WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

Just now, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Too bad grad schools can't be like undergrad sometimes and see "potential" haha

This is the thing. I've been told to not bother applying for a couple of awesome programmes because I won't have the degree certificate for my masters in time. I will have finished all requirements, including writing up my research in July, but don't get the piece of paper until December. These schools won't look at me until I have that piece of paper. It's so frustrating because due to admin processing, it means that I potentially am forced to take a gap year between finishing my masters and starting a PhD, despite the fact all course work will be completed. The 4 schools I applied to this application season acknowledged that stupidity and said to apply anyway, and if accepted, provide the certification when I have it. I'm bummed out because I got rejected from a school because I had no proof of graduate level work - my masters GPA is 4.0 but they didn't want to know about it because I didn't get any grades til January. AGHHHhhh international mis-timings!!! Okay rant over. 

1 minute ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Yeah I was kinda using the internet as my main guide for programs, and Oregon was my "I will enjoy this a lot" choice. But I'm now starting to realize that this university will be not afforable, which is kinda sad. It looks amazing but I can't see myself being 51,000 in debt for a career that won''t make a lot of money.

This makes me so incredibly grateful for all science PhD programs being fully funded. It was such a relief to not have to worry about the monetary factor (which was a huge consideration for undergrad). That really sucks. :(

3 minutes ago, pterosaur said:

Kind of similar, actually. My background is in motor neuroscience, so the professors I was consulting with weren't terribly familiar with bioinspired robotics programs!

I actually put more effort into looking for grad school than I ever did for undergrad! It was always funny/awkard asking for ideas from my advisor. She would always ask me if I was sure if I didn't want to study geology. I'm kinda hoping her letter will give me a boost since she used to teach there even if it was in a different department.

4 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

This is the thing. I've been told to not bother applying for a couple of awesome programmes because I won't have the degree certificate for my masters in time. I will have finished all requirements, including writing up my research in July, but don't get the piece of paper until December. These schools won't look at me until I have that piece of paper. It's so frustrating because due to admin processing, it means that I potentially am forced to take a gap year between finishing my masters and starting a PhD, despite the fact all course work will be completed. The 4 schools I applied to this application season acknowledged that stupidity and said to apply anyway, and if accepted, provide the certification when I have it. I'm bummed out because I got rejected from a school because I had no proof of graduate level work - my masters GPA is 4.0 but they didn't want to know about it because I didn't get any grades til January. AGHHHhhh international mis-timings!!! Okay rant over. 

That is really lame! I had a mini rant against colorado since they were like "oh we prefer our applicants to have several years of experience" Uhhh I've had internships and jobs with museums for two years now! That's why I'm going to grad school so I can get the job I want. Because without this masters I'll be stuck making 9-10 an hour.

Yeah I was kinda using the internet as my main guide for programs, and Oregon was my "I will enjoy this a lot" choice. But I'm now starting to realize that this university will be not afforable, which is kinda sad. It looks amazing but I can't see myself being 51,000 in debt for a career that won''t make a lot of money.

Drexel was sort of like that for me. I'd love to go there, and they have financial support, but their information never stated the extent of that financial support. Drexel would probably cost 70k in loans. For a boutique MA degree. Ergh.

4 minutes ago, pterosaur said:

This makes me so incredibly grateful for all science PhD programs being fully funded. It was such a relief to not have to worry about the monetary factor (which was a huge consideration for undergrad). That really sucks. :(

Yeah every other program I applied too does offer funding so I hope I get in! Oregon is a terminal degree so I understand why theres little to no funding. I'm stopping at a masters, I can't see myself doing a PhD. I'm going to grad school so I can get a job in museums or at least this will help me get a job. I have no debt from undergrad so I won't mind taking out very small loans but not a years salary!

Had two acceptances so far - but no info on funding.  Torn between the amazing feeling of actually having been accepted somewhere and the anxiety of not knowing if I'll actually be able to afford going to grad school. And still waiting on four other responses. Been binge watching Netflix and eating way, way too much chocolate these past days, instead of writing my Master's thesis, haha. But this forum is amazing, it's so great to read about everyone's stories! Good luck for the waiting, everyone!! At what point should I give up waiting to hear from my last universities???

