WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

3 minutes ago, Neist said:

Probably not until after next week, but definitely soon.

It's getting to a point in which I need to consider my offers seriously. I need to know what's on the table.

If you don't get in to Cornell, will you be able to be all right with the offers you do have?

Just now, Cat_Robutt said:

If you don't get in to Cornell, will you be able to be all right with the offers you do have?

I will be, but I might have to reconsider any hope or dream of becoming a professor. There's few places that could support my research interests, and many of those places are not in highly ranked schools. All of these other programs are intellectually enriching, I'm sure, and I'd enjoy myself, but most programs do not carry the clout necessary to help me get a job at a university level.

My only funded option at this point is at BGSU for a Pop Culture MA, and I'd love going there. However, I'm not sure what sort of PhD programs that support my interests I could walk into from that program  If I go to BGSU, I'm going to seriously consider stopping at the MA, getting a M.Ed. and a teacher certification, and teach at a pre-university level (which I'd love to do, regardless of the level). 

I want to teach, but I really need to get into an exceptional program for that to be realistic. The STS world is a tiny world, so you really have to stand apart if you want any chance whatsoever.

1 minute ago, Cat_Robutt said:

@Neist wow....that's quite a bit to consider. It sounds like you have some solid plans made, however! Being that organized and resilient is sure to come in handy no matter what you ultimately end up doing.

I'm obsessively organized. :D To a fault, even.

I'm sure everything will work out in the end. Will I be disappointed if I miss my high aims? Sure, but who wouldn't be?

In other obsessive news, I've looked at class schedules for STS courses at Cornell this semester in hopes I can rationalize a later-in-the-evening notification window, if today is even the day they'd do so. 

Another Friday afternoon, settling into that realization that it'll be 2.5 days before any school will update us about grad school applications. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who is approximately 85% more enlightened about my future than last week, though. Now, after 2 years of an MA and 2 years of applying to PhD programs, I can't wait to advise undergrads not to put themselves through grad school.

1 minute ago, hippyscientist said:

@Cat_Robutt CONGRATULATIONS ON PENN STATE!!! I'm so excited for you!

I'm still waiting to hear from them...they're my #1 choice (fingers crossed!).

Best of luck!!! If it's a good fit and things work out, perhaps we could go to the school's free yoga sessions together?

Just now, Cat_Robutt said:

Best of luck!!! If it's a good fit and things work out, perhaps we could go to the school's free yoga sessions together?

Oh I am so down for that. I actually just got back from yoga!!! And just posted some asanas on my instagram. Can you read my mind?? 

Now I want it even more so I can have a grad cafe real-life friend hahaha

4 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Oh I am so down for that. I actually just got back from yoga!!! And just posted some asanas on my instagram. Can you read my mind?? 

Now I want it even more so I can have a grad cafe real-life friend hahaha

Fingers crossed! Toes crossed!

2 hours ago, Neist said:

I'm sort of jumping out of my skin. Cornell is definitely one of my top choices, and it is by far the most prestigious program I applied to. There's been two acceptances posted in the last two years. Both of which were on Fridays, and they fell on Feb. 18 and Feb. 20.

I'm glad to have a funded offer, but none of the other programs I applied to carry the career-making gravity that Cornell STS has.

Isn't Rensselaer a big STS school as well? I know the Fortun's are widely read beyond STS, and I'd wager that the rest of the department is strong also. 

In Canada there is only one STS program with appointed faculty that i'm aware of (York). I'd imagine those #s are going to grow in the next 10 years. Don't lose hope!

Just now, soupman said:

Isn't Rensselaer a big STS school as well? I know the Fortun's are widely read beyond STS, and I'd wager that the rest of the department is strong also. 

In Canada there is only one STS program with appointed faculty that i'm aware of (York). I'd imagine those #s are going to grow in the next 10 years. Don't lose hope!

Thanks!

RPI is a big STS school. It's probably one of maybe half a dozen strong programs in the US. However, my prospects at RPI are a little vague at this point. They accepted three people in a three day period this month (Feb 4-6). I have heard nothing. I eventually contacted them in hopes of clarifying my assumed rejection, but they told me they were still reviewing applications. The optimist in me thinks they haven't gotten to my application yet, but the pessimist in me thinks they might be holding off on rejections until they know if their acceptances matriculate (e.g., maybe I'm wait listed?).

I know Petersons can be inaccurate, but the last reported statistics at Petersons had stated a 33% acceptance rate. I'm not an amazingly strong application, but I have a solid background in the history of science and STS. I also have strong letters of recommendation from scholars in both of those fields. I'd hope I'd be in the top third. Those same statistics state that only 3 out of the 8 admitted students matriculated. Maybe I'm being overly presumptuous, but this, if the numbers are accurate, makes me wonder if the program has limited funding. 

I really can't guess what my odds are at RPI right now. Maybe I'll get in? I'm apprehensively optimistic.

9 hours ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

Yeah congrats to everyone! I'm still waiting on some schools, but I honestly don't think I'd pick any of them over the one I currently am accepted to, except for maybe one or two. 

On another note, I have a job interview for a job that's kinda a dream job and pays well on Tuesday (it's ironically in the same department as where I got accepted). Do I take the interiew? Cancel it? Consider the job over a PhD? Input pls. 

I would go to the interview and see what happens! Tbh I would take the job over the PhD, but I'm going to grad school so I could get my dream job. In my opinion grad school will always be there, this interview/job won't. Good luck!

5 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I would go to the interview and see what happens! Tbh I would take the job over the PhD, but I'm going to grad school so I could get my dream job. In my opinion grad school will always be there, this interview/job won't. Good luck!

When I say dream job, I mean "dream entry level job". There are zero advancment oppurtunities and everyone goes to grad school after. I got into probably one of the top programs in the country for my field so its tough. But, I could always ask the job if they'd be open to me working part time. 

1 minute ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

When I say dream job, I mean "dream entry level job". There are zero advancment oppurtunities and everyone goes to grad school after. I got into probably one of the top programs in the country for my field so its tough. But, I could always ask the job if they'd be open to me working part time. 

Oooooh ok, that changes my answer then! Yeah you could go to the interview and bring up working part time. The worst they can say is no!

1 hour ago, rosali said:

@Demeter Homemade pizza! One of my flatmates is going through a really rough breakup, so we're commiserating, and eating, and drinking alllllll the wine. :)

we just made homemade pizza yesterday for my hunny's birthdays. And strawberry cake. Tomorrow we get to go visit our new kitty for a little bit... So overall a good couple of days, despite the stress.

Aww, man. Cornell STS just posted an acceptance. 

Well, my heart just sunk a little.

Think it's time to get drunk. 

Edited by Neist