There's a chance I'll be going from a warmer climate to a colder climate as well, and I'm kind of nervous about it! I've never lived anywhere where it actually gets very cold, so I'm looking at it as my next great adventure. :)

I'm in the northeast, I have a lot of good tips! i'm pretty into fashion and actually like dressing for the cold better, I'm going up to Canada for an visit next week, and that type of cold is my next challenge! I wear lots of black (its a nyc thing!), heeled boots, scarves, blazers, and sweaters. Tights are also great to transition dresses into colder weather clothing!

I applied to almost exclusively southern schools and I'm kind of starting to regret it :P  I've lived there before, but spent 95% of my live in the north and don't remember what the day-to-day heat was like. I can handle high temps, but unfortunately it'll be coupled with high humidity. I visited the Midwest in summer once and the dry heat was amazing. As far as tips, all overheard is "you get used to being soaking wet and not being able to breathe because of thick air". Lol

@artsy16 when i've gone from living in the dreary, rainy place called the UK to the heat (Greece/Thailand in particular) the one thing I've found helpful is to take around baby wipes/make up remover wipes (they smell nicer lol) and it's like having a little portable refreshing shower if the humidity starts to get too much. Also (and this is obvious but I'm gunna say it anyway) you will need to drink WAY more water than you think you need to!

1 hour ago, 123hardasABC said:

I moved from beachside Orange County to NYC two years ago.... Up until that point, the coldest place I've ever been to was Berkeley. Read this guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/femalefashionadvice/comments/3sf5f8/the_beginners_guide_to_not_freezing_to_death/ (Applies to males, too)

Ooooh, that's great! Thank you!

11 hours ago, Dishsoap said:

I don't know about Facebook, but my LinkedIn profile has definitely seen a surge in views since I turned in my applications. One view was from a grad student at a school I applied to, and the rest don't show me any information but location, but they are all areas I have applied. 

47 minutes ago, artsy16 said:

I applied to almost exclusively southern schools and I'm kind of starting to regret it :P  I've lived there before, but spent 95% of my live in the north and don't remember what the day-to-day heat was like. I can handle high temps, but unfortunately it'll be coupled with high humidity. I visited the Midwest in summer once and the dry heat was amazing. As far as tips, all overheard is "you get used to being soaking wet and not being able to breathe because of thick air". Lol

I can second that the high humidity is miserable. Super miserable. Thankfully, it's actually quite nice outside in the spring and fall, and winter isn't too dreadfully cold, so it's only the summer months that are truly miserable. 

Thank you both. That is still unbelievably frightening! I've never had to prepare that much just to go from my house to my car :P But I do want to live down south (family scattered all over) so I better get used to it? Maybe I'll settle in Virginia as a happy medium. 

Sent in most of my applications a few weeks ago and I've just had the first of what I'm sure will be many heart-stopping/jaw-dropping emails. Turns out that one of the schools I've applied to are starting to review applications and want to double-check that the list of other places I've applied to is correct and up-to-date. (The first line of the email which flashed up on my phone read just like a stock rejection letter: I'm still recovering.)

Any ideas why they'd be concerned enough about this information to email people to confirm it's accurate?  

Edited by lecturesonnothing
Removed name of school

I looked into applying to a program there and was put off by them asking what other schools I was applying to. Ended up changing my plans (decided to apply to PhD not MA) but IMO that's unnecessary information. 

Isn't it typical that other schools ask where you're applying? Of the 12 schools I applied to, I'd say about 9-10 of them did this... It's really annoying typing out the same list over and over again. From what I've heard, they use it to judge your likelihood of accepting, so they know about fellowship offers and such.

Yes, I know it's pretty normal for them to ask – but I definitely filled out the question on the application (they even quoted my response in their email!) so was surprised to have them email to confirm that what I'd already told them was correct! Never expected it to be anything more to them than 'nice-to-know' background info.
For what it's worth, I'm really keen to go this particular school and if pressed I'd probably say it's my top choice, so I really hope they don't see that I've applied to other prestigious programs and assume that I don't really want to go there. Even weirder, they offer the same fellowship package to everyone who's accepted...

48 minutes ago, lecturesonnothing said:

Yes, I know it's pretty normal for them to ask – but I definitely filled out the question on the application (they even quoted my response in their email!) so was surprised to have them email to confirm that what I'd already told them was correct! Never expected it to be anything more to them than 'nice-to-know' background info.
For what it's worth, I'm really keen to go this particular school and if pressed I'd probably say it's my top choice, so I really hope they don't see that I've applied to other prestigious programs and assume that I don't really want to go there. Even weirder, they offer the same fellowship package to everyone who's accepted...

Surely they can't expect everyone to apply to only one school. There's no way it could possibly hurt you!

My heart keeps skipping with all the spam that I keep hoping are app-related emails, but instead are just "FEELING LONELY AND LOOKING FOR SINGLES?" (no, I'm just looking for an acceptance) and "INCREASE YOUR PEEN SIZE BY THE LENGTH OF 3 FOOTBALL FIELDS" (if only there was a pill to increase my application patience that much...)

Signed,

An apparently "under-endowed [nerdy] single" :) 

Yay! Last exam tomorrow, but absolutely no time to freak about applications this week. Wednesday is sports massage, and catching up on assigned reading and sorting out notes and training (little freak out day). Thursday I start an assignment using a totally new skill-set that will culminate in a "BIG-DEAL research article" according to the module outline, and I also have to be part of a review board meeting that happens every 4 years. It's like the pass/fail for the department from outside agencies, so they want us to say nice things. Still thinking about what I actually want to say because there's definitely some work that could be done to improve things. Friday I have a 4hr (one way) train journey to see my Dad for the weekend and somehow find the time to catch up on all the work I've missed from having a busy week. Maybe there will be some emails.....

Agh busy times busy times. Any one want to bring me some Belgian chocolate?

39 minutes ago, Yav Friendly said:

Seriously. I am watching House right now. If I do not receive email any time soon... there is nothing much I can do about it.

Same. Time to accept my fate soon.