15 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

Dont give up until april 15th!

It's a simple reminder, but one I needed to hear for sure- thanks!

Now if my brain could stop processing grad school things for a day when I won't get any decisions, that would be great...

Yeah I don't feel well and I have tests coming up. So of course I'm refreshing my email, results forum, and watching shows instead ha.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. To try and get some time away from the laptop I baked blueberry muffins, except I forgot to put the flipping blueberries in them. So I made muffins, with a side of blueberry sauce. Other procrastination methods today have involved deep cleaning my house, researching schools to apply to next application season, looking at apartments at all the schools I have yet to hear back from, taking a massively long shower and fake tanning (because it's the middle of winter and I feel so much more human when I'm tanned), planning an imaginary trip to Thailand with my best friend and netflix. I think I am worn out from procrastination now. 

Guys! I'm fairly sure I'm getting rejected from all my programs, but I found some really awesome ones I didn't even know about to apply to next year! I'm getting all excited again! 

Also, I'm making channa masala for dinner, and that's exciting too!

3 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. To try and get some time away from the laptop I baked blueberry muffins, except I forgot to put the flipping blueberries in them. So I made muffins, with a side of blueberry sauce. Other procrastination methods today have involved deep cleaning my house, researching schools to apply to next application season, looking at apartments at all the schools I have yet to hear back from, taking a massively long shower and fake tanning (because it's the middle of winter and I feel so much more human when I'm tanned), planning an imaginary trip to Thailand with my best friend and netflix. I think I am worn out from procrastination now. 

Spreading some blueberry sauce on a muffin sounds even better than blueberry muffins! That doesn't sound like a mistake to me.

3 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Sorry for not responding!! I'm not a wine person, so I must place this beautiful duty in the hands of someone more qualified.

It is a good thing you didn't respond. If I had another bottle last night, this morning would feel significantly different.

I'm correcting rough drafts (72 in total, woof) and chugging coffee like a champ. Also, my username/password to login and check my application on MyCUBoulder stopped working today. I hope that's a good sign? My gut says no; my brain says it's likely a simple technical issue.

I finally found a way to stop checking my email every 10 mins! Lol. I'm going to be dropping a client soon and I'm dreading reading her emails lately cause she's such a monster client so now I've stopped checking my email as much as I used to so I don't have to see the hell client's name on my screen. Lol

13 minutes ago, raaawr said:

I finally found a way to stop checking my email every 10 mins! Lol. I'm going to be dropping a client soon and I'm dreading reading her emails lately cause she's such a monster client so now I've stopped checking my email as much as I used to so I don't have to see the hell client's name on my screen. Lol

Well, that's a blessing in disguise (and likely necessary for your sanity). I haven't stopped checking my email because I usually have a few students emailing me every day, and I used my faculty email account on all my apps,

Guys... I know this is the biggest "first world problem" that the world has ever seen, but...

I really have my mind set on Cornell, but a professor e-mailed me from Boulder offering me more money via fellowship. But that's not even the good part. He gave me his personal cell number and said he'll be calling me in a few days. The name sounded familiar.... because he won the NOBEL F*CKING PRIZE.

And so, for the fourth time this month, I'm going to look over my application materials and see if I accidentally lied somewhere!

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

1 minute ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Guys... I know this is the biggest "first world problem" that the world has ever seen, but...

I really have my mind set on Cornell, but a professor e-mailed me from Boulder offering me more money via fellowship. But that's not even the good part. He gave me his personal cell number and said he'll be calling me in a few days. The name sounded familiar.... because he won the NOBEL F*CKING PRIZE.

I think this is like Marie Antoinette complaining about her makeup to the angry peasants. Its like i hate you because I'm jealous haha. But thats pretty awesome!

8 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

new shit to freak out about: taxes, moving, packing, minimizing all of my things that i've spent years accumulating!!

I've already made a spreadsheet listing all the crap I need to take care of between now and August-September. Started piling up clothes items to donate and furniture to sell on craigslist.

4 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Dang, Boulder must really want to impress you! I'd hear this professor out for sure. Why are you currently set on Cornell?

Edited by RCtheSS