Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread

gingin6789

10 hours ago, kameldinho said:

Sigh, it never ceases to amaze me how trigger happy you all are and eager to one up another poster. First, noticed I prefaced the post with the qualifier "this early".

Second, what is it, like a handful of LRM programs who do these mandatory interviews for everyone? Interviews still won't happen for the vast majority of North American applicants, unless you are disproportionately applying to these LRM places...which i guess everyone on this board is doing. Anyone wants to take a guess as to why applicants to top programs don't post here?

I've seen a few posters this season, who are applicants to top programs - myself included. 

People who get into top programs are either working full time jobs, currently in an MA program, or currently in peace/americoprs. I.E., working their ass off w/o time to participate in small-talk or off-topic conversation, but trust me they are looking at the results board. it's a very useful resource and if they know it exists they are checking once a day at least

8 hours ago, KLPLANTER said:

People who get into top programs are either working full time jobs, currently in an MA program, or currently in peace/americoprs. I.E., working their ass off w/o time to participate in small-talk or off-topic conversation, but trust me they are looking at the results board. it's a very useful resource and if they know it exists they are checking once a day at least

Hmmm...Well, I'm an Americorps VISTA alum, have 13 years of professional experience, currently manage a statewide program for one of the world's largest non-profits, volunteer for three additional organizations, act as an advisor for a young professionals network, and am completing my Masters at the same time...maybe I actually have a shot in the dark of getting in, regardless of my shitty quant score. At least, I'm praying, crossing fingers, eyes and toes, and working all kinds juju in hopes of it. :)

I work my ass off, but still find a few minutes to participate in small-talk and off-topic conversation. It helps to calm my nerves while waiting. 

Oh - BIG CONGRATS to whomever received admission to UCLA, today!!!!

Edited by Shay825

Hey, so I'm a huge idiot and I need some advice. I submitted all my apps in October/November and then just sat around with a smile waiting. Now I realized I never sent my GRE scores, that I just uploaded the PDF of my score report. I sent them in yesterday and it says the schools received them today. How bad is this for my application chances? Will they have not even looked at my application without the official score in? Should I call them to make sure they all get them rather than waiting for the checkmark that says they did? Halp!

It's not that bad, I had a friend who did the same and still got into chicago, but you always wanna be on the safe side :) Even though ETS is telling you that the schools received them, I believe it takes about a week. Just contact admissions, and don't worry about it. To be honest, uploading the score report is just as fine, but, again, to ease your mind call up admissions tomorrow and kindly explain the situation. 

Are you able to see the status - whether or not the school received the report - through the application website, it's usually like a self-tracking page that lets you see what they've received and what they haven't. 

2 minutes ago, s0ciology1992 said:

It's not that bad, I had a friend who did the same and still got into chicago, but you always wanna be on the safe side :) Even though ETS is telling you that the schools received them, I believe it takes about a week. Just contact admissions, and don't worry about it. To be honest, uploading the score report is just as fine, but, again, to ease your mind call up admissions tomorrow and kindly explain the situation. 

Are you able to see the status - whether or not the school received the report - through the application website, it's usually like a self-tracking page that lets you see what they've received and what they haven't. 

Phew, thanks. I thought maybe the schools would be sticklers and say I missed the deadline so my app didn't count! That would be....less than ideal. I'll call them tomorrow and let them know, thanks 

So I called up two departments. One was pretty rude and the admissions person just said it's been too soon to know if my scores were there, but when I wanted to talk about the overall situation she just didn't seem to care. The other department's person was incredibly helpful. She basically said that the process is secretive and they totally could've reviewed my application with only the score report, but that she didn't know. She didn't think it was a fatal flaw, but that it might delay my review or "put a small smudge on an otherwise perfectly polished shoe," and said when my score comes in they'll try to match it as quickly as possible. Anyone know how quickly it takes for scores to come in? ETS says they all arrived yesterday, but who knows.

I also sent follow up emails to all departments. Such a bummer since I literally had an otherwise completed application submitted in the middle of October, and then checked my application status for the first time and went "whooooops."

My GRE scores are pretty strong (only ~70% in quant but above close to a perfect score in verbal), and I think my overall application is really good (I only applied to a small number of the top programs). I don't feel like waiting an entire year to apply again.

Here's to hoping I get decisions eventually, one way or the other.

10 hours ago, s0ciology1992 said:

Yes, good luck, and keep us posted! 

3 hours ago, aks33755 said:
19 minutes ago, mrbmrbmrb said:

@aks33755 I guess I'll be seeing you there!

First post on this forum and it's exciting news! I have an interview with Rice. Was notified via email a few days ago. It's all happening!

@mrbmrbmrb I guess so! Which program sessions are you going to? I'm going to Race/Ethnicity and Population/Health.

Edited by aks33755

Great job to aks and mrb!! Good luck at your interviews!! 

Also saw some notices for UC Irvine and UCLA today, in addition to more Notre Dame interviews! Great to see some movement!!! 

Edited by gingin6789
Random question marks

2 hours ago, KLPLANTER said:

Can anyone explain why it appears that Notre Dame interviews were confirmed different days? Usually schools do everything at once, as Irvine appears to have done yesterday.

Most likely because people were busy and didn't report it on the day of. It's also possible that they picked the wrong date when reporting it.

I think for Notre Dame they just notified on different days- possibly depending on your research focus? I got a call from a POI about my application before getting a call from the admissions committee. I looked at last years and they seem to notify over a few day span! 

11 hours ago, flatnwhite said:

can claim a UC Irvine acceptance. i was surprised it happened so early. in fact, if i read the results board accurately, the earliest ever! wonder what could be a contributing factor.

Congratulations!!!!

Care to share your stats? GPA? GRE scores? Interests? :)

Edited by courtnk1
add

hey, thanks, @courtnk1! gladly! i'll send the stats per pm. 

interests: world society theory, globalization, nationalism, empire, (higher) education (more as nation-state/world institution, per se, less as a machine of social stratification). that Irvine's got schofer, david frank, and hironaka makes it one of the best fits, since they're all former students of john meyer and/or francisco ramirez.

i must confess! i am also a loud, proud feminist. and i've written an empirical paper testing feminist/queer assumptions of gender-as-performance as an explanation of differences in primary school outcomes. it's a goal that i'll get the chance, wherever i end up, to use queer theory/feminist theory at the macro level, too. david frank's into minority sexuality legislation as an outcome of macro world-cultural processes--i might have the chance to court him on such a project. :-P

Hi Everyone!

After seeing someone post an Ohio State acceptance last night in the results I optimistically checked their site. I clicked through the application decision and got a message saying I had been offered admission. Tempering my excitement is that I haven't actually heard anything from Ohio State via email or anything. It sounds funny to say it, but I'm not 100% confident it's for real yet. Has anyone experienced something similar?

-Kat

PS. Congrats to all the Irvine acceptances and interviews out there!